1HDT H55F Advice please.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I bit the bullet and bought a 1HDT and in the next few weeks it will be replacing the 3F thats currently in my 60.. I'm not doing it personally but I need to make sure that I get the correct parts necessary. Luckily my vehicle came with a H55F as standard. I got the correct bellhousing as part of the deal with the motor so that's sorted.. My questions are all surrounding the input shaft and clutch.. From reading these awesome threads I've got heaps of info.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/81067-1hd-t-h55-split-case-into-60-a.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...55-into-fj40-some-questions-some-answers.html

I just want to put it all together here in simple terms and hopefully someone can tell me if I've got it right or wrong as one or two areas are still a little grey for me.

The input shaft gets exchanged for the longer 21 spline shaft. An Isuzu 300mm clutch plate gets used with a 1HDT flywheel and pressure plate. I'm not sure on the release bearing and fork though.. are these also 1HDT parts? Any other peripherals needed here?

Alternatively the 1HZ complete clutch can also be used, this is a 275mm unit though, surely with clutches the bigger area the better?:hmm:

Are there any other odds and ends that I will definitely be needing? I've got a couple of weeks to get everything together so any input or pearls of wisdom are much appreciated.. it will all help to get this thing done as smoothly as possible.. :cheers:

HZ H55 Throw out bearing/fork system can be used.

Did you get a flywheel or do you have to purchase? flywheels new are $$$, find what you can from a wrecking yard.

When you get into the h55 to replace the shaft you can easily replace the rear output shaft bearing, the two counter shaft bearings, the input shaft main bearing and the needle bearings. Additionally, the two synchro rings (use Toyota made) - one on the 5th gear and the other behind the input shaft can be replaced with zero labor.

best of luck

Thanks Rick, you wouldn't have any part numbers for the bearing and fork system by any chance..?

The motor did come with a flywheel.. It's at the guys shop who's doing the transplant for me though and he's 1000kms from me:eek: There's no-one near to where I stay who I'd really trust to do the job unfortunately.. Luckily another cruiserhead buddie of mine lives closeby and will be keeping an eye on the job for me.. I'll only find out today or tomorrow what size flywheel is on there and that will be quite telling with regards to which clutch system I choose.. if its 275mm then I'm going to go with the 1hz clutch. Hopefully it should hold ok behind there.. I'd DIG to put the 300mm clutch in there though..

I just rebuilt my box about three months back so I'm hoping to replace as few parts as possible when I get the shaft changed..

Will keep you posted..:cheers:

Things are looking good... managed to find the Isuzu clutch thanks to Tapage's Marilu thread.. he had the right part number on there ;)

Found a used 1HDT 300mm Pressure plate.. Luckily as Toyota had no new stock in the country.. Unbelievably all the other parts Toyota has! These are among other things the fork assembly, release bearing assembly , release cylinder etc..

So it looks like things are going to start moving pretty soon..:cool:

great Marilu thread helps Trock what I don't get is .. your H55F from your 3F it's 21 splines ?

My 60 series H55F it's 10 coarse splines ..

It is currently 10 splines Tapage but I'm swapping in the 21 spline longer input shaft when the job gets done.. Toyota say they've got the part in stck which was great news..!

There is a way of keeping the original input shaft Tapage, it involves removing the spigot bearing from the crankshaft, inserting a bush that has been machined to take up the difference in length and fittinig a new spigot bearing in the end of the bush.. You would then retain the 275mm 60 series clutch workings.. This is an option for me but I am a little uncertain if this is a great system in the longterm and I am also very keen to fit the 300mm clutch. It would be WAY cheaper to go the bush route but I'm also looking for peace of mind and the 1HZ input shaft, 1HDT pressure plate and Isuzu clutch has been used a few times here on Mud and I have not read any bad report-backs..

I'm actually using 300mm isuzu disc behind my 1HD-T and in front of my H150 .. but honestly I'm not fan of tranny input swap ..

Yes the Toyota 300mm clutch has 14 splines I think... So you must have used the 275mm 1HZ clutch in your truck wongtenhin? Using the 1HZ clutch was an option for me as apparently it will work well but Toyota South Africa didn't have any stock :doh:... So I figured that it would be better to use the Isuzu clutch than an aftermarket 1HZ clutch.. some guys have had a few hassles with the aftermarket units over here. I think it would be unlikely that the Izuzu clutch would be problematic.. there are still heaps of those Isuzu NPR trucks running around over here..

BTW your pick-up is a killer truck:cheers:

Yes the Toyota 300mm clutch has 14 splines I think... So you must have used the 275mm 1HZ clutch in your truck wongtenhin? Using the 1HZ clutch was an option for me as apparently it will work well but Toyota South Africa didn't have any stock :doh:... So I figured that it would be better to use the Isuzu clutch than an aftermarket 1HZ clutch.. some guys have had a few hassles with the aftermarket units over here. I think it would be unlikely that the Izuzu clutch would be problematic.. there are still heaps of those Isuzu NPR trucks running around over here..

BTW your pick-up is a killer truck:cheers:

Thanks for that! No stock clutch for 275mm.:confused::confused: Heaps of 75 and 79 are going to condemn in SA when their are clutch down.:hillbilly:

I know - I couldn't believe it when the parts guy told me that!

Anyway I got the Isuzu clutch yesterday so there's no turning back now...

Why is that Tapage? Surely the less modified add-ons the better?

read somewhere ( maybe here ) that swaping tranny input it's like combining ring with pinion from another set ..

The longer fine splined shaft was used in a H55 though, for the 75 series 1HZ trucks, so I can't really see how it's going to be a problem.. Basically it will end up being the exact same tranny that wongtsenhin is running in his truck,,

Anyhow I'm in balls deep now.. We got the 300mm 1HDT pressure plate today and tomorrow pay for all the rest of the Toyota parts which should only take a few days.. Then it's a question of getting my truck up to the guy who's helping me do the job and getting going..! :bounce:

Will keep you guys posted on the progress....:cheers:

Ok so the job has started in earnest and we've just hit our first problem... It seems that the new input shaft is thicker in diameter than the old shaft and there doesn't seem to be enough material on the front bearing retainer flange to machine for a larger seal safely.. Has anyone else run into this same problem? It kinda wierd as the flanges and seals both have the same part numbers on Toyodiy for both shafts? Is there another flange that would also fit here? Another option would be to remove the shaft again, machine it down to the same thickness as the old one and use the old oil seal which isn't ideal.. check out these pics.. any advice would be hugely appreciated so we can carry on on Monday, things have ground to a halt over this issue...

Pic of the new shaft in the box.. the oil seal fits over the thick part of the shaft just in front of the bearing..
attachment.php

The front bearing retainer flange, there doesn't seem to be enough material to machine to take a larger oil seal..

attachment.php

Been doing loads more reading and I'm concerned that I have an older model H55 tranny even though my truck is an 87... would this have a bearing? It seems like the shaft fitted ok..?

Looks like I botched the pics a bit in my one post.. will try again..

I've been advised that the open bearing that you can see is from the older series H55, I can't understand though how come the guys at the gearbox shop managed to put the new shaft in then.. surely if it is an older box it would have been impossible?

I'm super confused..:frown:
S6300697.jpg
DSC04571.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom