Personal Survival Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Well I think the reason I am doing all of this is because I am trying to document everything that I have in my truck now and then update as needed. I went through the contents of my EMT kit and because of the discussion decided to alter *some* of the contents: https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/266394-first-aid-kit-emt-kit.html

This time around I hope to do the same with my personal survival bag.

This bag was actually put together after reading this book:
Amazon.com: 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive: Cody Lundin, Russ Miller: Books

The book explained a lot that I just didn't think about and I think it works for an all around set up. I have one bag for each of the three of us and each is set up identically except for very minor changes between them. What I will also need are some suggestions about what to do for Fido. I think I will make that a separate thread though.

Just a quick note, important, small stuff, has been wrapped with yellow tape, this is to make it easier to spot when you shine a light on it in the dark.

The Contents:
• CamelBak BackPack
• LED Flashlight (I wrapped several ft. of duct tape around it)
• (2) Spare CR123 Batteries for flashlight
• Carabiner
•*Bear Spray (only taken depending on destination)
• Film canister filled with cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly (great fire starter)
• Standard lighter
• Magnesium flint with a shortened hack saw blade attached
• Strike anywhere & waterproof matches inside of a waterproof container
• One qt. Nalgene water bottle (also wrapped with several yards of duct tape and a loop make from ripcord)
• Compass
• Signal Mirror and whistle
• Platypus one gallon collapsible container
• Sawyer extraction kit
• Large spool of dental floss
• Orange marking tape
• Compact can opener
• Space blankets (one silver and one bronze)
• Container of 2% Iodine
• Cocktail of Vivarin & Sudafed
• Epi-Pen
• Pepto Bismol tabs
• Cough drops
• Neosporin
• Lanolin cream
• Sharpie
• Glow sticks
• Powdered sport drink
• Edible plants card set
• 100ft of paracord
• Snack food (need more of/plus suggestions)
• Small carrying pouch
• Lg & sm ziplock bag
• Large trash bag
• MSR Micro towel

JUST ADDED (5/4/09)
• Baby wipes (double duty as TP)
• Sahara hat
• Carmex Lip balm
• 32db earplugs

Personal First Aid Kit:
This is of course separate from the EMT kit that stays in the truck. The individual first aid kits are in each bag.

• Various bandages
• Various gauze
• Various Band-aids
• Ointment
• Ace Bandage
• Hand sanitizer
• Surgical gloves
• Cough Syrup
• Advil
• Super Glue
• Zyrtec
• Alavert
• Nasacort
• Surgical tape
• tweezers

Now even with everything in the bag and loaded full with water, the pack is still pretty light and there is still plenty of room to add essentials.

EDIT: to be added now because of this thread's discussion:
• Sun block
• Multi-tool
• Synthetic socks
• Gloves
• Printed (instructions) bandana
survival-bag1.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent Contribution!!!!!!!! I'm going to start assembling some stuff tomorrow. :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks!! pat

Pet survival kit:
Bowl for water....
Maybe a muzzle depending on reason for survival need...

There are several organizations that use a list called the 10-essentials including the Boy Scouts and a group in Washington called www.mountaineers.org

The thing that I really liked about the Mountaineering group is that they call it the 10-essential systems. Each system is meant to help you stay alive.

1. Navigation (Compass, map, gps, etc.)
2. Sun Protection (lotion, sunglasses, hat, etc.)

Since my son is in Boy Scouts, I had to use their list of the 10-essentials, but I enhaced it a little with the info from the mountaineering group.

Anyways, sorry for the long diatrate, but I would add a good utility knife to your list and organize your items into systems.

I'm attaching some PDFs of the 10-essentials, but your list is pretty comprehensive expecially with the first aid stuff.

Attachments

• TenEssentials_Mountaineering.pdf
    199.2 KB · Views: 662
  • TenEssentials_Troop979v3.pdf
    148.9 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Lotion and a hat per kit is a great idea. I always carry my knife but definitely a good idea to add one to the packs regardless.

Hmm plus synthetic socks, gloves

That kit looks to be more of a "day pack" than a emergency survival kit. My "survival kit", that we were required to cary durring the wilderness survival package at MWTC (Bridgeport California), fits in a militar style personal first aid kit. "Emergency Survival Kits" in general use the less is more idea. Nothing wrong with the larger day pack but might want to put together the true survival necesities into a smaller packet inside that pack. Just my two cents.

Joey,
Is the Iodine for water purification or first aid use? I read the book Survive by Les Stroud (Survivorman) and he had some good lists for survival packs broken down into home, auto and personal. Don't have the book on me now, but I remember 2 items on his list. Bandanas, can be used as head gear, slings, holders for gathering food, etc. and a prefilter for water. You mention a garbage bag, which Les highly recomends, but if you can find them in orange they can be used as a signal. I still have not been able to find them in orange at any of the local stores.
I am sure there are some other things he suggests, I'll post up more when I get back home and look at the lists.

iodine is double duty for both water and first aid. I normally have Iodine swabs in my EMT kit but I don't carry them in my survival pack being as I have the bottle of it. Iodine works fantastic for killing bacteria and viruses but the taste (few drops per gallon) leaves little to be desired so that is also why I bring along the sports drink packs.

And yes I totally agree about getting orange bags but I have also never been able to find them other than for CalTrans workers on the side of the highway.

Last edited:
"about getting orange bags but I have also never been able to find them "

Wait for Halloween and they will be available... the ones that people fill up with leaves... .

Maybe not as heavy as you would like them but with a nice face.:D:D:D

I love this stuff...lately I have been working on perfecting my overall fire starting skill. Fiction bow fire is now a 1-2 minute ordeal with the right kit. I recently read that people that never had to start a fire in the wild frequently leave without a lighter but people with survival fire starting skills never leave without a lighter.

I need to question your soaked cotton balls. For me I have never been able to get a soaked cotton ball to ignite. Cotton balls will ignite very easy without any jelly, usually one strike is all that is needed. It is the light fluffy dry fibers that ignite and the petroleum or Vaseline is used to create more heat and prolong the burning to get your tinder lit.

In your survival kit you have 3 fire starting sources. With size and weight always an issue is seem to be overkill. Please don't take this wrong being over prepared is much better then under-prepared. Just asking:)

There was a time all I want was to be able to test my survival abilities but after reading about people that have done it and have tried it I will be satisfied with learning more about it.

I recently read that people that never had to start a fire in the wild frequently leave without a lighter but people with survival fire starting skills never leave without a lighter.

Ding ding ding, I have some type of fire starting device strewn throughout my trucks, home and gear.

I need to question your soaked cotton balls. For me I have never been able to get a soaked cotton ball to ignite. Cotton balls will ignite very easy without any jelly, usually one strike is all that is needed. It is the light fluffy dry fibers that ignite and the petroleum or Vaseline is used to create more heat and prolong the burning to get your tinder lit.

The trick is NOT to completely soak the cotton balls. Just the outside of them. So that when you are ready to use one, you just pull it out, tear it out to reveal the dry inside fibers. Works great actually. Of course NO WHERE NEAR as great as using Cheetohs!!!!

In your survival kit you have 3 fire starting sources. With size and weight always an issue is seem to be overkill. Please don't take this wrong being over prepared is much better then under-prepared. Just asking:)

Each does double duty. The magnesium has a hack saw blade on it. The lighter has fuel.

What I've found works best for making the fire starter is:
Use a genersous dab of petroleum jelly (maybe half a golf ball size...) and rub it in your hands (gloves work nicely for this bit) then take your small handfull of cotton balls and just pass them back and forth between your hands for a bit.

Hope that helps!

Someone say bandana?

The Boy Scouts sell this bandana that has first aid instructions.
FirstAidBandana.jpg

And a fairly complete kit at that, although those wire saws don't work at all :( And I'd add a plastic bag for gathering water.... And maybe a thin poncho for rain protection, but pretty good :)

Boy Scout 11th essential - Toilet Paper!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom