Builds 1985 4Runner - "Nala" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few years ago I picked up a 1985 4Runner. It ran, sort of, and was in not too bad of shape. I bought it for my oldest daughter who is now 17. When I got it home, it had 3 different kinds of wheels on it, 4 different kinds of tires, brakes that were marginal at best, and someone installed add-a-leafs to the middle of both of the front leaf spring packs. The ride was terrible. It was a good starter for a project.
WP_20150422_18_21_44_Pro.jpg

It has a Warn front push bar with a winch plate on the factory front bumper. It has very little rust on the straight body. It has fuel injection, air conditioning, and power steering. It is also an automatic transmission. It even still has the factory mud flaps.
Here is what it looks like now:
WP_20150422_19_04_22_Pro.jpg

The 4Runner is named after the lioness in the Lion King movie. This being a father - daughter build and she has always liked lions and the Lion King, the name is perfect. The color is also a contributing factor for the name as well.
The first thing we did was put on new wheels. The wheels she picked were the Dick Cepek "Torque" wheels in black. They are 16" by 7". Then the work began. We installed a complete rear axle from a 2000 Tacoma. Mainly because it was free and had an e-locker. I regeared the 3rd member to 4:88 gears. The axle is only a few inches wider and so are the brake drums. The installation was pretty easy. The leaf spring pads are in the correct spot. We only had to move the park brake brackets and add some shock mounts because we also did a u-bolt flip. We discovered instead of leaving the ABS sensors in the axle, a 7/8" freeze plug fits in the sensor hole and makes a cleaner appearance. On the front axle we did a full rebuild. Starting with 4:88 gears for the front differential in a v6 large bearing case, Marlin Crawler heavy duty axle seals, and a bearing pack. Also we replaced the perfectly fine Warn locking hubs for a set of the Toyota ASCO hubs just to keep it factory looking. We also replaced the solid rotors and small calipers with the vented rotors and larger 2nd generation 4Runner calipers. A 1" wheel spacer put the width the same are the rear.
WP_20141020_17_57_37_Pro.jpg

The engine in it does run but has one or more exhaust valves that do not seat all the way periodically. I received a free, non running 22re. It was a Jasper rebuild with less than 10,000 miles on it. The previous owner had it in his 1987 4Runner. Apparently a valve adjustment was never performed. The end of the valve stems were mushroomed and one broke its valve guide and ruined the valve seat. I have never seen that before and can only imagine the noise it made before it stopped running. So, after 8 new valves, a valve seat, a valve guide, and a grind, the head looks like new. The block is bored .050" over and the bearings are .020" over. Cross hatch looks great and has no warping. I installed all new gaskets, seals, and timing chain. Just for fun I installed a LC Engineering Torquer cam.
WP_20150204_16_35_08_Pro.jpg

We will be installing this very soon. The 4Runner came with a LC Engineering header already and we installed their cold air intake as well. The front bumper has a Warn push bar that is mounted to the factory bumper. It looks beefy but was empty so we installed a 8000lb Ramsey winch. Yes you have to redrill the holes in the Warn winch plate to fit a Ramsey winch. Inside we removed the aftermarket cassette player and installed a JVC cd player with auxiliary input.
We removed the leaf springs to get rid of the add-a-leaf that was installed in mid pack. I should have taken a picture of how the add-a-leaf was installed. It was terrible. I had plenty of other leaf springs around, so we added a few, took out a few. It rides pretty well for an old solid axle 4Runner and it sits a bit higher. When I measured it for the new Rancho 5000 shocks, I was surprised to discover the shock size that was required was the shocks for a 3 inch lifted 4Runner. They fit perfectly.
There are still lots to do, like install the sliders, the new engine, new seats, and build a new rear bumper. We will keep you all posted.
WP_20150321_16_40_22_Pro.jpg

Here it sits with its family: the ToySHOta, the FJ55, and the next daughters project truck.

That's awesome! I'm jealous of the re and A/C.

That is spice, love that you're doing with daughter. Awesome score on rear axle!!

Yea that rear axle find is epic!! So I was unaware that you could bolt up a 2000 taco axle with no mod required...

The air conditioning isn't working yet. All the parts are there. The compressor turns so I think I can put all new O-rings in and convert it to r134a.
The rear axle required just a little bit of modification but was actually pretty easy. I started to wire the rear locker today. May be taking it on its first 4wheeling trip this weekend. I will post up pictures of it's first off-road adventure.

Hell ya, post pics!!!

That's awesome to know! Gotta get my hands on an axle like that now!

I have loads of admiration for your Yota stable...

Time for an update. Lots has happened. I performed the engine swap and it runs good. For an automatic that is. I finally finished wiring the rear locker and put a blank light socket in the dash to good use. I matched the writing on the factory combination meter and wired in a light that illuminates when the e-locker is on. I installed the rock sliders and repaired the rust on the rear fenders. I painted the fenders and under the doors, as well as the top, with some black Monstaliner. Looks good. I am in the process of changing out the front seats with some seats that came with another 1985 Toyota truck that I bought. Just for fun, I installed some seat heaters in the new seats. I also added a high output alternator from LC Engineering. I will post pictures up soon.
We decided to take it on a small for wheeling trip. I removed the top for added excitement. After a small dash fire, I discovered that the cigarette lighter shorted when I plugged the GPS into it. A previous owner put a 30 amp fuse in the cig lighter slot in the fuse block instead of the 15 amp the circuit was designed for. Just enough the smoke a foot of harness but not enough to pop the fuse. Awesome smell, but it didn't ruin the trip. I have since repaired that too. I also discovered that the factory brake flex lines are not long enough for the flex of the truck since the lift. I ordered some stainless steel braided brake lines that are 3 inches longer.
There is still a list of things to do, but the list grows shorter. I still need to finish the seat swap, install and wire rear speakers, build a new rear bumper, and I really need to replace all the exhaust behind the header.
I will post pictures soon.

Unfortunately, not much at this time. I need to finish this build before she takes it off to the Air Force. Then I need to start daughter number two's truck. The other truck in the picture. The FJ55 is always evolving of course. So the Toyshota is waiting for a bit. I will finish it for sure, so don't worry about that.

Update: The flex plate broke into two pieces and I had to replace it. I could not tell the reason that happened. The transmission sits flush with all its dowel pins, everything was tight, and nothing was out of the ordinary. I don't recall seeing any cracking on it when I installed the engine either, but that was some time ago. It does have over 279,000 miles on it, so maybe it was just time. It also destroyed the starter gear also, so that was replaced as well. I did have time for some other repairs also. I replaced the brake master cylinder, installed the extended brake flex lines on the front and rear, fixed a small coolant leak, replaced the rear pinion seal, and replaced the tires. Still have some things to do on it, but it runs great. Gets lots of looks with an occasional offer to buy it. Over all a fun truck to drive.

Hello all, I need to ask for your help.
This 1985 Toyota 4runner was stolen last night in Colorado Springs. It is pretty easy to spot, so if you happen to see it would you please text me 719-339-0297.
It is tan with black montstaliner on the wheel arches, hard top, and rocker panels. Aftermarket wheels and a ramsey 9000lb winch on a Warn pushbar on the stock bumper.
Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom