Formal introduction with a few pics of the 80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked this 93 up in November. I quickly realized after the drive from Portland to Seattle that I would be doing some work. She made it home with no issues but after some due scrutiny, I came to terms that I should replace the headgasket. Got a couple of my buddies here on MUD together and we tore into the engine. Found failures between the number one and number six fire rings and coolant passages which would most likely explain the combustion in the coolant system. Got it back together with minimal issues and she has been running well since. I am looking forward to the many good times ahead and feel much better aquainted with this engine now that I have had it apart.
Things about the truck:

Wheels are stock painted gunmetal grey, tires are 285 BFG at's.

Lifted with OME mediums- I will be addressing the castor correction very soon.

Sliders and Bumper were built by a very talented gentleman in Oregon and I think they will serve their purpose nicely.

I added SOR camo seat covers and would recommend them anyone with torn up leather. Very durable and fit nicely.

Tore off the roof rack and sealed the holes. This is the only place I have found rust on this truck, so if you have not looked under yours, you might want to think about it.

Sealed up the leaky sunroof with black gasket maker :hillbilly: I actually think that this turned out great and it is holding up just fine. The cab has been bone dry for a month now including the floor boards.

Snorkel makes for random conversation everywhere and I might need it someday.:meh:
PHH is done.

Took off the hitch since I don't need it and relocated the spare inside the truck in a secure fashion that I copied off of someone on here.

I would like to find another 1fz to rebuild in my basement and have ready to swap if need be since this one has 183,000 miles on it.

Don't miss my 60 one bit, and my wife can drive me to the hospital in this one.:cheers:

Thanks fellas, you have already been an asset. Look forward to contributing as much as I can.
IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg

Yeah, I am working on locating an oem style prefilter or having one sourced through Donaldson with work, but I like the ram air one pointed that way as it is out of my field of vision. I have read that it makes no performance impact either way.

I thought I would post up a few more photos of the interior and what I have done with the spare, and the sor seatcovers. The spare is mounted, well sandwiched really up against a water jug that spaces the wheel the right distance off of the window and body panel. I ran a 500lb ratchet strap from the floor mounts through the 3rd seat bracket and and back for strength. In short, it is not going any where. Basically the same positioning as slee's interior mount minus the money. I like having my spare inside, appreciate the clearance and will definately love the decision when it comes time to use it. I have a husky liner in there so I am not worried about the carpet. Also mounted a maglite for the job in the dark. Enjoy.
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg

Last edited:
I've done some more work to the rig lately but have not got a chance to update. The first shot shows how the truck looks after I added J springs in the front. Torfab did the work and recommended I add the J's to level it out. Amazingly, it still has the perfect amount of stinkbug so that I can load it up and it rides level. I am very happy with this lift, no vibes at all and it handles well after the OME caster bushings were installed. The second pic shows what I have cobbled together as a storage solution. Basically a big toolbox full of all the necessities, secured to the floor and holding the Hilift jack in place. I have already had this setup offroad a number of times so I know that it is secure. The third picture show my PIAA lights that I installed. They are the entry level model but double my output with my high beams on. Hopefully going to be able to build a 4x4labs rear bumper sometime this summer if I can find the time. :cheers:
J lift.jpg
storage.jpg
PIAA.jpg

New digital temperature gauge.

I just installed thjs digital temperature gauge. I am getting ready to swap in a younger healthier engine and all new cooling system as I am going to start daily driving my 80. I did not hook up the sender yet, that will get done when the new engine is in and the coolant is drained. The gauge is from Summit and fits pretty well in the little pocket that I installed it in. Just realized that the pic is sideways , but you get the idea right.
temperature gauge.JPG

Hey Legit that temp guage looks great. I've just picked up a 93 and am trying to figure out the best way to route/install an accurate temp guage. Did you have to tap anything on your engine or where are you routed to get your temp readings from.

Thanks
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom