Mystery molex in back fender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.recordme.com
Anyone know what the male molex connector(about 8 wires) not going to anything hanging behind the rear taillight by the factory sub speaker is for??
Weird.....must be for the south african anti car jack flame thrower option.....
CDan can you get those?

Last edited:
probably a plug for the ambulance doors offered overseas..

There are also open molex connectors back there for the hitch wiring.

Brentbba;17 02291 said:
There are also open molex connectors back there for the hitch wiring.

Ya think??Anyone else know?>? On mine the PO had a schlokey tap job for an aftermarket trailer connector on the jack side fender That seems to be more where the bundles of wires are leading to the rear gate etc are located
D

[/SIZE]
Ya think??Anyone else know?>? On mine the PO had a schlokey tap job for an aftermarket trailer connector on the jack side fender That seems to be more where the bundles of wires are leading to the rear gate etc are located
D

Dude - what an attitude. Trying to be helpful, not knowing if you knew there were molex connectors on each side at the tail light for hitch wiring with the plug and play converter.

There aren't many that put me off on this board with one comment, but you certainly did. Take the helpful suggestion for what it is w/o the attitude next time. :D

Dude - what an attitude. Trying to be helpful, not knowing if you knew there were molex connectors on each side at the tail light for hitch wiring with the plug and play converter.

There aren't many that put me off on this board with one comment, but you certainly did. Take the helpful suggestion for what it is w/o the attitude next time. :D
Sorry for the comment, I always appreciate other's input yours included(read my other posts)
My reply was meant to be totally factual: I was asking if you were sure in so many words, just a discussion no more.
Perhaps you mistook freindliness as rudeness>>?
Any other mudders reading this and if so do you think I dissed
Brent??
Let the jury of public opinion wiegh in on this one :idea:
But again I m sorry dude .......IH8 is supposed to be playtime let s keep it loose eh>?
D

Does your 80 have lockers? If not, one may be for the locker harness.
I was lucky enough to stumble into an 80 with lockers before I knoew S*** about it
D

On mine the PO had a schlokey tap job for an aftermarket trailer connector on the jack side fender That seems to be more where the bundles of wires are leading to the rear gate etc are located
D

The Port installed trailer harness utilized the wire taps. Maybe the plug is for rear air? Get a picture and maybe Prosett can look on his (UAE model with all the bells and whistles) to let us all know what it is for in other applications.

After you get the pic up, make an appointment with your shrink to see if he will adjust your dosage.:rolleyes:

:cheers:
Dave

Any other mudders reading this and if so do you think I dissed
Brent??
Let the jury of public opinion wiegh in on this one :idea:

Sounded rude as hell to me too.

Ya think??Anyone else know?>?

If this were a BMW forum, it would be par for the course. Here things tend to be a little softer, in case you were used to other forums. I gotta say, without the extra punctuation, I wouldn't say you were overboard - but it's not that way.

It is kinda nice to show up here and see people being waaay nicer to each other than quite a few other automotive forums -

---And posting a pic of the molex in question will kill all conjecture and make this a pure informative thread. You laid the foundation for guesses by not posting a quick pic.

Ok the mud has spoken,I was rude
I must say I am a little distraught as to how "ya think?"could be interpreted as synonymous to"what are you, a moron???" I guess maybe using caps and punctuation has more meaning than I realized.
In my own feeble defense I only meant it as a chummy inquery as to how sure brent was and ask if anyone else knew about the matter.
I honestly would not dream of being condecending to a fellow mudder.
I value the forum and will do my utmost to keep it nicy-nice (like I do for the wifey) from now on.

Again,I appologize.

Dan

Last edited:
Again,I appologize [sic].

Most of us don't hold grudges when someone offers a sincere apology. :cheers:

Now, can you work on your punctuation, grammar, capitalization, and spelling? :D

-B-

No grudge at all Dan. Apology accepted. :cheers:

It was the ya think then the rest of the quote bolded. I do know in addition to the molex connectors that the factory or aftermarket plug and play converter for the hitch there was one other molex connector back there IIRC that I don't have a clue about. It'remains unused to this date. I'm the only owner of my truck and it had everything except the hitch when I bought her. I installed the hitch and wiring harness myself.

There's also a gray molex connector outside under the truck behind the rear crossmember that Kaymar uses for its rear bumper lighting. Is it that one or one behind one of the rear quarterpanels?

No grudge at all Dan. Apology accepted. :cheers:

It was the ya think then the rest of the quote bolded. I do know in addition to the molex connectors that the factory or aftermarket plug and play converter for the hitch there was one other molex connector back there IIRC that I don't have a clue about. It'remains unused to this date. I'm the only owner of my truck and it had everything except the hitch when I bought her. I installed the hitch and wiring harness myself.

There's also a gray molex connector outside under the truck behind the rear crossmember that Kaymar uses for its rear bumper lighting. Is it that one or one behind one of the rear quarterpanels[

/I]
The ambulance door idea makes a lot of sense to me since it would necessitate feeds from both sides of the rear to supply the respective doors.

The master connectors for rear electrical are on the alternate side where the factory jack resides.I guess designers have to think of all possibilities in wiring as it would be much more expensive to have multiple types of harnesses never mind different manuals and schematics .

I still am not clear as to whether there is a factory connector in anticipation of a trailer being used(I never said I was bright)

That would mean that The PO should have used that instead of "splicing" into my trucks existing tail and break light wires as was done.

Last edited:
Hoppy makes a great converter box with all the necessary wireing and molex connectors for around $45 if you want to get rid of the splicing by the PO. Converter box and one connection behind the PS quarter panel. One wire from there over to the DS tail light to plug in and then the 4-pin connector out to the bumper from the PS thru a rubber grommet. 5 minutes job and clean.

Hoppy makes a great converter box with all the necessary wireing and molex connectors for around $45 if you want to get rid of the splicing by the PO. Converter box and one connection behind the PS quarter panel. One wire from there over to the DS tail light to plug in and then the 4-pin connector out to the bumper from the PS thru a rubber grommet. 5 minutes job and clean.
Awsome
Thanks Brent!

If this were a BMW forum, it would be par for the course. Here things tend to be a little softer, in case you were used to other forums. I gotta say, without the extra punctuation, I wouldn't say you were overboard - but it's not that way.

It is kinda nice to show up here and see people being waaay nicer to each other than quite a few other automotive forums -

---And posting a pic of the molex in question will kill all conjecture and make this a pure informative thread. You laid the foundation for guesses by not posting a quick pic.
I actually bought an oplympus fe 170 on E bay yesterday so I can post on here(Dont tell the wife she thinks it s for family shots)I am looking forward to sharing pix of all my tweaky mods with my brethren.
D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom