Is this the "magic" button?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Is this the magic button people here mention a lot?:hmm: At least my two Cruisers have it. Pardon my ignorance but this is my second 4x4 with full time 4WD, my first one was a 79 Dodge and all it had was a lever that said Hi, Hi-Lock, Low and Low-Lock.
CDL.JPG

Nope.

-Spike

That is the center diff lock switch/button. All LC80s have a center locking differential. I believe the 91-94s all had the center diff lock button standard. 95-97 did not come standard with that button, the CDL was locked by shifting into "low" range.

This is the "magic button" to the left of the steering column. You can choose to lock the rear or front&rear differentials. Something like 7% of the LC80s made from 95-97 had the option.

8745d1147042470-landcruiser-s-locking-dif-dsc_0047-small-.jpg

That is the center diff lock switch/button. All LC80s have a center locking differential. I believe the 91-94s all had the center diff lock button standard. 95-97 did not come standard with that button, the CDL was locked by shifting into "low" range.

This is the "magic button" to the left of the steering column. You can choose to lock the rear or front&rear differentials. Something like 7% of the LC80s made from 95-97 had the option.

8745d1147042470-landcruiser-s-locking-dif-dsc_0047-small-.jpg

Thanks for this info, now I got things all clear, I guess the next thing would be ARB'S front and rear.:D

'91 and '92 had the CDL buttons stock. Axle diff locks and the associated 'magic button' (knob) weren't available until '93 IIRC.

-Spike

'91 and '92 had the CDL buttons stock. Axle diff locks and the associated 'magic button' (knob) weren't available until '93 IIRC.

-Spike

ahh yes, that sounds correct, brought back memories of all my criteria from my shopping days lol.

LOL, you don't count. Foreigner. :flipoff2:

-Spike (I need a stock 'US Market' disclaimer. :D EDIT: Even worse, I just saw the OP was a foreigner too. Damn, wrong twice in one thread.)

LOL, you don't count. Foreigner. :flipoff2:

-Spike (I need a stock 'US Market' disclaimer. :D EDIT: Even worse, I just saw the OP was a foreigner too. Damn, wrong twice in one thread.)

That's what I thought so, a non-USA spec cruiser.:frown:

my 94 does not have a cdl switch- the light comes on when i shift into low range-

Everything is there, just buy the CDL switch, plug'n'play ;) 91-92 came factory with it. My 94 I added it and 7pin'd. Check out the FAQ for more good info if your interested.

my 94 does not have a cdl switch- the light comes on when i shift into low range-

This is probably what got me confused, I seen people talking about buying this switch and since my two Cruisers got them, I could not understand what was the problem.

This is probably what got me confused, I seen people talking about buying this switch and since my two Cruisers got them, I could not understand what was the problem.

USA market 91-92 came with the Center Differential Lock switch already installed. 93+ have the wiring in place, you just buy the switch and plug it in. All 80's have a locking CDL. Even if you don't have the switch the center differential will automatically lock when the transfer case is in low. Only a small percentage of 93-97 have front and real locking differentials which is a whole different league from the CDL.

Read the below link to understand the difference between a locking center differential and front/rear "lockers"

Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line

USA market 91-92 came with the Center Differential Lock switch already installed. 93+ have the wiring in place, you just buy the switch and plug it in. All 80's have a locking CDL. Even if you don't have the switch the center differential will automatically lock when the transfer case is in low. Only a small percentage of 93-97 have front and real locking differentials which is a whole different league from the CDL.

Read the below link to understand the difference between a locking center differential and front/rear "lockers"

Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line

So, let me get this straight, when I press the button in High, what happens?:hmm:

So, let me get this straight, when I press the button in High, what happens?:hmm:

Answer: The center differential locks.

On a 93+ that does not have the CDL button you cannot lock the center diff in high but it will automatically lock when the transfer is switched to low. If you add the CDL button to a 93+ you gain the ability to lock the center diff in high. On a 91-92 with the CDL button the center diff is only locked when the button is pressed, regardless of the position of the transfer case lever.

Search. Been covered 1M times.

Answer: The center differential locks.

On a 93+ that does not have the CDL button you cannot lock the center diff in high but it will automatically lock when the transfer is switched to low. If you add the CDL button to a 93+ you gain the ability to lock the center diff in high. On a 91-92 with the CDL button the center diff is only locked when the button is pressed, regardless of the position of the transfer case lever.

Search. Been covered 1M times.

So, If I put the transfer case in low gear, the center differential is locked also? sorry for not using the search, I guess is covered now 1M + times.

The center diff is automatically locked in low range (4x4). The center diff lock "button" give you only 4x4 only in high range. Rather that jumping in and out of 2x4 / 4x4.

It says full time 4wd, but actually, going down the road in high range, it goes to 2x4 mode, otherwise it would eat tires.

So, If I put the transfer case in low gear, the center differential is locked also? sorry for not using the search, I guess is covered now 1M + times.

If your 91 FJ80 is the same as US-spec 91 FJ80's the center is only locked when you press the CDL button. As I stated above, on a 91-92 the center diff is only locked when the center diff button is pressed....regardless of the position of the transfer case lever. On a 93+ it would automatically lock when placed in the 4L position.

'91 and '92 had the CDL buttons stock.

Non-ABS 1993-1994 trucks also have the CDL button as standard equipment (USA Spec.)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom