Bumper Holes for Trailer Hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to do something with those unsightly holes in my rear bumper. I do not have a tow package on my '97 80, so I'm pondering the SOR trailer hitch option. However, I really like the look of the pintile hitch. Unfotunately, the pintile hitch does not bolt up to the four hole configuration on a 80 series. I'm curious to know what other 80 owners are doing in regard to these bolt holes. Ideas greatly appreciated.

Eric

I am either confused ???, or the 97 lx450 is different in this respect. ...No holes in the bumper.

R2

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=12417;start=msg113821#msg113821 date=1078250206]
I am either confused ???, or the 97 lx450 is different in this respect. ...No holes in the bumper.

R2
[/quote]

They are covered with that plastic piece in the center. They are still there though.

I think it would need to have a restraint system integrated to the bumper dumper to qulaify. I am thinking 5 point harness with some of those uber cool bright red pads with chinese looking dragons and some weird characters in gold foil printed on them.
Dave

Have you thought about using Slee's 2" Receiver Adapter?

ya gotta have something to wipe with ie the fifth strap.
Dave

[quote author=phatairman link=board=2;threadid=12417;start=msg113992#msg113992 date=1078268519]
Have you thought about using Slee's 2" Receiver Adapter?

[/quote]
Phatairman,
Yeah, I have. The only thing is that this hitch is only rated for a bike rack - not too functional. The other hitch they offer is rated for 2000 lbs.
-Eric

I vote for the 4 point. I think in this configuration, you're going to want to go with the frontal wipe. Not my preference though, too much sewage passing by playground :D.

R2

>> Unfotunately, the pintile hitch does not bolt up to the four hole <<
>> configuration on a 80 series. <<

The 4 holes on the back of the rear frame cross-member are designed for a standard pintle hitch and they WILL bolt directly to these holes.

>> I am either confused , or the 97 lx450 is different in this respect. <<
>> ...No holes in the bumper.

Behind the plastic cover, the LX has the same holes for mounting a pintle hook.

-B-

didn't somebody say in an earlier thread that these holes and corresponding pintle hook were rated for some high load in other countries?
E

Beowulf,
I spkoke to a SOR rep on the phone and she informed me that the pintle hitch will not mount to an 80 series bumper. Where can I find one that will?
-Eric

The rear cross member on the 80 and the LX450 has a standard pintle mount that accepts accessories like what you see on this link. The SOR rep is misinformed.

74118.jpg

-B-

There are several varieties of the pintle hitch at my local tractor/farm supply store that will fit.

Anyone can send me the step plate and trim piece and I will ship the plastic cover from my truck (LX450) - swaps? PM me!

PS Can also get pintle hook style with a ball hitch (ie the 'clamp' clamps onto the ball)

Cheers, Hugh

Ok, I have a pintle hitch ready for install. One thing though, two of the holes (upper) on the bumper are threaded. The two below are not. What size bolt fits the upper holes??? What thread?? I'll figure out what to do with the bottom ones.

12x1.25

Make sure they are load rated as well (or are all bolts this size ok....I doubt it?!)

Cheers, Hugh

What is the rear cross member rated to tow? I see the pintle hooks installed in almost all the 80's outside of US. In the US, we get the 4+inch ground clearance robbing receiver hitch.

aren't these pintle hooks things rated somehow at the farm supply stores?
E

edit: oh yes they are! just checked etrailer.com , these things are hefty, they are rated 20,000 lbs like nothing...
so that leaves only the cross member.
How about putting in a second cross member between the rails and tying that in with the rearmost crossmember or putting in some lateral ties to the rails from the 4 holes area?
and should be easy to find 4 hefty bolts that'll handle 2000 lbs each, no?
Yea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom