80 Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coreyshawn.com
Alright guys, I finally have all my parts for the cruiser. I've been on Mud for a while and have learned a lot of great information from these forums. I figured I'd try and give something back and write up a Coles Notes version of what I'm going to be doing over the next bit to my cruiser.

First off suspension,

I've done tonnes of research on the 80 series and different configurations people have done, I finally decided on this:

The control arms in the front are too restrictive so I'm pretty much cutting everything off the front axle and having a 3-link installed, then doing coilovers. The rear will just be 4" springs and shocks.

Next is gearing,

Going to 37" tires once the lifts in, so I'm re gearing to 5.29. Also doing a part time conversion to get rid of the factory all wheel drive.

There's a few other things but I'm sticking to the basics without getting into too much detail right now.

Don't have any pictures yet, just of parts. But as the build comes together I'll post things up and give details.

Are you doing the work yourself? Gathering parts than having someone else do it? What tires you thinking and what are you going with for coilovers? I love build threads, so post lots of pics, even part ones!

You know what they say....

this thread is useless without pics :flipoff2:

Look forward to seeing the build.

sounds awesome. i hope your doin' it yourself cause i want know how tough it is. i'll be following for sure.

Are you doing the work yourself? Gathering parts than having someone else do it? What tires you thinking and what are you going with for coilovers? I love build threads, so post lots of pics, even part ones!

I'm having the 3 link and coilovers done by a shop. The rest is gonna be my mechanic friend and I, there will be lots of pics! :flipoff2:

I went with 37" Toyo MTs and the coil overs are King.

Here's what the coilovers look like. Went with 2.5" remote reservoir 14" 350/400.

img00077201012050833.jpg

Here's the part time kit from Marks 4WD in Australia, went with there locking hubs too. We will see how they hold up. Should be good enough till I can salvage some Aisin hubs.

img00079201012091919.jpg

These are the Slee 4" heavies.

img00065201012031410.jpg

And OME shocks, also upper control arms and sway drop brackets from Slee.

img00069201012031423.jpg

This is what the cruiser is looking like right now.

img00074201012031434.jpg

Other things:

Brake extensions
Drive shaft
Diff breathers
Hook up those fancy LightForce lights
Wire in ARB compressor
Attach sliders and skid plate
Attach WARN 9.5xp
Build rear bumper with reverse lights

I'm sure there is a few other things, that's all I can think of for right now.

You got lots of work to do... I'll be watching to see how this one comes together. Definitely has all the signs of a well thought-out build.

Oh boy looks like I have a lot of work to do. I need to finish my Taco SAS first or at least get it close before I can start on this.

And OME shocks, also upper control arms and sway drop brackets from Slee.

Are those L's? If so, kind of a waste to go with a 3 link front and 14" coil overs then limit the rear that way.

Looking forward to the build though.

Please post up measurement details on the 3-link as this is the direction that I'm headed. There are a few out here but no hard data for me to copy or use as a starting point.

I'll take some measurements when it gets done. The shop he is taking it to has its doubts about fitting in the coil overs but anything is possible with a torch, plasma cutter, and welder. I would have built the 3 link but I already have too much on my plate. I'll measure link separation as well on axle and frame.

I'll take some measurements when it gets done. The shop he is taking it to has its doubts about fitting in the coil overs but anything is possible with a torch, plasma cutter, and welder. I would have built the 3 link but I already have too much on my plate. I'll measure link separation as well on axle and frame.

coil overs have been done before, Jodo did it with his Rubicon Express arms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom