Operation Clean and Quiet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After picking up the LX and doing a few of the important maintenance items I moved on to the interior. Because the front and middle row seats were in pretty bad shape I started by ordering a set of new seat leather from Shane.
I wanted to pull the carpet, clean it and add some sound deadener to the floor and wheel wells and with the previous owners non smokers it wasn't too bad but still pretty filthy which I expected with it being 15years old :D

Started with removing the carpet and lower trim...
00b11.jpg

But then noticed how dirty the headliner was :bang: so I pulled pretty much everything except the dash :hillbilly:
00b14.jpg

Started scrubbing all the interior plastic, I found that dawn dish soap and brush worked the best on this stuff
00b13.jpg

Used the same method on the carpets
00b12.jpg

During this I pulled the front two seat belts and soaked them in hot water with dawn soap for about 20mins, came out really clean :clap:
00b16.jpg

Last edited:
Next up I started cleaning all the cloth covered upper plastic trim, for this I found that some hot water,
dawn soap and a soft bristle brush worked great on it.
00b17.jpg

00b18.jpg

I cleaned the headliner with a combination of a can of Tuff Stuff and Oxyclean, biggest help was the use of my Bissell,
really nice to use especially when it comes to pulling water out of the headliner
00b15.jpg

Sound pad went in next, using the advice from TexasD90 I bought 100sf of Fatmat
Really great stuff to work with, just time consuming :frown:
00b110.jpg

I also did the roof
00b19.jpg

Putting everything back in
00b111.jpg

00b112.jpg

00b113.jpg

Overall was a really fun project, can't wait for the new seat leather to show up get it back on the road!

Thanks Phil!
Previous experience with Weathertech on my 4runner had me wanting to get a set for the LX but like most know they only make a universal fit set not a custom cut.
So I ended up getting these, they are called Hexomat and fit excellent!
I also like the fact that they hold a ton of liquid. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for a OEM fit mat.

Looking good. Thanks for the lead on the floor mat. Let us know how the sound deadener works out.

I am interested in doing this also. Be nice to have an 80 series quiet enough to talk on the mobile phone in. Let us know how much this deadens the sound.

no issues with the headliner ?

I am interested in doing this also. Be nice to have an 80 series quiet enough to talk on the mobile phone in. Let us know how much this deadens the sound.

Will do

i'm sorry if this is a noob question, but
how long did that take? where you able to do it all in one sitting?

I took my time and only had weekends to work on it, but I would say at least 3 days or 30hours,
also its takes forever for the carpet pads to dry out, using a shop vac makes it much faster

no issues with the headliner ?
Not at all, one thing I noticed is you gotta take it easy on the liner
because the fabric will start coming apart with anything but a damp cloth or super soft brush,
the brush on my Bissell was way too aggressive.

Any problems getting the carpet or headliner to fit back in on top of the fat mat?

poorly typd on my iPhone using IH8MUD

Any problems getting the carpet or headliner to fit back in on top of the fat mat?

Only issue I had was with the wheel wells and the third row seat brackets.
But I just trimmed some of the fat mat out around the mounting plates and it fit fine.

Great

Thx much

Just to toss this out there as you (and others) seek to quiet down our 80's - check your V belts on your motor & see if you have NAPA or anything but OEM belts - if you have the belts that have serrations on the inner side of the V belts, then going to OEM which are solid quiets down the motor considerably - to the point it makes you think you fixed a running issue!

Nice to see another O/C type like me - dirty seatbelts made me do as you on mine - give it another 5 yrs & I'll probably buy at least new FR belts (maybe middle seat too) just as a safety issue - 20 yr. old belts can't be as strong as new ones.

Two things came to mind when looking at your pics.......
1. Your either single or
2. You have a REALLY understanding wife:D

Nice job on the cleanup. I need to do this someday.

Two things came to mind when looking at your pics.......
1. Your either single or
2. You have a REALLY understanding wife:D

Nice job on the cleanup. I need to do this someday.

Haha! The same thought crossed my mind! I'm not sure this is in the cards for me as much as I'd like to... Finding time to do the birfs is going to be tough enough...

Looks great btw!

nice work!

Just to toss this out there as you (and others) seek to quiet down our 80's - check your V belts on your motor & see if you have NAPA or anything but OEM belts - if you have the belts that have serrations on the inner side of the V belts, then going to OEM which are solid quiets down the motor considerably - to the point it makes you think you fixed a running issue!

Nice to see another O/C type like me - dirty seatbelts made me do as you on mine - give it another 5 yrs & I'll probably buy at least new FR belts (maybe middle seat too) just as a safety issue - 20 yr. old belts can't be as strong as new ones.

Crazy you just said this but I just got done swapping both idler pulleys and non oem belts(which were serrated) to OEM belts and thought I was loosing my mind because with it just running in the garage it seemed much quieter! :D
So yeah I can confirm this makes a big difference if you are running non-oem belts :bang:

Exactly, my front belts were almost crusty. Looks like I will end up buying a replacement set for both front sides because the retention spring is failing on the driver side. Love a clean interior :D

Speaking of seat belt age, one thing I did was swap my third row to the second and vise-versa because the third row was never used and the second row looked prety worn.
I saw somewhere this could not be done but in fact the seat belt mechanism, belt length and buckle is exactly the same, even the same part number on the casing.
The ONLY difference is the belt end mounting plate, they are slightly different but not enough to allow you to clear the plastic trim on the second row.
You do need to swap the bolt spacers between the rows on the upper bracket and if anyone is interested I can give more details. Free mod that gives the used second row new seat belt life! :cheers:

PLEASE NOTE! only do this at your own risk! I would hate to be responsible for a safety belt failing because it was not properly installed. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom