Electric Power Steering in a 78 FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You have a one piece steering column don't you? Can't do EPS with these without going through a lot of effort.

yeah I know nothing about electric power steering, figured it would be possible somehow, maybe switch to a later column or custom setup....

31x10.50 on the tires. 2.5 inch lift.

Update**
Got all the wiring hooked up. You need to run one thick red wire to the batt (always hot) and the other thinner red wire to switched power. I also mounted my adjustment knob just under the drivers side bolt that holds the steering column to the dash.
I decided to run these wires directly off the two blades on the fuse box that were not being used.
The reason is because it's very convenient and close to each other.
Anyway... hooked it up, turned the key and bam I have power steering. It wasn't as much assist as I thought it would be, but I think that's a good thing. Definitely not a one finger assist.
It also had a slight kick back a couple of times. Not sure what that is. I will give it a road test on the next sunny day. :)

Have you had a chance to test out the system further? I asked the factory about the kick-back. They are not sure exactly what that means, but they said if the voltage drops to below 10.5 V or so, the system might power down momentarily. Therefore, the preferred setup is to connect the "30+" wire directly to the battery as opposed to the fuse box. Not saying that's the cause but it's worth checking. The easiest way to check is to measure the voltage at the ECU connector and see if the voltage holds under load. Do this with the engine running of course.

Have you had a chance to test out the system further? I asked the factory about the kick-back. They are not sure exactly what that means, but they said if the voltage drops to below 10.5 V or so, the system might power down momentarily. Therefore, the preferred setup is to connect the "30+" wire directly to the battery as opposed to the fuse box. Not saying that's the cause but it's worth checking. The easiest way to check is to measure the voltage at the ECU connector and see if the voltage holds under load. Do this with the engine running of course.

I did some more testing. The kick back only occurred when the engine was NOT running, I went around the block a couple of times and didn't experience any issues, also no issues when sitting still with the motor running. I'm going to leave it connected to the fuse box after these tests as I do not feel it will be an issue moving forward, and the fuse box option is a cleaner one regarding wiring.

The feel of the steering is very modern. At least that's the best way I can describe it. Keep it turned down and it behaves alot like a newer car. I like that it has less assist than a hydraulic set up when sitting still, but still easy to turn the wheel.

Overall I could not be more happier with the setup. Anyone out there contemplating a PS upgrade, should seriously consider this option. Cost is the only issue when compared to a mini truck setup. Going with a Saginaw would be very comparable cost wise, prob more if your not doing it yourself.

I'll post up some final install pics here soon.

:cheers:

Great to hear! I think what you're saying does connect the dots for me. When you initially tried it with the engine off, the alternator isn't charging and the voltage may very well have dipped below 10.5 V. Looking forward to the pics!

I'm not overly impressed with how the FJ40s are wired. Main supply to the AMP gauge and then on to the fuse box. Not very big wires either. I pulled my power off the starter post where the big cable from the battery connects with a much larger wire. I was able to run the wire through an existing grommet that had an extra un-used passageway and added a 2nd fuse box w/ modern blade fuses. I did this on the passenger side behind the plastic duct where the fan controller and seatbelt buzzer live. Probably being over paranoid but since the assist unit could pull 40 or 50 amps I didn't want the risk. Realistically - I'm only using about 30% of the assist so may have been over-kill.

It does not draw 40A constantly. As soon as you feel a force in the steering wheel, the current raises instantly into the thirties range.
So proper wiring is manantory..
When voltage drops to below 10.5V at the ECU, a relevant steering power loss will also accur...

Peter

Ok. Here are some final installed shots. As you can see, I think my mounting solution was actually pretty good. Another picture shows the view from the drivers position showing the motor, and how far it sticks out. You can also see in another picture the main wire that comes from the motor up through the pedal assembly avoiding the clutch pedal.
20160218_202753.jpg
20160218_202604-1.jpg

Okay, so completely out of left field......

I was reading up on this thread, considering the possibilty of getting one of these systems for my BJ. I made my way to the ezpowersteering.nl website and upon clicking brands, and then toyota, noticed the blue cruiser in the pictures looked familiar.

I swore to my better half "this looks just like mine!". Low and behold, it is my cruiser. I went out tonight and verified that sure enough, my BJ45 has what looks like an early version of this electric steering installed. I saw the wiring going from the driver battery to the fuse panel when I picked her up, but initially wrote it off as for the 12v aftermarket stereo. I hadn't had a chance to really look under the dash to figure out what the small switch and dial (potentiometer) were for but you can be damned sure I just went out and checked... Too cool! I don't think it is activated or hooked up so I will grab my DVOM and check things out better in the daylight this weekend.

Here are some pics (sorry for the bad light - night shot). I've no idea when/where/how it was installed but please let me know if you have any comments or questions about it.

Ez steering

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow. Congratulations. Maybe you should also look under the carpet and find some gold nuggets...

Sorry pal, no carpets on this one....

I wasn't trying to jack crazygreeks build thread, just got excited that there is a relevant conversation going on this.

Okay, so completely out of left field......

I was reading up on this thread, considering the possibilty of getting one of these systems for my BJ. I made my way to the ezpowersteering.nl website and upon clicking brands, and then toyota, noticed the blue cruiser in the pictures looked familiar.

I swore to my better half "this looks just like mine!". Low and behold, it is my cruiser. I went out tonight and verified that sure enough, my BJ45 has what looks like an early version of this electric steering installed. I saw the wiring going from the driver battery to the fuse panel when I picked her up, but initially wrote it off as for the 12v aftermarket stereo. I hadn't had a chance to really look under the dash to figure out what the small switch and dial (potentiometer) were for but you can be damned sure I just went out and checked... Too cool! I don't think it is activated or hooked up so I will grab my DVOM and check things out better in the daylight this weekend.

Here are some pics (sorry for the bad light - night shot). I've no idea when/where/how it was installed but please let me know if you have any comments or questions about it.

What a find. Where are you located, and how long have you owned this truck? If you need some help getting it working, PM me; I should be able to connect you with someone from the factory.

Last edited:
Racer, I'm in Italy right now. I just got the rig a couple weeks ago from the Netherlands.

I went through the wiring and found one of the wires going from the motor relay box (control unit?) to the assist adjustment knob was pulled out. Hooked it up and it works great. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes in slow driving conditions - like parking this beast in small Italian spaces

Racer, I'm in Italy right now. I just got the rig a couple weeks ago from the Netherlands.

I went through the wiring and found one of the wires going from the motor relay box (control unit?) to the assist adjustment knob was pulled out. Hooked it up and it works great. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes in slow driving conditions - like parking this beast in small Italian spaces
Awesome! :cheers:

Here are a few more pics; Notice where they apparently notched the lower housing - I'm not sure if this was to clear the clutch lever or to allow better access to the bolts to the upper portion of the steering column ??

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got the wiring squared. Large wire going from driver battery to the converter (12/24v). Power goes from there to the ESC module, the assist adjustment knob (potentiometer) and then to the steering shaft assist motor. It seems power is also supplies from the converter/step-down to the 12v stereo. I haven't chased the wiring to the hitch (7pin) back yet or read things out with the meter yet but more to follow...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom