Rear A/C in an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been discussed to death in the past, but I have a new question.

It has been discussed before that retrofitting factory rear A/C into an 80 is impractically expensive. However, I seem to recall someone mentioning that a particular model of Toyota van (not sure if it was the old Toyota Van or the newer Toyota Previa) had a standalone rear A/C unit that could possibly be fitted into an 80. I would like to explore this option.

Does anyone here know what Toyota vans I should start looking at? I checked out some of the older Toyota Vans (late 80s) and they do not look like standalone systems. Maybe particular model years of the old Toyota Vans have a standalone system? Or was it the Previa? Or something else? Anyone have any info/suggestions?

Last edited:
80's van

Try the 84 - 87 vans, if you can find one.

I have looked into the factory deal in Japan, but John (97 FZJ?) has checked into it.

Hopefully he'll chime in with his input.

Mot

Fitting the rear AC to the rear of the 80 is pretty troublesome, not to mention expen$ive. On of the main problems is with the duct works for the AC. The C-piller air duct is an exclusive 80LC part. I've also looked into retrofitting the rear Previa AC into the 80 - no dice.

I'm putting in the JDM aux AC fan in front of the radiator/condensor this weekend. People who have put in aux fan reported seeing greatly improved AC performance, especially in low-speed and when the engine is idling. I'll take lots of pictures and post here when I'm done with the mod.

97FZJ80- the condensor fan mod is a good one- I've done it, and it definitely improves idle AC performance. IMHO the JDM fan is not worth the $$$- there are many 12", and some 14" aftermarket fans that fit just fine, some of which I'm sure have higher output than the JDM. What size is the JDM fan? You mentioned trying to fit the Previa rear A/C into the 80- so is this the standalone unit people have talked about? What were the problems putting the system into the 80?

DTAYLOR- are you sure the 84-87 vans have a standalone rear A/C unit? I've looked at a few of those vans (not sure if they were 84-87, but were the older Toyota Vans) and the A/C units do not appear to be standalone. Do you have any details about them?

Last edited:
bump.

bump x 2.

alaskacruiser said:
bump x 2.

I think the only way this can happen is if you find a wrecked non-USA 80 with rear AC. But I think you are in for a huge expense and lots of tedious work. Retro-fitting from another Toyota is going to be nearly impossible without the LC rear vent system.

I don't know if you understand how AC systems work, but the rear LC AC would have had its own condensor, evaporator and fan. So you would need to get those big pieces first. My guess is the dual AC truck would have had a larger AC compressor as well. And then there are all the hard lines back to the rear condensor and evaporator. If you are hell bent on doing this, I'd recommend getting in touch with an Oz wrecking yard or some of the Oz LC guys on the 80SCOOL email list.

Last edited:
el mariachi- I was looking more into other options, like the Toyota van system, as you're right about the factory rear A/C system being prohibitively expensive.

alaskacruiser said:
el mariachi- I was looking more into other options, like the Toyota van system, as you're right about the factory rear A/C system being prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone know where the 2nd evaporator core is located on the non-USA dual AC 80?

I'm gonna try to make them appear bigger. Hold on!

Hopefully better

OK, here are some decent pics of some of the rear AC and associated components:
1bb.jpg
2bb.jpg
3bb.jpg

Anyway, hopefully you get the gest of what's involved with the rear AC system, etc...

Also, if you think I can get into trouble with Mr. T, please let me know!

If you want to get a crack at installing one of these babies, let me know. I should be able to get you the necessary parts IF you can tell me the part numbers:doh:

HTH's

Mot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom