120 Series General Tech and Classified (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dnp

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Since most of the other series are discussed here, I thought it was time to bring in one that I've found to be pretty impressive (at least, so far)

Right before this year's crawl, I decided to abandon my year-long search for an '03-'05 Blue / Grey 100 and totally switch directions by buying - with the intent to "build up" - an '04 GX470. Val had driven one for 10 years, and I always liked it....not to mention it was probably the best all-around vehicle we've ever owned.

The GX has the 2UZ and A750 5-speed transmission, so it's "powerful enough" to get out of it's own way (it's certainly no 3UR, but it's also a far cry better than a 1FZ); it's ultra smooth and quiet; with stock tires, it'll actually get fairly decent fuel mileage; and for a daily driver, the GXs are "advanced" enough to have been given most of the newer safety features. On the mod-side, it'll accept most every suspension component that will fit on an '07-'09 FJ Cruiser, so there are quite a few options available.

I'm just in the beginning stages on this one, but so far, I'm EXTREMELY impressed and satisfied with the performance results. So far, I've:
  • Removed the running boards (of course)
  • Installed a 3" ToyTec lift (consisting of front and rear Bilstein shocks, Superflex [Eibach] front and rear springs,
  • Installed SPC adjustable upper control arms, and
  • Changed the tires to 285/70-17 BFG A/T KO2s).
On the road, it's as well-mannered as it was before the modifications. Granted, you can hear the ATs, but they're really not any louder than OEM. Also, totally gone is the mushy, rear-bottoming characteristics of the OEM suspension with adjustable shocks and rear air bags. In fact, in both on and off road situations, this thing is coffin-like quiet and the suspension is very compliant. No rattles, no leather squeaking like a 100, etc.

In any event, I just thought it was time to throw a 120 platform into the CLC mix........

day of purchase.JPG

sans running boards.JPG

side view no tire.JPG

front half no tire.JPG

rear half no tire.JPG

Last edited:
Few more...

And, yes, I did take the tire off the roof. I never liked it up there and never intended to leave it; however, I didn't have anywhere else to carry it on our trip to NE Alabama
interior.JPG

tire on top.JPG

In the woods.JPG

Last edited:
Love it...do the GX's not have AHC?
Well, sorta. While the LX has a much more complex electrohydraulic system, both front and rear, the GX has a pneumatic self-leveling system only in the rear. You can adjust all 4 shocks, but the only suspension height control is in the rear.

In comparison to an LX, removing the AHC on a GX is cake. Remove the air lines and take out the air springs (they look like air bags on top of shock bodies).

I dont have to hit play to know the dialogue.

I got a friend looking for a car and trying to steer him to this for daughter

Looks great, David. Especially without the running boards.

Well, sorta. While the LX has a much more complex electrohydraulic system, both front and rear, the GX has a pneumatic self-leveling system only in the rear. You can adjust all 4 shocks, but the only suspension height control is in the rear.

Yeah, I got all that (or not):
Homer-simpson-brain,1280x800,18857.jpg

Momma wants a GX. When we get done with this house and get a few other things squared away I got a feeling we will be on the lookout.

Very sweet....Does it feel faster than the 100?
Ha! Funny you should ask: Val and I would run each other occasionally, and her GX was very slightly faster than my '03 LX (5 speed).....which means it should be a good bit faster than my 2000 LC

Dang right it would. The red plays.

For a while anyway. I kept my stock stuff for when the red gets old.

I like DNP's rig and the newer 4 runner's a lot more than the FJC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom