Headlight Condensation Fix (using carma) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my front PS headlamp has had condensation inside the lens for almost a year. It really affects the light output more than I would expect (but it was a lot of condensation). It never seems to go away or even get better regardless of the weather and/or humidity. Before the 80 leaves for a 2 month trip north this Wednesday, I finally broke down and ordered a new headlamp assembly from CDan (arrived Fridy - Thanks!).

So Saturday morning I got on mud and grabbed my FSM and Haynes to figure out how to get the old headlamp assembly out (pretty easy).

But when I went out to the drive to get started, I thought I had goofed and ordered the wrong side b/c the PS was CRYSTAL CLEAR. But I checked the DS and it was fine also. I must say I was stumped - that light hasn't been clear or the condensation even diminished for nearly a year and I know it was fully covered in condensation last week when I ordered the parts from CDan (I went out to check that Iwas ordering the correct side).

Sooooo, I guess it was just the carma of new parts coming from CDan that did the job. I was irritated most of the day yesterday, but decided to put the part on the shelf and check off one more item on my 'to do' list for the cruiser before Wednesday's departure.

I'm not sure where the condensation is that you are talking about (I presume on the inside of the lens/glass), but it might be helpful to take apart the headlight assembly.

You need to remove the rubber tubes, grommets, and everything else you can unscrew. Stick the headlight unit in the oven at 350ºF for a couple minutes (5 or so). As soon as you take it out start prying around the glass with some large flathead screwdrivers. I started at a corner first and worked my way around. It's a pain, but it works. To seal it back up, just place the lens face down and put the reflector on top squeeze them together as best you can. Stick it back in the oven at 350ºF for 5 minutes and then press them together again.

The condensation is (was) on the inside of the glass/lens. I read the many threads on the easy bake oven method you describe (you probably wrote some of them :cheers:) but decided I was too much of a wimp to attempt this without a replacement on hand.

I don't plan to change it now, but when I get around to it I'll try the oven bake method.

***Bringing this thread back from the dead***

I used your instructions Wingman and they worked perfectly. I did have to keep the headlamp in the oven for more then 8 mins before the adhesive would give but it all worked great. I was able to repair a hole in the glass that had the perfect missing glass piece intact and was able to superglue it back in place. After cleaning it up, it looks newer and nicer then the other.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom