DEPO Lights with a Slee Harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The H4 High is controlled by your 9006 low beam wire. The H1 (high beam in Depos) is controlled by your 9005 high beam wire. This wire, 9005, supplies the trigger to the relay too. The relay toggles the power from the H4 low filament to the H4 high filament.

Does that make sense?

I ordered the Innovative harness, but it does not look as if it is wired to turn the H4 high on. In this case would I need a relay to get the H1 to trigger the H4 high?

I simply don't understand relays.

The 3 wires for the H4 are ground, low beam filament 12v, high beam filament 12v.

The relay toggles the 12v from the low to high filament (for the H4 bulb).

I agree with your assessment of the Innovative harness. That's why I modified my Slee harness. You can do this! The light output is great. I use cheap Hella bulbs too.

Sent from my VS986

Last edited:
It may seem silly to you, it's just that I probably cannot picture it in my head, but why do I need a relay if I can bridge the positive from H1 to the H4 high?
I'm stuck in this area.

In my mind, if the high beams are on then the H1 with feed the H4 high positive. Am I jumping a few steps here?
When the low beam is in use the H4 high (filament) should not have any power. I believe the Innovative harness does not provide any power to the H4 high. So if nothing "feeds" it it won't turn on. But when the high beam is on, the H1 would be able to supply power to H4 high via a separate wire.

The only issue I see here is that I will over load the H1 wire from the car's harness, since it will feed two bulbs (per side). Probably melt too if the high beam is on for a sustained period of time.
Is this where the relay comes in? To keep the load even?

It may seem silly to you, it's just that I probably cannot picture it in my head, but why do I need a relay if I can bridge the positive from H1 to the H4 high?
I'm stuck in this area.

In my mind, if the high beams are on then the H1 with feed the H4 high positive. Am I jumping a few steps here?
When the low beam is in use the H4 high (filament) should not have any power. I believe the Innovative harness does not provide any power to the H4 high. So if nothing "feeds" it it won't turn on. But when the high beam is on, the H1 would be able to supply power to H4 high via a separate wire.

The only issue I see here is that I will over load the H1 wire from the car's harness, since it will feed two bulbs (per side). Probably melt too if the high beam is on for a sustained period of time.
Is this where the relay comes in? To keep the load even?

If my thinking is correct the relay between the H1 and H4 high beam doesn't bridge the power between the two per se. It activates the H4 high beam filament and the power for the H4 high beam is transferred from the H4 low beam circuit... I think. "The relay toggles the 12v from the low to high filament (for the H4 bulb)."

In what you describe where the H1 is feeding the H4 high beam I could see that overloading the H1's circuit. The relay allows both high beam bulbs to be power independently and activated by the same switch.

I think I finally got it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
So the H4 high has power constantly (from the low filament), but it is switched off. The relay turns it on when the H1 is powered.

If i bridge the H1 to H4 high I just overload the lead wire but I am unable to switch the H4 high on.
Still a little confused why it wouldn't turn it on, but did I get it?
I guess I'll have to order a couple of relays now too. Any suggestion as to which ones?

My confusion: why would the relay be able to activate the H4 high and not the bridged H1 wire?

I think I finally got it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
So the H4 high has power constantly (from the low filament), but it is switched off. The relay turns it on when the H1 is powered.

If i bridge the H1 to H4 high I just overload the lead wire but I am unable to switch the H4 high on.
Still a little confused why it wouldn't turn it on, but did I get it?
I guess I'll have to order a couple of relays now too. Any suggestion as to which ones?

My confusion: why would the relay be able to activate the H4 high and not the bridged H1 wire?

The H4 high only has power when the relay has been switched.

I'm not sure about the lead wire but I think you'd be stressing the up stream relay. I think it would turn on, but why push it and worry about replacing the relays more often at the least, risking a fire at the worst.

I used these relays:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HFYE1O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

All really good questions.

Yes, you do not want to jumper the H1 wire to the H4 high filament due to overloading the circuit. I am not sure of the max voltage the wires can handle but if you want to bump up your bulb wattage I would not recommend this. Instead, use the relay to handle the "jumping" for you. The existing low beam 9006 wiring will handle the H4 bulb while the existing high beam 9005 wiring will handle the H1 bulb. Don't forget, the 9005 12v + will ALSO trigger the relay to switch/jumper power to the high filament (H4 bulb).

To summarize, you need 2 SPDT (single pole double throw) relays, one per side. They are readily available on Ebay or Amazon. Your local auto parts stores should carry them too.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

With the Innovative harness I would have to cut the wires at the 9006/9005 side, in order to connect them to the relay, correct?

Sorry, I didn't realize that.

Toyota-Depo-harness.jpg

How are the innovative-brand harnesses grounding the H1 Bulb? Or are the bulbs grounding through the Depo housing? Thanks.

I believe it's done through the housing, as all H1 bulbs only have one connector and the ground is through the socket.

Perfect, thank you. That's how I understood it to be but wanted to double check. Trying to wrap my head around how to handle the grounding wire coming out of the factory 9005 socket (Slee or OEM) when hooking up H1s. Was going to ground it to the outside of the bulb-baseplate but may just cap it off and call it a day. I'll have to check how secure the ground is for the headlamps themselves.

The headlamp needs to be grounded in this case.

I don't have them in front of me, so I can't say for sure how.

Looking at the above picture I realize there are only 2 wires going to H4, not 3.
Would that still be OK?
The 3rd wire coming from the the relay would simply go inside the connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom