my HDJ81 Saga.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had the truck for about 2 months now. Been running beautiful all this time. About a week ago, I've been noticing some ticking noise coming from the RH side of the engine. Seems to be around the turbo and/or crankcase general area. I thought it maybe the BEB but the importer in BC assured me they replaced them when they got the truck (knowing about this problem in advance, I asked them to be replace the BEB when I placed my order with them)

It is a strange type of noise, it doesn't rhyme with the engine and seems to happen at random (although it happens more frequent when you rev up) . It is difficult to describe it in writing but it has a similar sound to an electric spark.

I took it in today at a diesel mechanic, the guys there seem knowledgeable and thorough. They recommended doing an oil sample analysis before suggesting any major repair or further troubleshooting. I am crossing my fingers hoping it is not a major problem. Let's see how it goes.. :frown:

Last edited:
I have this ticking as well, exactly as you've described. My beb's have been changed out as well. I have had the truck for about 5 months now and have been trying my best to research and diagnose it.
I don't notice it when I first start up the truck, as well as when it is has fully warmed up. It seems to do it mostly when the engine is partially warm...which I thought was weird. I can also hear it when revved, as you've stated.
I recall a thread not too long ago concerning a similar noise some 1hdt owners have noticed. I believe it was related to the ACSD in some way. I'll try to find the thread later, kind of in a hurry now.
Not sure if it's the same noise, but hopefully someone will chime in with some more info.

I am sure that what you are describing is the same as what I am experiencing...hopefully we can get it resolved!

Later

Are you sure it is coming from inside the engine? Did you check to make sure nothing was loose? Did you check for an exhaust leak (exhaust marks at exhaust connections or near the exhaust manifold? Does it happen even if the engine is idling? Does it happen when the revs are increased? Does the sound go away at times? If so, under what conditions does the sound get louder, quieter or go away?

Before going to the mechanic, I suggest you try to locate the source of the ticking noise (you may need someone to operate the throttle while you do this). If you have determined it is coming from within the engine, is it lower (in the crank) area or higher (in the valves)? A mechanic's stethescope from Pincess Auto can help. You need to do some more investigating and then get back to the board with the results.

Various types of ticking noises from the 1HZ/1HD T range of engines is well documented in australia and its often othing to do with the BEB.

My 1HZ has a slight ticking between 1800-1900 when under a light load. BEB were perfect and new ones made no difference.
Its only there when the engine is warm.

If you do a search on exploroz or 4wdAction forums you will see a few threads on ticking noises.

No answers though:confused:

I recall a thread not too long ago concerning a similar noise some 1hdt owners have noticed. I believe it was related to the ACSD in some way. I'll try to find the thread later, kind of in a hurry now.
Not sure if it's the same noise, but hopefully someone will chime in with some more info.

Later

The ASCD noise is the elbow shaped lever rattling around in the pump and after a long while it will break of and cause a catastrophe

Could it be a manifold leak causing the valve ticking louder the normal?. I know that when you have a manifold or exhaust leak ticking valve is alot more louder. Ticking from valve usually happen when hot, and a leak in the manifold (wrap, of flange leak) make the noise louder, thus you notice it easily.

I recently had some louder then usual ticking, i've ajusted the valve and it went away.

My truck seems to have the same noise that you guys are describing. On my truck it comes and goes from day to day week-to-week it is never constant. When I first heard it my wife was driving up the drive way and I was out side. I looked and looked and couldn't pin point where it was coming from so I reved up the engine a couple of times and it went away so I turned off the truck. The next day the noise was gone so I didn't worry about it. Ever since then it will come and go but it never lasts for more then a day. I don't think it is a serious problem but it would be nice to figure out what it is.

I already bought a stethoscope a few days ago and it seems to be coming from inside the engine, specially when the probe is placed on the crankcase or thereabouts.

I am new to HDJs but my understanding is the ACSD noise would come from around the injection pump (i.e. the LH side of the engine) and if it is a valve noise it would come from around the valve cover where the valve train is located. The noise I am hearing is coming from neither..
It is interesting though to know that other HDJ owners have similar noises. I would be curious to know the source..and , yes, it doesn't happen when the truck has just started, it usually comes later after it has been warmed up.

I just did an oil change ~ 500 kms ago and luckily I kept the old oil, so I am sending two samples tomorrow (old and new) to see what they'll find.

This has costed me $150 so far between the mechanic diagnostics and the oil samples, I hope it doesn't mushroom into a large expenditure.. :crybaby:

If it was something to do with a valve would it not be consistent with every revolution? The noise I am speaking of is a "tick" that sounds like a valve, but may skip 2 or 3 revolutions before it "ticks" again...

Sorry for the poor description, I'm still a noob.

If it was something to do with a valve would it not be consistent with every revolution? The noise I am speaking of is a "tick" that sounds like a valve, but may skip 2 or 3 revolutions before it "ticks" again...

Sorry for the poor description, I'm still a noob.

Yes you are correct

Something simular happened to me once, it was a plugged fuel filter and it made the fuel pump tick quite loudly.

You been running bio diesel?

We don't have any biodiesel in Calgary (wish if they sell it though!) .. just been running straight diesel with some Stanadyne. It doesn't seem to come from the IP or injectors though, it is coming from the opposite side (RH looking from inside the cockpit)

More on the 1HD-T ticking noise...

After a referral from roscoFJ73 (Thanks rosco! :cheers: ) I went to the Aussie 4WD forum and found this:

1HD-T tick tick tick (again) - Australian 4WD Action Online Forums - the 4WD, 4x4 and offroad truck community. Get the latest tips, news, reviews, images and video clips. Chat with other 4WDers and share your offroad adventures.

Made me feel a bit better, but still I will see what the oil analysis will say just to make sure no bigger problem is lurking in there.. Fingers crossed..:meh:

Ahmed

After a referral from roscoFJ73 (Thanks rosco! :cheers: ) I went to the Aussie 4WD forum and found this:

1HD-T tick tick tick (again) - Australian 4WD Action Online Forums - the 4WD, 4x4 and offroad truck community. Get the latest tips, news, reviews, images and video clips. Chat with other 4WDers and share your offroad adventures.

Made me feel a bit better, but still I will see what the oil analysis will say just to make sure no bigger problem is lurking in there.. Fingers crossed..:meh:

Ahmed

We have had this range of engines in oz for 18 years and,its hard to remember one failing as long as the BEB are good.

Last edited:
Also noted on my hdj81 here in zambia...

the only time i noticed a strange ticking with my 1hz was right before the engine died. not because of big end bearings but because i copped a tank full of s*** and the lines got clogged. This happened twice to me, and i got the ticking noise on both occasions.

i would suggest cleaning out the fuel lines, the little filter in the tank and the tank if necessary. Also check the bracket thingo the fuel filter screw onto. they can become clogged. then run only quality fuels (shell, bp) from a servo that see's regular fills - not the little servo with diesel that's a few cents cheaper that's been sitting there for weeks. (yes i'm looking at you tight-arses ;) )

for reference, if it's a leaking exhaust tick, then the tick will vary according to load, not engine speed, but will always be there (not intermittent) if it is a mechanincal thing like big ends, mains etc, then your motor will likely stop working sooner rather than later.

the only time i noticed a strange ticking with my 1hz was right before the engine died. not because of big end bearings but because i copped a tank full of s*** and the lines got clogged. This happened twice to me, and i got the ticking noise on both occasions.

i would suggest cleaning out the fuel lines, the little filter in the tank and the tank if necessary. Also check the bracket thingo the fuel filter screw onto. they can become clogged. then run only quality fuels (shell, bp) from a servo that see's regular fills - not the little servo with diesel that's a few cents cheaper that's been sitting there for weeks. (yes i'm looking at you tight-arses ;) )

for reference, if it's a leaking exhaust tick, then the tick will vary according to load, not engine speed, but will always be there (not intermittent) if it is a mechanincal thing like big ends, mains etc, then your motor will likely stop working sooner rather than later.

I think most of us are looking at ticking noises that have been around for 1000s of klms,30000 in my case.

Wouldnt cheap diesel move quicker? :D

Just got a phone call from my mechanic with the oil analysis results.. Everything is normal.. Phew!! :)

If you read up in the thread, I did the analysis for two samples, one from the oil I have just changed (~ 3000 Km) and the other from the new oil in the engine (after ~ 400 km). Here are the results (old oil in the first column):

Old New
Al 2 2
Cr 0 0
Cu 1 0
Fe 5 3
Sn 0 0
Pb 1 0
Si 19 9
Mo 2 1
Ni 0 0
Ag 0 0
K 1 1
Na 1 17
B 3 1
Ba 1 0
Ca 2810 2290
Mg 49 11
Mn 0 0
P 1285 1190
Zn 1282 1203

So, I think I will just have to live with the ticking or probe it further at home.. I will keep an eye on it after the next oil change with Rotella 10W30. It currently has PetroCanada Duron-E 15W40.

Ahmed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom