Need oil lines for volvo turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Turbo Swap!

So I was drinking all day and then for some reason figured I should start my turbo swap... manifolds off now but I don't have the oil lines for the turbo :bang:

This of course was after cleaning out the inside of the truck and soundproofing it with some marine soundproofing paint ... truck looks great on the inside! hopefully it works well !

Anyone have any or know anyone that has them?

Volvo turbo oil lines appear to have 2 bolts and then the line goes in the middle...

Last edited:
I dimly recall having an enourmous volvo oil line headache many moons ago.

pressure side was tapped for a proprietary volvo bolt, not available from anywhere...( and if you found the toyota dealer disinterested in old trucks, try volvo)

7/16 fine thread was close...but only close.

drain side wasn't so bad, I may have had the fitting or just made something. I ended up retapping the pressure side for npt because I couldn't find anything.

Think I have the pressure side piece you're talking about tho. Course, I may need it for my turbo, and well, with no manifold it's not like you can come get it :flipoff2:

went to lordco and found the 2 adapters I need ...

Has anyone ever used the oil feed for the vacuum pump to feed a turbo? is it enough oil.. too much/too little? ?

I don't have the vacuum pump anymore and was thinking I could use that for my oil feed... then just weld the bung onto the oilpan...

As for welding the bung on the oil pan where is the best spot? I know I want to have as straight a drop in the oil return as possible any thing else I should try to do/ not do?

Well avoiding crank wind is one thing, and making sure you can still change the oil filter. ..
Try to put it between spinny whirring bits and yer golden.
Vac pump feed should be fine... I used it in tandem with pump and no issues.
Typing this on a phone impedes my grandiloquence...

roberto's 42 buildup thread in the diesel section has some good pics...

it's not where I put mine ( I went in front of the filter) but seems to have worked.

seeing as you aren't using the vacc pump, you might be able to get away with using the vacc pump oil drain fitting, axt kits used to be that way.

Didn't work for me when I had a vacc pump, backed up too much and made the turbo blow oil but with just the turbo alone you might be ok.

Be nice to avoid dropping the pan. I'll probably drop mine next oil change. bleh. ranks up there with knuckles as worst jobs on a cruiser...

ya I was originaly planning to use the vacuum return but was under the impression I shouldn't... although I don't have a vacuum so its not currently being used...

If I use the vacuum return how do I tell if its got enough flow or not?

Well basically the oil won't drop out of the turbo as fast as it goes in...

So it'll get past the seals and you'll get oil in the intake. Like you will with an old sacked turbo.
That's what mine did. Got a little messy. Wasn't the end of the world.
You're prob ok with only the one thing draining to that fitting.

If things get messy you can always drop the pan next oil change.

Oil pan is best for sure,but some people seem to be fine with Vac drain, others not. Maybe dependant on state of the engines oil pressure?

annoying blue and messy as far as I know. that's all it was for me, drove it for several years afterwards.

if you're worried about it and have the time, drop the pan...

...and if you found the toyota dealer disinterested in old trucks, try volvo

In my experience Metro Lexus Toyota just seems to be disinterested in their customers period. I own two... I'd not but another if it meant dealing with them!:mad:

Overall, I've found their parts department to be more interested in my 40 than their sales or service departments in their customers or quality of work.

I found the same thing when i first started going to metro lexus toyota.....they knew NOTHING about toyota land cruisers and had no inclination to learn....then i met a very nice and knowledgeable lady named Darcy who works in their parts dept. i have found that she is usually in the back but she is very good for finding odd ball stuff and looking things up when the others just punch it into the computer and say oh we cant get it. she has found things for me several times. so now if i need anything at all thats cruiser related i just ask for darcy directly and dont waste my time with anybody else....tell her Guy sent you, might help, might not...its been a while but a very nice lady

I'm sure she's helped me out too. There are a few people I've dealt with a number of times over the last twenty years.

She used to own a bj40 and a 42 and a 70 and she works the back counter in victoria if you ask for her soon as she is finished with the tech she will come up front and serve you.

Turbo's on !

took it for a quick drive around the block and after a bit of stupidity it was running great and what a difference in power!!:D

few pictures are attached... too dark to take a picture of the final setup... I ended up plumbing in the water and oil lines.

I put the oil lines to where the vacuum pump used to be for both feed and drain and I'll see how that works out. The drain is a good straight shot and is significantly bigger than the feed line.

Water lines are plumbed into the feeds for the heater (bypassing the valve) I wanted to hook these up to help prevent coking on shutdown... or least that was my understanding... took 20 min to hook them up and they must be there for a reason...

Plan is to run a simple cone filter for now until I get around to adding a donaldson and a snorkel sometime next year I hope!

Hooked up a pyro preturbo and boost gauge (right now I'm running 5 lbs until my $20 ebay boost controller shows up).

Great work on the manifold cam! it fits perfectly and works great! Made for an easy install with most of my time spent running around getting fittings and hoses and such for the oil/water lines... if I was organized enough to get it all in one trip it would have been much easier!
IMG00005-20110813-1658.jpg
IMG00003-20110811-1259.jpg
IMG00004-20110811-1259.jpg

If anyone is looking for parts I used here's a rough parts list: I'm sure I'm forgetting things... and for several things there's better ways to do it.. but this seems to have worked! I'll post up changes after I've driven it some...

Turbo Parts List:

Russell Part # 640481 10mm straight banjo adapter fitting ?? used for turbo feed engine side

Russell Part # 697080 14mm Banjo bolt adapter fitting (used for turbo drain engine side)

Vibrant part 2898 turbo oil drain fitting.

vibrant part # 2899 turbo oil feed fitting.

1/2 inch NPT barb fitting for 1/2 inch hose (turbo drain) (straight)

1/8 NPT - 1/4 inch line barb fitting (straight) oil feed line fitting

1/4 inch barb'd tee (boost gauge)

autometer pyro and boost gauges

5/8's barb fittings x2 for water feeds turbo side
5/8's T connectors x2 for water lines

2" marine fuel hose 12 inches or so (connect the turbo to the intake) (I also cut and welded a bit of exhaust tube onto the original air intake to take the 2" hose)

Ebay turbo flange adapter for garret to T3 connector...

ebay boost controller (still on its way)

Oil line 1/4 inch for feed
oil line 1/2 inch for drain
coolant line 5/8's for water hookup

Flared piece of pipe for turbo exhaust exit and flange to bolt it on... (got from lordco/budget)

lookin good man. I did the cone filter thing too on mine. they aren't so bad if you put the foam prefilter over it and keep them soaked. ( I found a generic foamy somewhere, wasn't too $$)

You could probably stand to clock it a bit more so the oil inlet is straight up..but you probably aren't done messing with it.

I found that oil feed line got hot and soft on my truck and would slip around until I got it well and truly clamped. was a bit worriesome for the first little while as I had to keep tightening the clamps on it.

give em a couple turns after a test drive, they'll tighten up quite a bit.

but that's minor s***, at least it works...:hillbilly:

However I'm shocked and appalled you would pollute decent whiskey with something as vile as coke.

I found that oil feed line got hot and soft on my truck and would slip around until I got it well and truly clamped. was a bit worriesome for the first little while as I had to keep tightening the clamps on it.
Sounds good... I'll tighten them up! ... a few times!

However I'm shocked and appalled you would pollute decent whiskey with something as vile as coke.

So is my liver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom