3F-E head Ferrea valves and port and polish and flow test results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

matt.mcinnes

2F-ETI
Threads
Just a bit of info for the 3FE guys.

I have had a 3FE ported and polished and new larger flat faced Ferrea Valves fitted.

This will eventually be bolted on to my 2F bock and Turbo charged but I thought it may be of interest to you with regards to the head.

Here is the quote for the work done in Aus$

IMG-1.jpg

The engine builder was good enough to photograph his work though they may not be in order.

2F-EHead1.jpg

2F-EHead2.jpg

2F-EHead3.jpg

2F-EHead4.jpg

2F-EHead5.jpg

2F-EHead6.jpg

2F-EHead7.jpg

2F-EHead8.jpg

2F-EHead9.jpg

2F-EHead10.jpg

2F-EHead11.jpg

2F-EHead12.jpg

2F-EHead13.jpg

2F-EHead14.jpg

100_1704.jpg

The RESULTS

INTAKE
Graph2.jpg

EXHAUST
Graph1.jpg

We intend to run a cam with around .43ins lift

Full details are here

2F + 3F-E = 2F-ETI Into My FJ40 - IH8MUD.com Forum

Last edited:
That looks awesome! How much for the valves? Head and intake runner work? How much for custom pistons? (The man-a-fre ones are expensive and i have heard of some bad experiences with them) . . . great project i love that you are modding an F series motor (albiet a frankenstine one) !!!

That looks awesome! How much for the valves? Head and intake runner work? How much for custom pistons? (The man-a-fre ones are expensive and i have heard of some bad experiences with them) . . . great project i love that you are modding an F series motor (albiet a frankenstine one) !!!

All prices are at the top of the first post just in Aus$ rather than US$ The Ferrea Valves been USA made I think you would find cheaper than here, as for the work involved that you would have to price up in your local market. The above quote just gives you some idea of what is involved.

The JE Pistons will have coated skirts and tops and no doubt will not be cheap but as of yet I have no price on them untill a final decision is made by my engine builder on which we will order. Once I do have I'll post up which we opt for.

Looks great. What is the spec on the valve springs you are running. How much power are you aiming for out of your 3fe?

:beer:

Looks great. What is the spec on the valve springs you are running. How much power are you aiming for out of your 3fe?

:beer:

The Valve springs are suited to the lift, as for output mmmmm that will be interesting for a 2F-ETI

Last edited:
Just an update as we come to select a turbo charger.

Hi Matt,
Regard to our disscussion this morning. The estimated horsepower is 400 @ 5000rpm, Blower boost required approximatly 12lbs, compression ratio 8.5:1 and camshaft specification duration 220deg @.050". Valve lift .475" approx
If you require any further info please contact me.

Regards
Col

attd5be5-1.jpg

:grinpimp:

Last edited:
New heads all but complete and looking :cool:

100_1904.jpg

100_1905.jpg

100_1906.jpg

100_1908.jpg

im speechless....

Holy Smokes, that heat shield is nice.

Matthew

Holy Smokes, that heat shield is nice.

Matthew

The headers are ceramic coated by Jet Hot

The heat shields are a just a high temp flat red exhaust rattle can paint.

Now if you can get a good set of cams to bring the low end torque up..............:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Now if you can get a good set of cams to bring the low end torque up..............:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Low end torque comes with using the 2F block re-bored + .066 taking displacement to 4380cc or 268.5ci and custom flat top JE Pistons to suit a bore of 3.766, sitting on con rods from a straight 6 Jaguar 4.2, along with the custom cam listed above with .475" lift. Should see plenty of Torque

Full details, just follow the link for the Mule.

well... it sounds like you have the heads taken care of , as well as the pistons/rings/cams...:cool:

Are you going to test/use this engine without the turbo first...or are you going straight to the turbo setup...?

[the reason I ask is, most people would go with the engine mod's, less the turbo...just for reliabilitiy/durability ....]

well... it sounds like you have the heads taken care of , as well as the pistons/rings/cams...:cool:

Are you going to test/use this engine without the turbo first...or are you going straight to the turbo setup...?

[the reason I ask is, most people would go with the engine mod's, less the turbo...just for reliabilitiy/durability ....]

The head modification will certainly improve performance and RPM with good torque low down without the Turbo wether you use a 2F block or not, with a good selection of Cam. Though the 3F and 3FE from what I have read with it's shorter block is more prone to failure at higher rev's than the 2F, though I am not chasing higher revs , rather just getting there quicker:D

Without the Turbo though I would not need to upgrade the pistons to such a high standard and a good saving could be made here. The JE's came in at $1850Aus alone though you could still chase the extra cubes. I would still upgrade the rod bolts to ARP as these are a weak point. A stock ECU from the 3FE will suffice rather than needing to spend on a programable ECU another $2000Aus, the Turbo too at around $2000Aus. Not to mention the inter-cooler, custom Turbo manifold, strenghening the main bearings and a few other bits to boot.

As you can see adding the Turbo adds huge to the final bill as I chase reliability and performance. A V8 conversion would be a far better choice financially but then again it would not anywhere near as much fun to build. Also I would look to a slightly higher compression ratio in a non Turbo set up so any Dyno pre Turbo would not show what could be achieved and my even look relatively poor.

If I was to upgrade a 3FE or build a non Turbo 2FE the head work would not be waisted with suitable cam. If I had an 80 series with a 3FE and I was about to have the head or engine refurbished these modification to the head alone would not add a huge amount extra to the bill if done at the same time.

Like I said originally, Just some info for those who maybe about to have some engine work done and with the flow results you can actually see what gains you can make to the head.

Last edited:
Spec update

Cam Spec's: Duration 220 @ 0.050" with 0.430" Lift, center Line is 112 Degrees.

Valve Springs by Crow Part No4832

Full details and info are in the link my Sig

Just a bit of an update

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

100_4127.jpg

Holy smokes! That is one quality build! I'm very impressed. I know you eluded to the fact that a v8 swap would have been a bit cheaper, but now you have one of the coolest, close to stock powerplants in a 40. I like.

Holy smokes! That is one quality build! I'm very impressed. I know you eluded to the fact that a v8 swap would have been a bit cheaper, but now you have one of the coolest, close to stock powerplants in a 40. I like.

It's 99% toyota and 1% Jaguar :D

Now to just fit the last of the extra bits.

100_4068.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom