Body Color Matched Bumpers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to keep my rig semi stock looking so I want to keep my front and rear bumper and hide a winch behind the stocker and add a tire carrier to the stock rear bumper, but I don't like the color combo very well in its current state. I think I want to color match the bumpers to the body. Has anyone done this on stock bumpers? Pictures if you have. How close is the forest green Durabak to the Dark Emerald Pearl. Should I just have a local body shop spray (6M1) on the bumpers? Any other ideas for matching the paint with something that looks good and maybe holds up better than paint?
DSC01315 (Small).JPG
DSC01313.jpg

Last edited:
The front bumper is a super wimpy. One little bump of a tree or another car and you can easily total the truck. the rear bumper is a little beafier. If you can find a rear bumper cover plastic piece from an LX, it will give it a more finished look. Adding a tire carrier to the stock bumper isn't as easy as it sounds. There is good reason for people putting replacement bumpers on.

Ah, I remember my 80 looking like that! Yeah, the stock 80, all shined up, few, if any scratches or dents. Very attractive! Yet, just as vunerable as any sedan or passenger car to a very hostile environment. You can park it or drive it - it's your choice. If you drive it, it won't stay that way for long - even if you don't take it off road.

You can get after market bumpers & sliders powder coated with your body color - it'll cost you $$$$, but, I believe if you're willing to pay, you can get almost anything.

Thats the thing I don't really want aftremarket or spend the 3K for front and rear bumpers. And I drive it every day at least when its snowing or raining, and it has 130K on it. And I have insurance if someone hits me. I really like the way this LX looks the bumpers match much better. Just looking for suggestions on either painting them to match or something like durabak
IMG_0116.jpg

This one isn't color matched but stock bumpers with winch.
superwinchinstalldayone14.JPG
IMG_0116.jpg
superwinchinstalldayone14.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, my apologies. I re-read your first post. In reading threads on MUD, I've seen so many 80's totaled with just bumper & fender damage. So your insurance idea may fly, for a while. Maybe you should just wait until it gets smacked and then get you an LX with matching bumpers.

Also, there's a thread on here where some mudder built his own tire carrier on a stock bumper. He had welding skills and did it himself. If I can find it I'll post it.

Last edited:
I like that, I think that would look good and clean. the lines flow better. probably would make it look taller too.

heres a color matched set on a non standard paint code. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/361002-overhaulin-lots-pics-3.html

ive seen a couple white matched bumpers and they look horrible, and a few black as well like posted above.

The Forest green duraback will most likely not match well. If it were me and you wanted it lined (personally dont like line-xd bumpers) i would line it with material of choice then spray w/ 6m1. It will give you the rocker shulz appearence you have below the doors. MSGrunt had his liner died to match 6m1 but it definately comes out brighter.

I really like the contrast of gray or silver on the green but not everyone likes vanilla.

Not saying im against color matching :D
bumperday 038.jpg

that looks nice. Spare tire still underneath?

you can go to duraback and have a sample sent to you, i dont think it matches

I want to keep my rig semi stock looking so I want to keep my front and rear bumper and hide a winch behind the stocker and add a tire carrier to the stock rear bumper, but I don't like the color combo very well in its current state. I think I want to color match the bumpers to the body. Has anyone done this on stock bumpers? Pictures if you have. How close is the forest green Durabak to the Dark Emerald Pearl. Should I just have a local body shop spray (6M1) on the bumpers? Any other ideas for matching the paint with something that looks good and maybe holds up better than paint?

Here's mine color matched.
P2061779.jpg

Another view.......
P2061777.jpg
P2061774.jpg
P2061782.jpg

CaptainKirk. I really like that gives it an updated appearance. Did yours have chrome across the front and rear bumpers like mine does?

Does anyone know if there is a spray can that will match (6M1). I know people have found a perfect match for the wheel center caps???

Been seriously thinking of color matching my stock bumpers as well, until I can swing the $$ to upgrade. CaptainKirk, seeing your truck has sealed the deal for me (my 97 FZJ80 is black as well) - looks really good. Interesting that you painted the step plate on the rear bumper as well, hadn't considered that. Might be a good spot for Duraback. Hmmm.

How did you prepare (strip the old paint, etc) the plastic parts of the rear bumper before painting? Mine are a bit crackly and peeling in some areas.

If you did it yourself, what products were used and what paint? It's a really nice match...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom