Hi-Lift jack holder. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I’ve requested a local company make me a hi-lift holder to fit onto my Outback Extreme 2 wheel carrier. I’ve found this design and shamelessly nicked the photo of the internet.

The locking hole, I’ll rotate and I plan on 4 tri-angular angles to improve its strength.

Has anyone else made their own and have pointers regarding design / materials as my biggest concern is a weld break and I loose the Hi-lift into traffic. I guess however its designed I’ll include a chain and lock.

DSC00561e.jpg

Your feed back is welcome ..

Cheers Matt

HJZ75

We run a Kaymar version and haven't had any problems with the welds. Ours bounces back there quite a bit too. It slides into a 2" receiver type configuration and is quite strong. Good luck with your project.

Hard for well made welds to break- worry more about losing nuts/ bolts. Use nylocks and lock washers to mount. Have had a Hilift on my ARB front bumper without any troubles. Spray all the operating parts with WD-40 now and then and replace the non-nylocks on the jack itself too.

Is it tight up against your tyre ?

thanks Matt

Its tight up against the tire or else it will bounce more. The sidewall of the tire keeps it stable. However, i do check it every so often because it will rub on the sidewall and cause wear.

my Kaymar HL holder as in pic above does not move at all. No bouncing. There is a tightening bolt of some sort on there I believe.

If you change wheel/tire combo, will it still work due to different spacing?

Looks good to me. Weld look fine too. I used the same Kaymar style as pictured above on my old 40, except mine wasn't a 'receiver' type. It did however have adjustable depth so that it could be adjusted to fit a wider or narrow tire/wheel combo. Worked out well IMO. The one thing to consider is how much of the jack hangs below the bottom of the tire. I remember a 60 series at one of the first Cruise Moab events that had the Kaymar carrier on his truck and the base of the hi-lift caught on a ledge as the truck came down and the jack was bent at a 90* right at the bracket.

kaymar style on my old 40.
6EDD5266.jpg

mine is a 60" set up vertically so I have to choose, either it's up all the way, I have good ground clearance but I can't get in the garage or v.v...

good point Box Rocket, hadn't even considered a horizontal orientation for rear mount, even though that's how it's currently stored interior. :hmm:

Thanks guys, indeed adjustment for wider tyres is an issue.... now I just need confirmation the guy will make it....

I'll keep you posted...

cheers
Matt

Box Rocket.. that's too funny i too never thought about the orientation of it being upside down or rightside up. Im going to try upside down and see how the swing out handles things. Couldn't hurt the departure angle thats for sure.

Box Rocket.. that's too funny i too never thought about the orientation of it being upside down or rightside up. Im going to try upside down and see how the swing out handles things. Couldn't hurt the departure angle thats for sure.

See how it works for you. In the picture I posted you can't see the top (base) of the jack in the photo, but I actually removed the baseplate and carried it in one of my gear boxes. It made too much noise (with the top off the truck).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom