Vermont overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello:
My land rover (military d90) buddy proposed we go on the Vermont overland excursion this august. According to the website, you form two vehicle teams and travel back roads, trails, some rock crawling, river crossings, etc. I live in flat ass Florida and most of our wheeling is in the mud, swamp or rutted up roads.

Has anyone here done this Vermont trip/competition?

What would I be in for? Is it super technical in the rock stuff or should I not worry?

I have an soa 40, 60 and 62: would the lift be a hinderance or help?

What type of gear would I need to add to my truck?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ed

I believe these trails are going to non-lift friendly, grade 4 or so.

Peter Vollers is organizing this run, and knows Vermont like the back of his hand. I believe he stated a more aggressive tire, a mild lift, basic recovery gear would help to enhance the experience, but huge lifts, monster tires, etc. not mandatory. There will be small stream crossings, wooded trails, rustic roads. I used a 2010 4runner TE with LT Revo II's, no lift, and managed to get through some crappy trails...but the truck does have an electronic rear locker, and ATrac, which are nice features.

A buddy that went on a different trail run the year before really went through some crap. He did have a 3" lift (same truck as mine) with Duratracs. Some of the trails can be tight, and a winch, IMO, would be nice...but Peter says not needed. If it's pouring it will get muddy.

I would probably bring the truck that will give you the best ride up and back, unless you're planning on trailering the 4x4. You will have to sleep in the truck/set up camp at least one night.The farm that will be be the basecamp is beautiful rolling meadows, and they will provide porta pottys, water and wifi. You will be camping for 3-4 nights in the meadows, so some amenities to make you comfortable will be helpful. Everyone has they own level of comfort, me..I'm an amenity whore....where we hanging the flat screen...near the woodstove?

I do have pictures of the base camp if you need them..also a google map pin if it'll help.

Join over to the Expedition portal, and check out the section with Northeast activities.

Last edited:
I thought I'd get a few in with the fields....

CameraZOOM-20120922164254452.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120923103634638.jpg

N 43.23098
W 072.49876

vt1.jpg

vt2.jpg

vt4.jpg

Alright, sounds like fun. All of my cruisers are locked and lifted. Will the taller tires (37") be a hindrance at all?
The 40 and 60 have v8s with automatics while my 62 has the stock 6 with a h55 tranny. Any recommendations on what works best on this type of trip?
Do you bring your own shower facilities(solar bag) or does the base camp have one?
Fuel, do you need to be set up with spare fuel or are there areas to fill up?
Spare parts? Axles, birfs, what else?

Thanks
Ed

few more...

That sweet Taco belongs to TangoBlue...it's a marvel of Iron Pig Offroad

The sweet 4runnerTE is that crazy kid, Ben Jones...

The sweet Mog is Chris Cole's..of Campa Trailer fame...

vt8.jpg

vt6.jpg

vt7.jpg

Alright, sounds like fun. All of my cruisers are locked and lifted. Will the taller tires (37") be a hindrance at all?
The 40 and 60 have v8s with automatics while my 62 has the stock 6 with a h55 tranny. Any recommendations on what works best on this type of trip?
Do you bring your own shower facilities(solar bag) or does the base camp have one?
Fuel, do you need to be set up with spare fuel or are there areas to fill up?
Spare parts? Axles, birfs, what else?

Thanks
Ed

Ed,

It would be better to ask these questions over at ExPo...join and and then go this thread...Peter will actually answer any and all of your technical questions. I know there is gas pretty close by in Springfield, but it sounds like the route purposely winds through villages that will feature fuel.

Here's the link, but you have to be a member to see it. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/94774-VERMONT-OVERLAND-TROPHY-August-7-12-2013

Best of luck!

Pat

My son and I thinking about the Vermont overland trip. Do we have to carry all our camping equipment on our motorbikes or could my spouse support night platform outdoor camping?

You can bring what ever you want to the farm as a "basecamp"....but the one night of the challenge, you will be required to carry what you need to camp out, cook, and sleep. There will be a driver's meeting at 7 am for the days travels, and everyone will be expected to be packed up and start on the course at 8 am

Now, granted, it will be August, so cold weather stuff won't be needed, but it can get cool there....and some people need a whole lot less when it comes to a gear perspective than others.

I'll shoot Peter a PM and see if he minds coming here and address the questions of those that want to participate.

Yes...heard from Mr. Vollers this morning...

I was off a little bit, but here is what Peter replied..

" The FJ guy can bring whichever truck. The V8 may be better for the long drive. Yes, you need at least one working winch for each team, but it's preferable that each truck has one. Don't forget there are three nights of wilderness camping (Thurs, Fri and Sat). No showers at basecamp."

I suggest you register on Expedition Portal, then go into Forums>Regional ExPo Chapters>Northeast and you will see the official Vermont Overland Challenge thread......good luck to you guys that want to participate...if I had a winch, I'd be all over it...and I still may just attend as a camper, possibly a base camp for a fellow entrant with the ROAM.

Let me know if your interested.

I have been emailing Peter and Rodney. Nice guys. My d90 buddy and I are in but we have a lot to figure out, borrow, buy, pillage, etc between now and August. I also have to figure out the drive from fl to Vermont. Might try to break it up and drive to hatteras one weekend, surf and leave the trucks with someone in Norfolk. Would need to find a safe place to leave them. Any suggestions on anything are always appreciated.
Ed

I have been emailing Peter and Rodney. Nice guys. My d90 buddy and I are in but we have a lot to figure out, borrow, buy, pillage, etc between now and August. I also have to figure out the drive from fl to Vermont. Might try to break it up and drive to hatteras one weekend, surf and leave the trucks with someone in Norfolk. Would need to find a safe place to leave them. Any suggestions on anything are always appreciated.
Ed

I know Magic Beans is in Va Beach. I'm at the north end of the CBBT on the eastern shore, bout 45mins north of Norfolk. How long would you need to park it?

I am guessing about a week or two. We are still in the preliminary planning stages so nothing is firm yet. I appreciate the help.
Ed

I am guessing about a week or two. We are still in the preliminary planning stages so nothing is firm yet. I appreciate the help.
Ed

If it helps, hit me with a PM as the plot begins to thicken. I'll have to run it by the misses (el jefe), but I already have my two 62s, my brothers 80 after he finishes moving to D.C. in a couple weeks...in the yard.
Depends on how you wanna travel. There's a $12 toll to cross from Norfolk, but you bypass all the traffic along 95 from Norfolk to Philly. I love the drive up to Philly. To add a little variety going north, there's the ferry across the Delaware Bay to NJ.
Anyway, if you're interested as things move along as long as I check with the boss there's probably 5 country acres at the bottom of the Delmarva to safely park you're truck. Now the Rover is another story ;). A british car stupidity fee may be applicable.?

Hey, thanks for the info and the help. My rover buddy has a rover friend in dc that he said we might be able to keep them there but I don't want to taint my cruiser in a rover yard. I will get a hold of you as we get closet.
Thanks,
Ed

No problem, let me know. At the least, he may return to a 3FE installed in place of the rover motor :). I'm still a little bitter about my rover experience.

Very interested in the thread too. Some guys from my club were interested in it too and it looks like a great run.

Well we are official entered into the Vermont overland trophy gathering. We are putting my 60 or 62 on the auto train in Sanford Fl and taking it to lorton va. We will the drive up from there. My rover buddy is gathering up his rover forum buddies to convoy up from that area up to Woodstock vt. Are there any other cruiser guys heading to this function? I sure would like to have some cruiser guys going and/or convoying with us.
Anybody thinking about going?
Thanks,
Ed

We will see you there. I guess I will be the land cruiser guy caravanning with a bunch of rover guys. Ed

Haha, kinda like being the designated driver! Make sure you get the number for AAA, all the rover dealers bw DC and VT, and maybe scrapyards too :). If there are 10 rover drivers, chances are only 1-2 will make it to VT.

Autotrain will be nice, you gonna ride with the truck or just load it and pick it up in DC? Did it to FL and back with my parents when I was younger. Not a bad trip...and I hate trains.

We are riding with our vehicles on the auto train. I think it is about 500 miles from the auto train stop to the base camp in Woodstock, vt. Along the way we start meeting up with more rover guys.
We are excited to go on the trip. The train ride will be interesting. I need to find some more cruiser guys to head up!
Ed

Well we gave our auto train tickets and we are formulating our itinerary. Going to try to head south of the auto train terminal to hatteras for a little surf trip with my son. I haven't been there in over 20 years.
Starting to put together lists for all of the items and need to get done. Exciting.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom