Power steering leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me diagnose a power steering leak..? Have done a fair bit of research into it, but for the life of me can't pin point the leak... It seems to be at the front and back end of the power steering box, possibly leaking seals? Not sure whether to try fix this one myself or to admit defeat for once and take her to the shop. It is not loosing fluid from the reservoir too fast, but seems to leave a 5cm diameter leak over a 12 hour period. Oh she is a '97 HZJ80R btw!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mine has been leaking from input shaft which is, I read, is not fixed by normal seal/rebuild kit. Kinda looks like that may be your case too.

I saw a thread on here called snake oil I think. It was about the same problem. Their fix was Blue Devil transmission stop leak. I used it on mine and its been working so far. It's definitely worth a try. Good luck.

Get a Can of Brake Cleaner ($3) and clean up suspected spot the best you can.
If you have a compressor dry the area as well.
If leak re-appears...Walla!

Simple Green or a strong de-greaser might do the same, but honestly I have not tried.

*If you got some Blue Devil you could return it at your leisure (if not needed) and not have to go back to Store to get.....just thinking out loud.

Cheers Tally, I shall give that stuff a go! Wouldn't hurt to try :) and yeah since taking the photos, I gave her a once over with some heavy degreaser and hosed it all out. The leaking seems to be out of where the shaft goes into the steering box and I had a drop forming on the other end of the box; so not sure if that is from the one leak or possibly two.

Thanks for the reply! Have you done anything to fix yours as of yet?
No I only put 2 or 3k miles a year on mine so just keep fluid on hand and go through a pint ever year or two drips on the floor (cardboard) a big spot over time. No trouble wheeling though! Stop leak did help quite a bit.

Yeah mine is my DD and I like to keep on top of issue as it starts, just heard it can cost about $700 to have the shop sort it out :confused: which I would rather try fix it myself and spend said money on some mods... Not to mention at the same time I have got a rear seal leak on my trans case (only tiny)...

Looks like it might be coming out of the sector shaft. I used Lucas oil ps product with great results until I was able to rebuild the ps box.

It looks like both tubes at the bottom of my fluid reservoir have leaks. I guess maybe from internal pressure and not gravity? Should factory hose clamps be below on or below reservoir tube flanges? (ridges, rings, humps) They are just below the flange/fitting now and appear correct but... and it is leaking out at top of both tubes. Only a very small amount.. The system is not over filled and I did fill with some Lucas oil per club member suggestions. Are these leaks normal? Should I just place a couple Ideal hose clamps?

Yeah mine is my DD and I like to keep on top of issue as it starts, just heard it can cost about $700 to have the shop sort it out :confused: which I would rather try fix it myself and spend said money on some mods... Not to mention at the same time I have got a rear seal leak on my trans case (only tiny)...
@mitch7391, when I ported my box for hydro-assist I did a rebuild and replaced the necessary seals etc...there are videos on YouTube on how to port the box for hydro that are very informative on disassembly and reassembly of the Toyota steering gear box, not a hard task at all if you have a decent tool set and a couple hours of free time. I caution against drinking until after it is done though easy to screw up if you don't have your wits about you. Go on mate, order a seal kit and have at it. I sure as heck wouldn't pay someone $700 if I could do it myself, if take the saving and invest in other parts

Cheers for the advice mate :) I still havent tackled this one yet, as it has been easier to keep topping the resevoir back up. Although the leak must not be as bad as it looks, seen as in all this time I have only just made it to the end of a bottle of Lucas Oil haha but yeah I definitely do not feel like giving up $700 haha...

I had a leak in the input shaft seal, far worse than yours. Had to top off the PS fluid every time I took it for a drive. I used the Edleman kit to reseal my box. It included every seal you will need, including the input shaft. If your are mechanically inclined, the box is simple. There are good directions on the forum. No way I would drop $700 for a simple repair like this.

Bought it at Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom