Rear Cool Switch: Need Electrical Wiring Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to add a Rear AC to my HDJ81 which did not come with any factory wiring. I obtained already the Rear AC unit (will have it mounted in the next couple of weeks). I obtained also the Rear Cool Switch for the dash. Due to my fog lights/other accessories, I aready have a ignition power ready to connect to the switch. What I intend to do is when I turn on the switch, the ignition power will then be passed to a relay. Which in turn will power the blower in the rear AC.

The switch had 6 terminals in the back. I was able to figure out already Terminals 1 and 3 as illumination. And based on the attached pic from the FSM, I was able to trace continuity already.

However, I tried various combinations for Terminals 2, 4, 5, 6. But I'm unable to tap in my ignition power to any terminal that will allow me to:
(a) provide an output line to my relay AND
(b) power on the built-in "ON" light

Can somebody help me as to how do I wire this switch?
What should be connected to Terminals 2, 4, 5, and 6.?
rearcoolerswitch.jpg

Bump. Anybody?
Maybe you have a wiring diagram for this switch / rear AC setup?

Are you forgetting that you need ground to get light?

To me it looks like you should connect ignition power to terminal 5 and then when you push the button to "on position" you should have power on terminal 4.
Then I would guess that the "on light" needs ground from terminal 2 or the same terminal as the backlight ground (nr. 1 or 3)

thanks Haffi for the inputs. Will try them out this weekend.

just goes to show this is really a very good international forum! somebody halfway around the globe is able to solve my concerns!

I had to look into my EWD to see if I could find something out.

If you look at the pic below, you can see a switch called Rear A/C sw. According to that diagram you should connect ignition power to pin nr.2

I´m really not good with reading these diagrams but perhaps you can work your way around this ;)
Body 90.jpg

By looking at the diagram I´m not sure you can use this switch as you wish.

But if I understand you right you want too feed ignition power into the switch and when you push it you want to turn on the "on light" and get power out on another pin.

According to the diagram there is a diode inside the switch, and if I understand it right you can not get that function from this switch without removing the diode.

But you might be able to modify the switch to fit your needs by opening it and jump the diode with a wire.
After that it looks to me that you can connect ignition power to pin nr.5, ground to pin nr.2 and then you will have power on pin nr.4 when you push the button and the light should turn on at the same time.

Look at the diagram and see what you think, then do what ever you feel right ;) Good luck with this.

Haffi, thanks again. am no electrician myself: the diode part / opening the switch is already beyond my technical limits :) I don't want to break the switch because it's kinda rare to source said switch here in the Philippines.

But you're correct in what I want to do: feed ignition power into the switch and when you push it you want to turn on the "on light" and get power out on another pin. The power-out will be fed to a relay that will provide power to the rear ac.

If this was a factory install, how did Toyota wired that switch to power on the rear ac from the dashboard and at the same time turn on the light?

In the diagram, it appears that the "rear heater switch" controls the fan motor speed via a DPDT switch. One side selects a resistor or not. The other side appears to select a LED possibly as a hi or low indicator lamp, althouth the symbol is not the standard one for LEDs. There is no obvious reason to have any other type of diode in this circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom