Issues from towing behind an RV? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing another '93 Land Cruiser with low miles that has probably spent the majority of its life being pulled behind an RV with a tow bar. Anything I should look out for here? I am estimating that this vehicle has spent about 50K miles of its life hooked up to the back of an RV. Does this type of towing cause any major/minor issues?

Thanks!

We need more info here.

Ask them what they did while towing it by tow bar. Drive-lines out? Was the rig made part time? Flat towed in neutral?

We need more info here.

Ask them what they did while towing it by tow bar. Drive-lines out? Was the rig made part time? Flat towed in neutral?

Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to ask them (the person who now owns the vehicle bought it from the people who used to tow it) so I am going to assume they just put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and towed it flat with a bar.

Talk to a Toyota store and see if there is a service record to be found on it.

You can scan this thread. Look at the last section. I think we pretty much concluded that not much is going to happen with towing it with 4wheels down and transfer case in neutral. Very long term their might be some minor additional wear on the transfer case, but I would not sweat it. The transfer case on the 80 and 100 is pretty bulletproof. If you need a used one, they are not that expensive.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/325015-need-tow-100-behind-motorhome.html

You can scan this thread. Look at the last section. I think we pretty much concluded that not much is going to happen with towing it with 4wheels down and transfer case in neutral. Very long term their might be some minor additional wear on the transfer case, but I would not sweat it. The transfer case on the 80 and 100 is pretty bulletproof. If you need a used one, they are not that expensive.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/325015-need-tow-100-behind-motorhome.html

Thanks Slee! Keep up the awesome work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom