T3 Turbo on BJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After driving around in my freshly turbo'd wagon for the past few weeks, I'm finally getting around to posting some pics. Turbo is off of a Volvo 740. I scored the turbo, inter cooler, waste gate, blow-off valve, all the intake plumbing and Volvo manifold. I have not installed an inter cooler yet, can't get too carried away! I made my manifold using CNC oxy-propane cut flanges, and schedule 40 weld elbows, and a 3/16" turbo pedestal thingy. I was careful not to warp the manifold as I welded it, and I'm happy to say warping did not occur (significantly). If anyone wants a manifold, or just flanges, send me a PM.
IMGP2735resize.JPG
IMGP2738resize.JPG
IMGP2743resize.JPG

I rebuilt the Turbo with a kit from G-pop Turbo Shop. There is still a bit of play in shaft, so I guess a new bearing housing is in my future. I needed to "clock" the turbo, in-order for everything to point where it should. This made it necessary to modify the wastegate bracket to that it still points at the wastegate lever.
IMGP2732resize.JPG
IMGP2740resize.JPG
IMGP2746resize.JPG

I rebuilt the Turbo with a kit from G-pop Turbo Shop. There is still a bit of play in shaft, so I guess a new bearing housing is in my future. I needed to "clock" the turbo, in-order for everything to point where it should. This made it necessary to modify the wastegate bracket to that it still points at the wastegate lever.

Good to see another successful conversion.

As for the play in the turbo, that's normal. The gap is taken up by pressurised oil when the turbo is working. If you had too much clearance then you'd know about it by now.

Thanks for the comments guys! Good to know about the shaft play Dougal. After test fiiting the manifold I decided I would have to bypass the rear heater for now. I would like to hook it up again, but I'll wait until I get a heat exchanger for an on-board shower and plumb in everything at the same time. The Old manifold came off really easy, the bolts were even good enough to reuse. I cut up an extra intake tube for a 3B and with a silicone piece from the Volvo, I was able to cobble together the intake plumbing. I would like to make up an aluminium or stainless piece to go between the throttle body and the turbo, but I'm gonna wait until I intercool before I spend any money on intake plumbing. I had the Oil lines made up at a local hydraulics shop, and figured I'd do the vaccuum pump ones while I was in there as they were looking pretty old. The drain is 3/4" and uses a bulkhead fitting at the oil pan.
IMGP2745resize.JPG
IMGP2804resize.JPG
IMGP2806resize.JPG

I had installed AutoMeter's Pyro and Boost gages a while ago, but now the boost gage actually moves! I Tee'd the pressure line for the boost gage on the ported vaccuum side of the injection pump diaphragm line (does that make sense? see pic). The EGT's are down significantly after adding the turbo. I could easily get to 1200F when pulling big hills, but with the turbo I have yet to see the pyro get over 1000F, Not to mention I'm pulling hills in 4th and 5th gear now instead of 3rd and 4th. I have turned the fuel screw out only 1/2 turn and will probably try turning it out another 1/2 turn, but I want to see what the fuel economy is like at this setting. The Volvo wastegate was set at just over 6psi, and I have adjusted it to 10psi, which seems like a good amount. I get the full 10psi just before 2000rpm and it pulls pretty well up to 3000rpm (i don't usually take it above 3000rpm). The boost does spike up to about 13psi when I shift, so I will likely install a BOV.
IMGP2801resize.JPG
IMGP2802resize.JPG
IMGP2809resize.JPG

I built my exhaust with 2 1/2" aluminized exhaust tubing (10' length) and 2 J-bends. I routed the exhaust between the frame and t-case, it is a really tight fit, but does not touch anything. I made a bracket that bolts to the back of the t-case in order to hold the exhaust secure so that it moves with the motor. I had to modify the stock bell housing exhaust bracket in order to use it as well. There is no flex pipe in the system, so I wanted to make sure there was no movement/torque on the turbo itself. There are three rubber hangers (two of which are the factory ones) supporting the rear section of the exhaust. I did not use a muffler, and I'm quite happy with the noise levels, and you can really hear that turbo spool up!:D

DSLCRUZR
IMGP2798resize.JPG
IMGP2799resize.JPG
IMGP2800resize.JPG

I'm not sure in your 3B .. but in my 2H in my TB you have one hose with vacuum and the other with " pressure " .. mine the back ( to the firewall ) was the vacuum hose ..

Are they michelin XCL's? How do you like them?

Michelin XL's 11.00R16. I like em, they have their pro's and con's, they're really noisy... and scary on ice/hard packed snow, heavy, slidey in off camber situations, and have a speed rating of 60mph. But they're super tough and big. and they seem to be lasting pretty well. I may try to get them re-treaded when they wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom