CSF RADIATOR PART # (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking to buy a CSF RADIATOR but not sure what the correct part # is.
i have a 1990 fj 62 with production date 11/89.

thanks in advance

CSF e-CAT says 2709 :meh:

CSF Catalog

I also crossed it with the Toyota # 16400-61140 (8/87-1/90) and that came up 2709 .

Last edited:
Reading between the lines in the CSF catalog (the years may not be exactly right)... the 2708 is used for FJ60/62s, and the 2709 for the 3F-E 80s.

What is the mfg date on the 2709? Playing devils advocate that maybe current build date rads could be superseding old p/n.

But look at this interesting bit of info:

The 2708 is a 4 core radiator, while the 2709 specs say it is a 3 core radiator. I wonder if that is a typo?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Look at the drawing of the 2709 above from CFS's website.

It shows the fill neck in the wrong location too.

Something isn't right here.

EPC has only one part # for USA FJ62s.

I've seen this issue before, and what I *think* has happened is, CSF used to make a 2706 for FJ60s (what I have in mine). At some point, they switched over to just one model radiator for both FJ60s and 62s. So they 2708 is what's now listed for FJ60, but it has a A.T. cooler you need to plug.

HOWEVER, if the CSF flackery is correct, the 2708 is a more robust rad with 4-core vs 3 for the 2709. I do not know if there are differences in the FJ60 vs 62 core support for either one to bolt up the same without mods. But the cooling capacity may be the same since the core of the 2709 is more surface area, larger.

It looks like CSF is confused and has split the radiator by engine instead of by year and lumps FJ62's & FJ80's together, when they should lump the 60 & 62 together.

The 2708 is the one to get for both 60s & 62s. As S.S. says, it has an AT cooler, which allows you to use it for either. The cooler is sealed from the radiator, so you don't have to cap it unless you just want to keep mud & critters out.

I run a 2708 on my 60 and it is virtually indistinguishable by visual inspection from the stock radiator that it replaced (the stock one leaked since new). It looks and weighs the same.

image.jpeg

Also, just to add, since it's not listed and somebody may search for CSF, # 2888 is the H.D. 4-core version of #180 above, for 70-80, 40-series.

CSF 2708 = 1981-1/90 60-series, to be up to date.. :D

EPC has only one part # for USA FJ62s.

I've seen this issue before, and what I *think* has happened is, CSF used to make a 2706 for FJ60s (what I have in mine). At some point, they switched over to just one model radiator for both FJ60s and 62s. So they 2708 is what's now listed for FJ60, but it has a A.T. cooler you need to plug.

HOWEVER, if the CSF flackery is correct, the 2708 is a more robust rad with 4-core vs 3 for the 2709. I do not know if there are differences in the FJ60 vs 62 core support for either one to bolt up the same without mods. But the cooling capacity may be the same since the core of the 2709 is more surface area, larger.

That is exactly what happened! CSF ONLY makes 1 radiator for both the 60 and 62, the CSF 2708. If you use the 2708 in a 60 you have the added AT cooler, which is not used. If you use the 2708 in a 62, then go ahead and use the AT cooler as needed. BUT one important step when you receive your new CSF 2708, get the AT cooler pressure tested. One Mud member found out the hard way that the trans cooler was defective, and he ended up mixing trans oil with coolant, and his trans died.

Zack

It looks like CSF is confused and has split the radiator by engine instead of by year and lumps FJ62's & FJ80's together, when they should lump the 60 & 62 together.

The 2708 is the one to get for both 60s & 62s. As S.S. says, it has an AT cooler, which allows you to use it for either. The cooler is sealed from the radiator, so you don't have to cap it unless you just want to keep mud & critters out.

I run a 2708 on my 60 and it is virtually indistinguishable by visual inspection from the stock radiator that it replaced (the stock one leaked since new). It looks and weighs the same.

View attachment 1164490

Cam, I just bought 2708 and you’re saying it’s all good not to plug those to open bottom holes? I’m in a late model 60 (85) fluid won’t come spewing out of those? They are a totally separate reservoir? Could it be used as a power steering cooler?

Cam, I just bought 2708 and you’re saying it’s all good not to plug those to open bottom holes? I’m in a late model 60 (85) fluid won’t come spewing out of those? They are a totally separate reservoir? Could it be used as a power steering cooler?

You got it, it’s a separate tube/cooler inside the bottom tank. It will only leak if defective.

You could use it as a cooler, but it will most likely be a warmer more often than a cooler.

Gentleman... I’m trying to determine if my current radiator is a CSF2708? Are the CSF radiators stamped in a specific location showing manufacturer and model number? Anybody know the warranty?

I converted my 60's power steering cooling to the bottom of a new CSF radiator (normally used for the 62 transmission cooler). I posted info in a thread somewhere.

ATF works best, and the pump works best when the fluid is above 165° F (but not too hot). The bottom heat exchanger is the coolest part of the radiator. When I tested mine, the fluid never got over maybe 150° F and the pump worked great on cold mornings and cold days.

When I did run into power steering pump problems in the morning (groaning and reduction of assist) was when I ran a big outboard tranny cooler in front of the radiator. The fluid was always too cool and the pump didn't run right until the while engine bay heated up.

The downside of using the bottom heat exchanger in the radiator for the PS ATF, is they're both tied together. If the radiator developed a pinhole leak into the heat exchanger tank, coolant would end up in the ATF.
Also changing the ATF for a flush is more of a chore because it takes longer to purge all the bubbles. But they purge.

If I were to do it all over again, (in another life) I'd do it the same way. Use the radiator as a heat exchanger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom