another one of those no heat questions.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
searched a bunch. replaced my thermostat today. old one didn't have the upper gasket, put the new one on, complete with both gaskets figuring i'd solved my heat issues. well the car gets up to a more tolerable op. temp but the heaters still blow luke warm. both of them. at the engine bay side of the firewall, hose going in is hot. real hot.

what's next?

have the heater core checked for clogging..

Dont mean to hi-jack your thread here but I PM'ed you about my stainless bumper and havent heard back from you. Do you still want it?

Thread20Hijacked.jpg

i'll crimp off the lines right now and try to wing removing that right quick, i was expecting that to be a culprit but really did not want to consider it. no manual but, well, how hard can a heater core removal be :popcorn:

i dont have compressed air here, high pressure hose work?

Try blowing through it with your mouth.. it is fun, the green water is sweet ;)

(Don't drink the green water please)

pretty sure i've found half of northern californias pine needles in my heater core cover.

if you guys want them back, you know, lemmeno.

well, started in on it again today after work, dash is out, fan is out, ac is out, all ducts are out, the only thing holding me back is where the heater core hard lines go through the fire wall. been on those for, oh, about an hour now :mad:

i'm tempted to slice them off and buy some new universal ones from napa tomorrow. i got the funky clamps loosened up, been tugging on them for forever, and HARD too, and they're just not budging in the slightest. i'm sure them being coolant hoses that they've fused themselves to the hardlines. to be expected. just wish i could get to the heater core side of the ends of the rubber hoses so i could stick a flathead in there to pry them up and off a bit.

guess i'll monkey with them a bit longer before i take more drastic measures.

any advice or, am i pretty much doing it.

heater flush

I vaguely recall a thread where someone had flushed their heater coil with muriatic acid while it was still in the rig. He used long pieces of hose to fill and drain. Am I dreaming this up or did it happen?

no, that's true, i saw that in one of my searches yesterday. my vents and air and everythings been REAKING of dirt and dust though anyways so i've been meaning to rip it all apart and clean everything up real good. i got a good radiator guy down the street from me i was going to drop the radiator, and heater core off for a quick little revamp of each.

it's got the smell of dads old ford truck right now when i drive in it. i'd like to not pass on that memory/smell to my future kids ;)

screw that. i cut them. think i might have my guy add some flanges to it so i can run some more soft lines as opposed to this much hardline. save myself that much more headaches NEXT time. think i'll throw on some more universal clamps too.

kinda bummed that toyota decided to use so many different kinds of bolts and lenghts and thread pitches on all the dash stuff. on my VWs we had maybe 3 different kinds at most. i'm quite sure i'll have a healthy pile of leftovers when i'm done.

too late now..........but it sounds like you have air in your lines, I always get the front end up higher than the rear hose, then open the cap, and let it run with the heaters on full........this will burp the system.

I really can't think of seeing or hearing of many 60-2's with a bad heater core.......these aint GM's ;)

Landpimp said:
I really can't think of seeing or hearing of many 60-2's with a bad heater core.......these aint GM's ;)

Why would the heater core be any different than the radiator??

They get replaced often enough..

dunno, but with 2 fj62's, 1 w/250K, other w/350K........both never had an issue. same with everyother cruisier I have or had.

and really I just cant recall that many heater cores replaced in 60's.

just an observation

most no heat issues on 60-2' I recall are related to the t-stat, gasket or not burbin the system........again, just an observation.

Mace said:
Why would the heater core be any different than the radiator??

They get replaced often enough..

yeah i burped the system too, put the front end up higher, all that good stuff. i searched pretty well before i started everything since i dont have a manual.

just from a quick flush yesterday of the core, there was a LOT of crap coming out of it. it's the first time i've flushed the system since i bought the 60 about 3 months ago, it was filthy.

Landpimp said:
dunno, but with 2 fj62's, 1 w/250K, other w/350K........both never had an issue. same with everyother cruisier I have or had.

and really I just cant recall that many heater cores replaced in 60's.

just an observation

most no heat issues on 60-2' I recall are related to the t-stat, gasket or not burbin the system........again, just an observation.

A theory - FWIW - Weaver's 60 is from California (according to his earlier post) so maybe his heater wasn't used much or at all. Bet both of your 60's have spent most of their life up here in the NW where we use both heaters 9 months of the year...

Like I said...just a theory...

Oh boy am I glad that summer finally arrived...

lovetoski said:
Oh boy am I glad that summer finally arrived...

YES.

i figure, most wouldn't think to fix their heater during the summer. you really only think about it once it starts to get cold again and, you have no heat.

thought i'd be smart this time around and fix it with my shirt off rather then with my snow shoes on.

great wrenching weather over here, i must say. going floating in one hour even :)

good weekend all :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom