Spring 2016 OBDR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few of us over in the 80 series forum have been discussing an OBDR trip this coming spring guided by @yohavos and/ or @tacosupreme.

state_map_bcdr_web-png.914014

Dates: MAY 13-15 (TENTATIVE)

Duration: TBD

Route: TBD

Attending:
@yohavos
@tacosupreme
@beachboyy
@retrofive
@FJP971
@dubyahard
@Pike
@sbman
@CDmpc
@HAAANK

***We're a few months out so if you're interested, subscribe now and once we get going on planning this wont fall through the cracks.

Last edited:
how many days should we carve out for a trip like this? Is it doable over a long weekend? @tacosupreme @yohavos

Thanks for making the thread! I was planning on doing this and glad there are some other people that have the same interests. Like we talked about, early-mid May is pretty early but might be fun to have that challenge also. I think a lot depends on how the rest of the winter goes snow wise. So far we have got a pretty darn good base here in the cascades but never know what will happen the rest of the winter.

For people that are just coming into this thread, we have discussed which routes to run. Sounds like we will be starting in Sisters and doing at least Route 4. Then possibly Route 5- Section 3 and possibly more? Depends on how much time people have and what is possible. I am pretty much open with time as long as its before May 20th.

My father is also interested in making this trip weather permitting. He has a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4. It does pretty darn well in the snow (especially when he chains up all 4 corners) but if stuff is still deep he wont be able to keep up with cruisers on 37s. I have also met a couple other people with rigs that are interested (not land cruisers).

I am really looking forward to this. Been wanting to do it for forever! I dont know about other people but I plan on bringing my family (Wife and 2 younger kids 3 years old and 6 years old). Just making sure nobody has issues with kids :)

Sub'd. Just can't do May 14/15. FYI: Overland Expo West is May 20-22 in Flagstaff. Not sure if anyone would be in conflict.

@Pike interested?

I am in. Nail the dates down and I will try and clear the travel calendar at the office!

Watching closely! I graduate the weekend of the 8th and should be flexible after that (I hope).

I joined some cool people from GitOutOffRoad and did most of Route 2 and most of Route 5 Section 1 and it was awesome. Camped at Summer Lake and enjoyed the hot springs. The next day we drove past Lakeview, past Adel, and into the Hart Mountain Antelope Preserve to some more hot springs.

Next day we drove to Steens for a little hiking and then through Fields to fuel up (only fuel for miles) then up to the Alvord Desert-more hot springs! Passed by Malheur Lake (where the drama is happening now-Burns) and stopped at Crystal Springs Hot Springs because we hadn't gotten enough :) Had some beers in Bend on the way to Sisters for our last night of camping.

https://goo.gl/photos/nGxWBEpugHtyNzpw5
https://goo.gl/photos/7Gduo82nfga5qM557
https://goo.gl/photos/skT4V46jAD8C2yer8

I have maps of a majority of the trek. Looking forward to exploring other sections of this route or even repeating what I did. Eastern Oregon is badass.

Last year I did most of route 5 (we diverted to the Steens instead of going to lakeview) the weekend of May first. We turned around near the Steens and didn't go all the way to the border. It was cold. One night it was 14F, and the loop road over the Steens was covered in ten feet of snow. This year is an El Nino year, so we may get lucky and have warmer temps but I wouldn't bet on it. I made it a pick your own adventure type of deal, we started in Pendleton and headed south picking up and shedding people along the way as their schedules fit. It didn't really work out that well, and for most of the journey it was me and a buddy in his Tacoma. As far as the "offroad" part...you can do most all of it in a honda civic. Last year I learned not to bite off more than you can chew. Map planning assuming we would cover much more ground than we did was a mistake, and one day we spent ten hours behind the wheel. It would be best to spread it out over 3-4 days on the trail so you have time to see the sights.

Subbed. No guarantee but hey!

I think we should try and start throwing some dates around so we can get the dates set in stone. That way people that need to make arrangements at work etc can do so. I have an appointment on the 23rd so anytime before then is great for me. I know a lot of people work during the week so I'm guessing starting on a Friday would be best to take advantage of the weekend. Then if we went longer than Sunday, some people could drop off and drive back home to work. So I will just start and suggest that we start on Friday, May 13th. Then if we decide to go longer than just route 4 we can continue on into the next week. Lets see how many people this works for and go from there.

Suggestion on Dates: Start in Sisters Oregon on 13th of May 2016

I think we should try and start throwing some dates around so we can get the dates set in stone. That way people that need to make arrangements at work etc can do so. I have an appointment on the 23rd so anytime before then is great for me. I know a lot of people work during the week so I'm guessing starting on a Friday would be best to take advantage of the weekend. Then if we went longer than Sunday, some people could drop off and drive back home to work. So I will just start and suggest that we start on Friday, May 13th. Then if we decide to go longer than just route 4 we can continue on into the next week. Lets see how many people this works for and go from there.

Suggestion on Dates: Start in Sisters Oregon on 13th of May 2016

Are you thinking A loop? Route 4 to Route 5 section 2 to Route 2 then north on Route 3? There are some stretches in there that will have our low fuel lights on.

Are you thinking A loop? Route 4 to Route 5 section 2 to Route 2 then north on Route 3? There are some stretches in there that will have our low fuel lights on.

I hadn't thought of doing the whole loop but I would be up for it if others were. I have the time. What is the furthest stretch without a fuel stop? I will be carrying 15+ gallons of extra fuel.

I hadn't thought of doing the whole loop but I would be up for it if others were. I have the time. What is the furthest stretch without a fuel stop? I will be carrying 15+ gallons of extra fuel.
I don't know exactly, summer lake to hwy 97 would be it I'd guess. I need to pony up and buy the maps one of these days. I haven't done any of the SW part, but I have spent a lot of time in Christmas valley on a dirtbike.

I may be up for a trip with you all. Never been out with a Toyota group usually they are too far away but this may be doable for me. I could bring my 40 my 100 or my Tundra. If we are doing some serious wheeling I will definitely want to bring my 40 because the others are just stock with a 1 inch lift. Although if the :princess: agrees I may also have sliders on the 100 by then.:)

I will subscribe and see where it goes from there. I may just join up with you all for a couple days when you get close.:hmm:

I may be up for a trip with you all. Never been out with a Toyota group usually they are too far away but this may be doable for me. I could bring my 40 my 100 or my Tundra. If we are doing some serious wheeling I will definitely want to bring my 40 because the others are just stock with a 1 inch lift. Although if the :princess: agrees I may also have sliders on the 100 by then.:)

I will subscribe and see where it goes from there. I may just join up with you all for a couple days when you get close.:hmm:

The 100 would be fine, it's not tough wheelin', you could do 90% of it in a camry if there is no snow. Where are you at? I live in Pendleton but spend a lot of time around John Day.

Im waaaaay out in Eastern Oregon.:( Ontario. The 40 or the 100(If I can steel it from my wife for a few days) would be more fun for me to bring then the Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom