Fender Cut / Rhinoliner Application *PICS* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was gonna put this in the hardcore section, but I thought about it and the 80 section seemed like the right place. Let me know if it needs to be moved...

There has been a craze recently for rigs to stay low when rock crawling and for good reason. So with that in mind, I started thinking about how I wanted to set up the current project 80 I have. A fender cut seemed like a reasonable place to start. This enables me to gain more axle articulation while keeping my center of gravity fairly low. This is very important considering the size and weight of the 80 series.

This is the vehicle we started with...
First we took the fender off that we were gonna draw the cutting pattern on. We had already taken the fender flares off, which you will need to do.
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg

Next, I decided the line that I wanted to cut. I used a pencil and did it by free hand. It turned out pretty well. I just took my thumb and led it along the edge of the fender well and made a 3 inch line all the way around. I realized that this was not going to give me enough space where I needed it most....
IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0504.jpg

....so I extended the line at the top so it reached 4 inches. This meant it doesn't have the same curve as stock but as the truck goes higher, the front axle is pushed farther back and this will give it the space where is it needed.

The first photo is showing Dave using a nibbler to cut the lines I have drawn. The next one shows the lines I had originally cut on my inner fender well. My thoughts were to bend the tabs from the fender well up and put pieces in between them and weld it up.
IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg

I cut the amount I need to off of each tab to make it fit the new fender. This took a bit of time because I to put the fender on and take it off each time to ensure a tight fit.

Then I decided I wanted to cut out a section of steel to make a new inner well all together. So I got out my 6X4 foot section of 1/16 mild steel sheet....doesn't everyone have one of those lying around?
IMG_0510.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
IMG_0512.jpg

But before I made the inner wells, I needed to reinforce the edge of the fender so I cut out a 3 inch strip to fit it. I used the excess piece I cut off the fender to get the pattern from, put duct tape along the edge and drew the line. I then placed the pattern on the steel sheet and plasma cut the piece. Then TIG tacked it on.
IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg

Now be careful when cutting your inner fender well tabs because I sliced the washer fluid bladder and dumped fluid everywhere. :doh: Finished TIG welding the rest of the fender edge and then made the inner fender well. I don't have any photos of the piece I cut out but all you need to do is use the same line from the fender cut out and then spread it out about 6 inches in width. Cut it out and tack weld is to the edge you've cut out on the fender well. We MIG welded the rest, but it could be TIG welded with some more effort.

I also took the opportunity to TIG up holes around the cruiser I would be rhinolining.
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

These are the lines I choose for my rhinolining. I kept it pretty high on the sides because I wheel with a lot of brush and they scratch up paint pretty well.

Thats all for now, but I am installing ARB lockers f&r this week and we just got a slee lift kit in for this rig at our shop. This summer's gonna be fun!

Boone
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg

That is a lot of work...but, it looks great and I am sure that it will function really well. Great job and innovative.

Looking good! Would like to see the final result!

cool project!!! looking foward to seeing it buttoned up after the lift. Have you checked out bjowett's write up on the rear trimming? LOOKS GOOD.

I am headed to the shop later today....I will take some more pics. When you're working it is hard to remember to take pictures.

I will post some more pics soon. I must have sleep...I just spent two hours (from 1am-3am) replacing my alternator which just died on me. I am running on empty...

....and still checking mud at 4:31am :hillbilly:

wow:eek: always wondered what it would take to cut the fenders, now i know. you are braver than i am !

i want that lift in my garage! hha

looks great on the white

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom