Oil Filter Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So today I bought a piece of junk Fram Tough Guard (TG3614) for my '94 LC. I come home and look at the filter currently on the car that I put on last time and it's a Wixx and is MUCH bigger. Are there 2 different sized oil filters for these trucks? Pardon my ignorance, I am very new to the LC world.

Bloomsburg?? I thought I was the only 80 in town :cool:.

Hey! I just read this post like months later haha. Today is April 16, 2011. I can't say I have seen you around town. Ill have to keep an eye out for ya!

By the way, know any good mechanic(s) who can work on this thing? My front end axles are shot. Click and leaking and all that stuff in the front needs replace. There is no way in heck I can do a job like this either. I asked a couple of mechanics and they frowned at the job, and that was coming from a 35 year master Toyota mechanic. He said its a greasy PAI job.

Do it yourself or prepare to take out a second mortgage on the house.

Use the search function and look in the FAQ there are step by step write ups on it. :cheers:

Hey! I just read this post like months later haha. Today is April 16, 2011. I can't say I have seen you around town. Ill have to keep an eye out for ya!

By the way, know any good mechanic(s) who can work on this thing? My front end axles are shot. Click and leaking and all that stuff in the front needs replace. There is no way in heck I can do a job like this either. I asked a couple of mechanics and they frowned at the job, and that was coming from a 35 year master Toyota mechanic. He said its a greasy PAI job.

I completely "rebuilt" my front end last summer. EVERYTHING was replaced, even a pair of brand new birfs.

I would order an OEM front end rebuild kit from your favorite ToYo dealer/vendor; gaskets, bearings, bolts, etc. + all the oil(s) and grease. <This should cost about $270ish + the cost of oil & grease.

How bad is the clicking? Would you feel comfortable just swapping the birfs, left to right, or would you buy a new pair?...because you will not know if the "swap" was good enough until you put it all back together and test it. If it still clicks, then you will need to take it all back apart and put in new birfs....ask me how I know :eek:. I paid about $525 for a new pair of aftermarket birfs and my front end is better than new.

I did/do all my work at my buddy's house in Bloom, who has ALL the tools one could ever need and who is an awesome welder as well. I am sure for a very small fee and some life-water (for him it is budweiser), he would help you get it done.

Figure on it taking 2 full days and yes it is greasy as hell but not as bad as you think.

I completely "rebuilt" my front end last summer. EVERYTHING was replaced, even a pair of brand new birfs.

I would order an OEM front end rebuild kit from your favorite ToYo dealer/vendor; gaskets, bearings, bolts, etc. + all the oil(s) and grease. <This should cost about $270ish + the cost of oil & grease.

How bad is the clicking? Would you feel comfortable just swapping the birfs, left to right, or would you buy a new pair?...because you will not know if the "swap" was good enough until you put it all back together and test it. If it still clicks, then you will need to take it all back apart and put in new birfs....ask me how I know :eek:. I paid about $525 for a new pair of aftermarket birfs and my front end is better than new.

I did/do all my work at my buddy's house in Bloom, who has ALL the tools one could ever need and who is an awesome welder as well. I am sure for a very small fee and some life-water (for him it is budweiser), he would help you get it done.

Figure on it taking 2 full days and yes it is greasy as hell but not as bad as you think.

Sent you a PM.

The first time you do it it will take about 2 days.... after that one, after that a few hours

The first time you do it it will take about 2 days.... after that one, after that a few hours

I found a local guy where I live who is going to help me out for a good deal. BUt he said I should get all the parts and just bring them to him.

I am pretty novice with this front end set up so can someone tell me what I should order so I can get my front from stopping clicking.

THe guy I talked to said I should get a rebuild kits for the kingpins and also something, I think a rebuild kit for the birfs? At this point I am totally in the dark on what I should order. Any help and recommended vendors would be so helpful!

Thanks,
Craig :cheers:

I ordered my FA rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters.

Ok cool I will check them out. What exactly do I need to order? Keep in mind the parts and front end have 300K on them and I am pretty sure they are the factory originals. I want this front end in tip top shape. Give me a list and I will order up. Gotta get Bessy ready for this winter.

Just call Kurt (cruiser outfitters) or Dan/Beno (American Toyota) Tell them what you are doing and they will send you everything you need at a good price.

Kurt would have it on the shelf ready to ship today as well as overnight.

fram 8a or eq. in tough gard is much bigger with same thread as the smaller 3614 fram
my .02 cents

Is that oil filter mentioned above the next best thing to the factory "big" oil filter?

Fram??? No not by a long shot. If you want something cheaper than the factory one make sure you go with a wix or something made by champion labs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom