3B starter rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So with many thanks to TwoThirtyDirty, who is picking up and shipping me some parts from Lordco, I will be able to rebuild my starter off my 3B.

I pulled the starter and started disassembly.
I lucky have a spare that I am going to stick back on and see how if it works for now. This spare came with the rig and I have no idea how it works. Mind you I am pulling and reinstalling the starter while my 14 month old takes naps.....he only takes 1/2hour naps....little bugger...

So here are some photos for those out there that have never had a starter apart. I will post more when I get the new parts and have it going back together.

First the offending starter:
Starter.JPG
Inside1.JPG
Bushings.JPG

couple more photos...
Plunger.JPG
Bushing close up.JPG

just a follow up....just got my spare starter in and

OMFG I didn't know my truck could start like that!

I'm glad that was indeed my starting issue

SCOTCH FOR ALL!!!!:cheers:

took mine apart and it seems the brushes in the motor are worn out.(the two positive ones anyways)...

anyone have a wilson part # or other Canadian part #for lordco/napa ?????

going to switch the one pos. brush for the one neg. brush(not as worn) and maybe get two of the four brushes to work will let you all know if this is a temp. fix or not. cheers. pic of brushes after switch was done
100_1072.jpg

bj603bstarter.jpg

Last edited:
Any auto-electric shop should be able to do brushes. There's no rocket science there. If their brushes are too large a few minutes with a file will fix that.

They should have the wires attached even at the auto electric place. There's not too many different ways to make brushes, just different sizes.

Got my parts from TwoThirtyDirty last week again many thanks go out to him!!

Havn't started putting the starter back together yet(family in town), but I thought I would throw the new regulator in.....however I can't find it...I have posted some photos of it....any thoughts where I should look? Again my truck is a FJ-BJ conversion.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Regulator box.JPG
reg close up 1.JPG
reg close up 2.JPG

The regulator is in the altenator on top of the brush holder. Personally I'd stick it in the spare parts and install it when necessary.

The regulator is in the alternator on top of the brush holder. Personally I'd stick it in the spare parts and install it when necessary.

beautiful!!

Why is the external voltage regulator found on a 74 so much bigger than what is pictured above? Because it's 24v?

maybe i was wrong and the armature is worn right out??? it's still hit or miss with the starter...

buying one soon...worked for five or so times then nothin' but click click cllick :(

new*** i took it out and got it working again need a better soldering iron for the brushes...***

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom