The rear locker hack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yotatech.com
From reading here I see the FJs rear locker can only be engaged while in 4low with the 4WD model.

Thanks to a friend who dug up this article, as I knew it could be done, I just did not have it bookmarked since my '91 4Runner does not have a locker.

But I have an FJ on order, and may do this mod down the road.

Here is how to make the rear locker work in 4 high also.
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=10

Not sure if the FJ will be the same setup or not, but the above is for both Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners.

The same thing should work on the FJ. It is still pin 8, the wire color has changed to white/light blue.

I don't know why anyone would need a locker in 4 high or 2wd though.

Alex H said:
...I don't know why anyone would need a locker in 4 high or 2wd though.

For doing killer donuts!:D

I know this is an old thread but has anyone done this on an fjc yet? Were there any probs. thanx

Bigun...

In slippery condition it could be great to use the H4 w/ rear locker to back up with less torque on the wheels... Going forward in L4 is not a problem, just select the 2nd or 3rd speed on the tranny.

The locker is perfect

When you are in the sand the best thing is to have all of those tires driving so this is perfect. I can actually drive in 2 wheel just about anywhere with the locker engaged. It is even more impressive in 4 hi, I dont use 4 lo much in the sand I prefer tire speed to max traction.

Rumor - the newer serial number FJ don't need the hack - come from the factory in working condition.

lunyou said:
won't this void the warranty.....?

With as many FJC owners performing other modifications that could potentially void the warrenties (such as a lift), why would modifying the locker selector be any cause for concern?

I seriously doubt the next time any service is done that someone is going to check the locker to make sure it only functions in four low.

In 80's land this would be called the 7 pin mod and was invented by Cdan. I think after doing it you will find that it is an extremelly useful mod to a 4 wheel drive. It allows you the driver to have more control over the vehicle in situations where lo might not be necessary but the locker can come in handy. Great to read this can be done on the FJ. A neat little truck is just becoming neater.:cheers:

Rumor - the newer serial number FJ don't need the hack - come from the factory in working condition.
No, that is the e locker and a trac working together at the same time.

This is for just the e locker being able to use it at any time.
2WD, 4WD high range, instead of only in 4WD low the way Toyota has it now.

Also known as the gray wire mod with Tacomas.

ok so now that this thread is over 4 years old...has this been done?? has anyone actually done it?..I just bought a 2011 fj with diff lock and a-trac...i would love to be able to have the rear locked even in two wheel drive...i remember in my tundra (2x4) that i would have loved to be able to actually lock the rear when i was going thru the fields on my farm...so ...again has this actually been done on the FJC...if so please let me know how and what all it entails...

resurrection.jpg

Yeah, I've been wanting to do this too.

hell if no one comes forward and admits they did it..i may just have to break out the wirecutters and crimpers...

Have at it. Can't see the need for it on my truck; YMMV.

**** if no one comes forward and admits they did it..i may just have to break out the wirecutters and crimpers...

I've done it. Works perfectly.
I also did the VSC mod, can turn on and off while moving.

ok so where ...

So where did u do.d the info fotr the locker hack? And what about the VSC? PM me if you don't mind...I would like to hear more...

From reading here I see the FJs rear locker can only be engaged while in 4low with the 4WD model.

Thanks to a friend who dug up this article, as I knew it could be done, I just did not have it bookmarked since my '91 4Runner does not have a locker.

But I have an FJ on order, and may do this mod down the road.

Here is how to make the rear locker work in 4 high also.
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=10

Not sure if the FJ will be the same setup or not, but the above is for both Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners.

The link seems to be dead. Could you please post another?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom