Need your expertise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok the car is a 97 LX450 with 203,000 miles. For about the last couple of weeks I have noticed the oil pressure gauge was reading lower then it did before. When I asked around about the low oil pressure gauge I got the response that it was normal so I disregarded it and kept driving. Went on a great trip about an hour away and wheeled it pretty good. Popped a tire and decided to call it a day put on my spare and drive home. About 15 min in to my drive home I was entering a highway I turned on my AC and went to pass a semi. Noticed a power loss and could not get over 50 mph, looked down at my gauges and my oil pressure needle went all the way down, no oil pressure. At that time my engine died and the check engine light came on. Pulled to the side of the road and started it up again. It ran fine with no check engine light but with no oil pressure and a slight knock you could barely hear in the cab. I decided to tow it home. We have then started it up again and it seems that it is trying to build oil pressure but just can't build enough. It still has a slight knock. Any advice would be great. I just want it back on the road.

Yes there is oil in it. It is completely full of oil. I would never and have never ran any of my cars out of oil.

Maybe you lost pressure because there is a blockage or something happened to your oil pump. Then after driving it like that it caused oil starvation inside the motor somewhere resulting in an issue in the rotating assembly. I hope that's not the case. Good luck to you.

have you messed with the crank bolt at all? if it's too loose the oil pump and power steering won't function properly. also were you able to have it scanned to see what codes it's throwing if any?

Before tearing into it and spending some $$ do a compression check,inspect plug,look at your oil closely.

have you messed with the crank bolt at all? if it's too loose the oil pump and power steering won't function properly. also were you able to have it scanned to see what codes it's throwing if any?

It's not throwing any codes I will check the crank bolt to see if its loose.

The FSM says this.

Oil Pressure
at idle 29kPa(0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi or more)

at 3000 RPMs 245-490kPa(2.5-5.0 kgf/cm2, 36-71 psi)

this is with the pressure switch unistalled and the pressure gauge installed in its place. If someone can translate that into English for me, it would help me and probably andhop as well.

The FSM says this.

Oil Pressure
at idle 29kPa(0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi or more)

at 3000 RPMs 245-490kPa(2.5-5.0 kgf/cm2, 36-71 psi)

this is with the pressure switch unistalled and the pressure gauge installed in its place. If someone can translate that into English for me, it would help me and probably andhop as well.

i would say you have done a big end bearing or a main bearing.. too much clearance between the bearing , crank and the cap that bolts it all down. it should not throw any codes or show up a low compression. if you plug an oil pressure gauge into the oil pressure hole the reading should be 4.3 psi at idle and has the revs go up so will the pressure to 36-71 psi at 3000 rpm. if its not most likely the pressure is been lost at the bearing that's worn out.. too much clearance

i would say you have done a big end bearing or a main bearing.. too much clearance between the bearing , crank and the cap that bolts it all down. it should not throw any codes or show up a low compression. if you plug an oil pressure gauge into the oil pressure hole the reading should be 4.3 psi at idle and has the revs go up so will the pressure to 36-71 psi at 3000 rpm. if its not most likely the pressure is been lost at the bearing that's worn out.. too much clearance

Just to clarify- nothing at all wrong with my truck, just needed some help putting that terminology into something all can understand. Thanks tomcat

There is something wrong with your 1FZ-FE.

These engines just don't do what you said it did without something happening to it in toto.

Your rig might "seem" like it is running fine, but IMHO, there is something amiss.

Diagnosing on the Internet is tough to do.

Recommendation: get it to someone you trust ASAP and as mentioned above at least get a compression test done. That will tell you the overall integrity of the entire engine.

Then, come back and tell us what the results were and we can assist from there.

I'm not discounting what happened, I would just feel a lot happier knowing that a professional looked at your rig.

Where are you located in the US?

Regards.

ANDHOP is the one with problem, I just posted what the FSM said about the oil pressure. No one else seemed to be helping... lets focus here fellas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom