Darien Gap Jungle Expedition (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im just going to say it. It is absolutly the most dangerous place in the world. The likelyhood of crawling a group of vehicles through that jungle without being kidnapped for ransom, killed for your supplies or just left without any supplies is zero. The guerrillas (from many different sects.) drug smugglers, and just plain murderous kidnappers own that jungle. They don't understand anyone who enters and attempts to cross the jungle "just for the conquest". They view anyone who crosses their path as a threat to their survival. I wouldn't cross that bug infested crap hole in an armored humvee full of ar15's. But, good luck with your adventure!
Thank you for your input. There is feedback from others who have been in the area who would disagree with you. According to National Geographic, FARC stated in 2013 that they will no longer hold civilians hostage for ransom after the killing of Swedish backpacker Jan Philip Braunisch. Prior to the 2013 incident, the media has not publicized any kidnappings of travelers in the Darien Gap in thirteen years, since Robert Young Pelton from National Geographic was held for a week by FARC. But I can see that the fear campaign continues... In the first 8 months of 2015, the New York Times cited the following murder rates in the US: Milwaukee-104, St. Louis-136, Baltimore-215, Washington DC-105, New Orleans-120, Chicago-294, Kansas City-54, Dallas-83, New York-208, Philadelphia-171. Again, that's just in 8 months. Number of murders in the Darien Gap in the same time frame? ZERO. Is the Darien Gap dangerous? You betcha. Is there an ongoing campaign by the media and the U.S. government to keep people out of the Gap for political reasons? You betcha. With 1490 murders in 8 months in only a handful of US cities... I think I am considerably safer in the Darien Gap. So, to close, in reference to your opening statement, The Darien Gap is far... Very far from being "absolutely the most dangerous place in the world".
upload_2016-2-10_13-53-52.png

Last edited:
Hmmm.

So the most murderous cities in the US (per capita) are about equal to the murder rate of Panama. :hmm:

Columbia is twice as high. List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The argument isn't about the cities in those countries, or the murder rates in those countries. The argument is regarding the Darien Gap, and there have been no documented murders, or even kidnappings of international travelers in the Darien since 2013, with the previous incident being in 2003, 16 years ago. The attempt to spread unsubstantiated fear was met with the fact that the Darien Gap is obviously not the "absolutly [sic] the most dangerous place in the world". The information repeated from the New York Times simply illustrates that this is obviously not the case. Yes, Medellin, Baltimore, Bogota, and Detroit are considerably more dangerous than the Darien Gap. Thanks.

upload_2016-2-10_16-31-53.png

Last edited:
image.png

upload_2016-2-11_11-25-25.png

I'm following your thread. Frankly, I find this expedition fascinating! I'm looking forward to following along as you make the crossing.

But, do you mind telling us why you're posting and then deleting the posts?

Oh sure. I started looking at the resolution of the information regarding where we were going to be, when we were going to be there, and it occurred to me that I was perhaps providing too much information and in too much detail. Considering this is an open forum, and anyone could see where we were planning on going, it's very possible that it could be detrimental to security. Also, I felt like there was a lot of "filler" information that while informative, was not really important. I do notice that much of the text that was posting gets copied onto people's responses, so much of the content is still there, it's just not duplicated...

Oh sure. I started looking at the resolution of the information regarding where we were going to be, when we were going to be there, and it occurred to me that I was perhaps providing too much information and in too much detail. Considering this is an open forum, and anyone could see where we were planning on going, it's very possible that it could be detrimental to security. Also, I felt like there was a lot of "filler" information that while informative, was not really important. I do notice that much of the text that was posting gets copied onto people's responses, so much of the content is still there, it's just not duplicated...
In the future, I may post some things temporarily so that folks like yourself can see details, but then I'll remove it after a couple of days so that the information doesn't sit out there for the whole world to find. I think that was also some of the intent to posting and then removing... At this point there are two of us with trucks, and I'm hoping for a third to join in. I have to start considering the safety and security of those who are joining and potentially joining the expedition. TMI up front might even prevent some interested individuals from coming aboard. Just trying to be prudent and respectful to those who are involved and may become involved. Some of this perspective culminated after I googled my name and this page came up. Soon anyone that googles Darien Gap will get this page too. You see where I'm going with this...

Last edited:
image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't have a 70 series, but often day dream about a Darien Gap crossing. I hope this expedition happens, is successful and that every moment is documented.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't have a 70 series, but often day dream about a Darien Gap crossing. I hope this expedition happens, is successful and that every moment is documented.
LOL! I nervously dream about it every day!

Mark1.jpg

Mark 3.jpg
Mark4.jpg

Valuable magazine find... Mark Smith is an ICON. Semper Fidelis Mark. You will be missed...

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

God I love my truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom