Engine pull and rebuild, final thoughts… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I'm a dick in saying I tossed all my bolts in a box and can remember where they all go.

On a sidenote. I have a blast booth and have been cleaning all my parts before it gets assembled.
Well I would not say you are a certain male appendage or not, ok, maybe I would. :flipoff2: I just know that I have never had a great memory and have been losing some of it every year since I turned 40.

If I did more of this as a hobby or a job, perhaps I could do it, but even with what I do for a living, I have to take copious notes or it is gone. I have a buddy that can remember what he had for breakfast two years ago and with whom. The SOB...

No, significant oil consumption, about a quart every 750 miles or less. That plus oil leaks including the rear oil pan arch seal.

Pistons looked good as did the crank and cams. The engine was very clean internally. The head gasket did not let go but with the pitted block I think it was only a matter of time so I am glad to have it done.

I am glad I pulled the trans and transfer case. There was so much crud on it I was surprised.

Mine is not THAT bad but burning oil. If the block surface looked good would you have been happy to just do the cylinder head? That is what i am hoping for.

Mine is not THAT bad but burning oil. If the block surface looked good would you have been happy to just do the cylinder head? That is what i am hoping for.
No hesitation if the deck did not have to be milled, I would have done the heads and been happy and that is what I originally planned. That said you have to be ready for the curve when it is thrown at you and I did not want to swing and miss...

Oh by the way, go Cubbies! :D

Everything you said was spot on, at least as far as what I found in my build. I had the luxury of time, so I could work a few hours and walk away from the job when it got frustrating. That made it much more enjoyable. Also, I used a soda blaster while cleaning parts. Does a great job. For those who are wondering, pulling the whole motor and tranny is not a daunting task if you have a level spot and plenty of room and a good hoist. I was able to do it by myself. Congrats on the build.

Just bought two LC, one 113k and the other with 218k miles. The body and frame of the 218k very clean, but the interior and motor of the 113k is in way better condition.
I am about to pull an engine from one LC to the one I am keeping.
Would you please recommend that type of hoist you used to clear the front end. Did take the radiator and grill off?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I used a HF hoist after a friends failed on me. Worked fine and can't beat the price. Yes, you should take out the radiator and the evaporator core for the AC. PLUG THE AC LINES! You don't want to contaminate the system with moisture. You can pull the engine without doing this but I doubt you can pull the engine and trans. That said I would be very worried about trying to pull the engine with the rad in place as you can easily damage the radiator. Just make life easy, remove everything, it is not that big a deal and well worth it IMO. And, if you are doing this in a garage, you will need a lot of headroom to get it over the radiator.

Azca,
Thank you for your reply. What do you think is easier, taking the engine and transmission out together or just the engine?
How much does the engine and transmission weigh together?
I have penalty of room in my shop to do this work with the roof hoist that I used I pulled the cage and motor from my air boat, didn't think about. I will take the hood off also. And I think the most important thing is that I am not in a rush to do this work. I have other means of transportation.(work or play) selling my 4Runner since I am build this LC as my camping expedition, bug out vehicle. So I want to make sure it sound from top to bottom.
If there is any, I mean any other advice you can give me on tools, what to repair or replace on the engine or on the transmission while I have them out would be appreciated.

Thanks again!!!

Just bought two LC, one 113k and the other with 218k miles. The body and frame of the 218k very clean, but the interior and motor of the 113k is in way better condition.
I am about to pull an engine from one LC to the one I am keeping.
Would you please recommend that type of hoist you used to clear the front end. Did take the radiator and grill off?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

What year are these rigs? Are they both OBD2 or OBD1? Gotta be the same for an easy swap. John

Azca,
Thank you for your reply. What do you think is easier, taking the engine and transmission out together or just the engine?
How much does the engine and transmission weigh together?
I have penalty of room in my shop to do this work with the roof hoist that I used I pulled the cage and motor from my air boat, didn't think about. I will take the hood off also. And I think the most important thing is that I am not in a rush to do this work. I have other means of transportation.(work or play) selling my 4Runner since I am build this LC as my camping expedition, bug out vehicle. So I want to make sure it sound from top to bottom.
If there is any, I mean any other advice you can give me on tools, what to repair or replace on the engine or on the transmission while I have them out would be appreciated.

Thanks again!!!

I have heard that both have their merits. I would pull as a unit again without batting an eye. You can clean up the trans and replace external parts on it much easier as well. I fully believe bolting the trans to the engine on the outside of the vehicle to be MUCH easier however and you don't have to mess with the starter in the engine bay, it is easily installed/removed when bolting the trans and engine together. Besides, I am lazy and not old but I feel it and anything that makes my life easier I am all for, even if it takes longer. And, if it is easier, it is MORE likely to be done right.

I have heard that both have their merits. I would pull as a unit again without batting an eye. You can clean up the trans and replace external parts on it much easier as well. I fully believe bolting the trans to the engine on the outside of the vehicle to be MUCH easier however and you don't have to mess with the starter in the engine bay, it is easily installed/removed when bolting the trans and engine together. Besides, I am lazy and not old but I feel it and anything that makes my life easier I am all for, even if it takes longer. And, if it is easier, it is MORE likely to be done right.

Thank You!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom