Vibration noise when shifting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spaldam

S.J.'s Adventures
Threads
Website
sjsadv.com
My 3.4 auto transmission seems to shift fine, but when it does there's a funny sounding vibration noise. At first I though it was the horn shorting out and making a faint whimpering noise, but it's consistent with shifting gears.

Any ideas on what this noise could be? I don't remember hearing it before the engine was replaced.

Thanks.

Is there any play in your drive shaft?

There's lots of grease on the u-joints already. It actually looks like they were recently over greased.

After paying closer attention to it, I think the shifting is actually coincidental, but rather it's happening just above 2000 RPM, right around were it likes to shift but not necessarily.

I wonder if it could be the exhaust hitting some kind of resonant frequency or something. The exhaust does look a bit pieced together right now with the engine, headers, & Y-pipe being out of a 4-runner, and the cat missing with a welded in straight pipe in it's place.

Can you recreate it in neutral or does it have to be moving?

With it in Park, no, but then I'm not pushing on the gas as much, so not as much air flowing threw the pipes. I tired to do it in drive while holding the brake down, but getting to that RPM without moving in drive is easier said then done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom