Transmission Lifetime? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

johnny4ever

Test appropriately
Threads
Website
www.popartdavis.com
Is there a known record for a FZJ80 stock transmission before needing rebuild or repair? Is there a record for a stock engine?

later

There is at least one example, owned by a family member of one of our board members, that approaches 300,000 miles on the original drivetrain. Transmission issues are very rare and engine issues primarily center around the head gasket. Very few 1FZ engines have had catastrophic failures unless they have been pushed to that point by neglect or stupidity.

Delayed reverse engaugement.

I used to be a lot more worried about tranny failure until the Dan told me a new one complete was only about $3K. I'm thinking $3k every 200,000 miles is probably alright.

It is interesting, that my tranny at 100,000 miles shifts like new, and that it can likely go much further before replacement. By then, gas will be so expensive, I won't be able to drive it anyway.

Curious Landtank-are you going to rebuild, or buy a new tranny?

Please tell me more about delayed reverse engaugement. This past winter, I found that I had to have the rig running for 10 sec's or so before it did a normal reverse after a cold start. I had the tranny "power flushed" and it seemed to help the matter. Currently, all shifts are great. No problems at 103,000 miles, a 97 40th.

pharmerdan said:
Please tell me more about delayed reverse engaugement.

Many '97 trannies don't have enough balls according to C-Dan. I think it's just his way of goading me about the differences in transmissions between the years the 80 was produced. His tranny has lousy solenoids, so there.

However, there is a published TSB that gives some credence to his claim and many of us have experienced intermittent issues when shifting into reverse. The problem described in the TSB has happened to me on 3 occassions; each about a year apart (15k miles). What will happen is that I abruptly stop when going forward and quickly shift into reverse and quickly apply throttle, the tranny will make a loud grinding noise (quite alarming) and not go anywhere. On each occurance, I have put it back into neutral, waited for the truck to complete stop (2 or 3 seconds) and then shift back into reverse and all is well. YMMMV.

I think mine is a Jan 1997 build so it's probably around mid-production for the 97s. The TSB gives the VIN numbers that got all their balls.

-B-

The statement that they do not have "enough balls" is substantiated by the FACT that the TSB details how to add more balls to the valve body to make the transmission function properly.....;)

cruiserdan said:
The statement that they do not have "enough balls" is substantiated by the FACT that the TSB details how to add more balls to the valve body to make the transmission function properly.....;)

Yes, but you could just as easily say the '97 valve body needs some slight tweaking. Yet you choose to snicker and tell me my tranny doesn't have enough balls. You're just being mean and you know it.

:flipoff2:

-B-

cruiserdan said:

ROFLMAO :D

Good one, very very good one!

But this delayed reverse response crap! Sheesh just take a second to sip some sweet coffee! The way I'm working this, you dont drive around much in reverse, and you can make up the time taken during this freakin "delayed reverse response" if'n ya just drive a little faster in forward! :D :flipoff2: :D

I'll remind you that having too many balls is not an advantage when they slam yer thighs as you run! Ask me how I know! :grinpimp:

turbocruiser said:
I'll remind you that having too many balls is not an advantage when they slam yer thighs as you run! Ask me how I know!

You have more than 2?

-B-

It's my bro in law's 1993 80 that's just turned 300,000 miles. He got it in '93 when I got my 93 and it has been cared for in a fairly typical fashion. Now it's under my care. The thing's never been touched other than batteries, fluids, belts, etc. All heater hoses are original except the PHH which I changed at 220k or so. Shifts as smooth as mine, starts and runs as new. Completely uncanny.

DougM

Beowulf said:
You have more than 2?

-B-

Uh oh, this may be getting ugly.

And for -B-

...jumps over the lazy dog.

TOY350 said:
Uh oh, this may be getting ugly.

You are correct. If his response is yes, then you gotta know I'm going to find that image that says "This Thread is Useless without Pics!"

-B-

Beowulf said:
You have more than 2?

-B-

No, I was referring to those extra valve body balls bouncing all around in my pockets of course! :flipoff2: :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

First, I have delayed engagement and slipping in reverse when under load such as backing a tent trailer up a hill. It started at around 60k and has progressively gotten worse. It's not a total failure yet, but I'm not waiting to get stuck on vacation to finally do something about it either.

TSB breakdown:

Starting with serial number 96JE-06161, the B3 brake return spring assembly and low coast modulator valve compression spring was updated.

Starting with 97AE-07106 the matterial of 3 O-rings where changed to help them seal better.

Then serial numbers 97H*-00001 thru 97K*-99999 need to have the check ball added to the valve body.

Starting with the 97H*-00001 tranny there must have been a design change that happened on the production floor but wasn't or couldn't be applied to the exhisting trannies in the field. Only those trannies need the ball to be added to get rid of a chatter shifting OUT of reverse.

I only looked up the LCs but if someone were to scan the Tacoma, Tindra and 100 series LCs more changes might have been made to this tranny as the core unit is used on all of them.

landtank,

Please excuse my ignorance, but where would one find the trans serial number? Do you have approximate production dates for the changes/upgrades?

Thanks,

Nak

The tag is located on the PS near the rear I believe. Production dates don't apply other than giving a rough idea as the first 2 digits of the serial are the year of manufacture. There is probably more in that coded serial number but I don't know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom