School me on split rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking about going to a split rim for my 78 40 pls. School me,I don't know anything about them versus the oem steelies I have on there.

Do you need to run an inner tube?
Can you mount a modern tubeless tire?
Pros and cons between between split and oem steelies besides able to change a tire on the trail
Cool factor I definetly like.

Splits have to run tubes, and boots on the rims.

You can use tubeless tires, but that doesn't negate the need for a tube and rim boot.

I'm not familiar with the splits that Toyota supplied. I have read that their design was a safer item to use, but not sure. In general, you may have to go to a tire shop that is familiar with truck rims to find someone who will work on splits. A shop that works on splits will have a cage that they put the tire into BEFORE airing up the tire after having the split rim apart. Splits are known to fly apart during the air up procedure and kill the tire tech. This is the reason for the cage when airing up after having the rim apart.

When working out in the open with splits (no cage available) it is common practice when airing up to slide the tire and rim under the vehicle for safety reasons.

Truck type tires have such a stiff sidewall that they can't be installed on a standard passenger car type rim, which is the reason for splits.

Don

ps- Johnny must type faster than I do. By the way, I have had splits on past vehicles, and have no complaints. You just need to know about how to deal with them.

Last edited:
Split rims are popular in developing nations. Toyota still offers split rims on their newest versions of the 70 series that are still available in places like Papua New Guinea where I am, (though they switched to a wide 5 lug pattern, more's the pity). Locals prefer the split rims because they claim that it is easier to change tires in the bush with split rims. Personally, I don't understand this, I'll take one piece rims and big tire irons and a can of silicon spray any day, even with Jeep Service tires.

Last edited:
Its a fact split rims are better in the boonies and if you know what your doing you can have a tyre off in less time than it takes to take the wheel off. With some glue and an assortment of patches not much you can't fix, tubeless tyres not so much. And why are people talking about finding a shop that deals with them the whole point is you can do it yourself with a couple of irons and a mallet.
PS Nearly forgot splits are so much cooler.

I know it's been mentioned, but just to make sure you know that you might not be able to find a shop that will deal with them. Most/all tire places will just turn you away. So make sure you want to do it yourself. I live in South Carolina, one of the less regulated states for automobiles/safety and no one would touch them.

Funny I never even bother to bring them into a shop... I used to work in a shop long ago and had done many tires changes on others cars... I know the response I would get... I got the rims because I wanted to do my own work...

I bring my wife's car to get the tires done to the same shop for the past 14 years... When asked how come they never see my truck in there?

I tell him "I do them myself because you guys wouldn't be able to do them"

"Why not? "

"You guys don't know how to do them and wouldnt want to touch them... They are split rims"

He says as a retort "arnt you afraid youll die with split rims" (The usual ignorant misperception response to having split rims)

Me "yes ... That's why I do my own rims"

I do most of my own stuff ... I don't want to rely on the carelessness of others...this goes for brakes and other things :)

There is nothing wrong with the split ring design of the Toyota rims... They are easy when you take care in doing them.

I used to work in many construction jobs as well and had several times punctured a tire due to nails or screws or cut brush that's sticking up tear into the side wall ... For me to fix it it takes less time then to drive into town ... Wait to get served... Have the lug nuts work on it and then go back home

Most places these days do not even plug tires ... It's a remove and replace world

Here's a good read:
http://www.beadelltours.com.au/rim_debate.pdf

It's funny, was thinking the other night....beside the 70 series (and maybe a few 200's) what other manufacturer still sell trucks with split rims? I can't think of any, maybe some Rovers or non US jeeps? But the fact the toyota still offers a split rim is just damn cool...

But the fact the toyota still offers a split rim is just damn cool...

That also speaks volumes about they reliability and safety of the rims... if they were that dangerous of a thing I gareentee they would drop them all together by now

I can only thing of Landys and Patrols that had/have them on a production vehicle in recent years ... i think Landys dropped them many years ago ... but.... the nissans still use them ... AFAIK

In some markets Land Cruiser are sold with split rims until today (Africa, Asia )
If they would be dangerous Toyota would not sell them on new J7
Tyre size:7.50R16-8 5.50F /16

TGSWEB2-2
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
It is not immediate as people say... I have had flats happen on the highway

And when you pull over it is like any other flat... It's a flat tire :meh:

I have never had an immediate catastrophic failure as you describe

I think I even posted a pic of my slow leak that turned out to be a nail... I filled it up before I left work ... Made it home ... Came out an hour later to change the tire and it still had some air :meh:

They've got a tube and a liner to hold air in.

Some splits come apart easily, however Toyota ones don't. I sold a set, and the buyer didn't want the tires... I hadn't realized they were rusty inside. Long story short, even though the were rusted 1/2 through, they wouldn't come apart without the use of a heavy sledgehammer. I'd not be concerned with them coming loose.

Car shops won't touch them... But rig shops do them every day.

...By design, this opening as seen on the split wheel probably is to let water and moisture out, but it also scares me because air could gush out fast, too. May be this is much ado about nothing on my part!..

The valve passes through a tight-fit hole in the flap/liner before exiting there..

Thus the tube is separated from that slot and something poking in there won't easily puncture the tube.

- from another long-term splitrim fan

:beer:

PS. Mine will never rust because they are all hot-dip galvanised:
Split02.jpg

Split11f.jpg

Remember that the flap is also covering that 'big hole' and the hole in the flap has the tube stem sticking out of it

There is pressure against that flap and tube keeping water out... Where water comes in is where the ring splits... And a lot of guys fill that with silicone to prevent water from getting in :meh:

Yeah, I can confirm from experience that getting a flat on a split rim is just like getting a flat on any other type of rim. We see mostly splits in in our shop here, (I work in a mission-run repair shop, I do all the motorcycle and small engine stuff, the other guys do all the car/truck/bus stuff), and I have seen split rims on all sorts of vehicles, but I'm not sure if they all came that way from the factory or if everybody is just running Toyota rims--seems like 9 out of 10 cars here all have the same 6 lug bolt pattern, or at least they did until Toyota came out with their funky new 5 lug rims. I'm pretty sure though, that Toyota (LC and Hilux), Nissan (Patrol and Navarra), and Mitsubishi (Pajero) were all available here new with split rims within recent history.

Speaking of rims.....what would be the best tube to use with them?

I heard someone mention there are better brands than others (thicker material so you don't the tube pinched inside the tire when you air down to low pressures for sand driving)

Can anyone recommend any good brands for this purpose?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom