Inclinometer in a 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rather than revive an old thread I opted for a new one to show my new inclinometer (thanks sisukid1975) almost installed. I say almost because I have to tear everything out tomorrow and work on a permanent setup. Today was just a trial.

The PO put in the radio and a pocket underneath to fill the gap. I removed the pocket and put the incinometer in place of it. I have to find some way to trim it out since it looks a bit funky on the sides with a small gap. (Any ideas?) It fits nicely on the top and bottom and only required a quick dremel grind to remove a half circle from the lower dash to accomodate a small arc on the bottom of the inclinometer.

Wiring it was easy because my 62 has a clock (do they all?) just like the one in the inclinometer. I unplugged the existing clock, extended the wires since they come up short and plugged it right into the inclinometer. The clock is always on and the lights come on with the headlights. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I know it's a gadget and some will say it's really useless but I happen to like to know what angles I'm climbing. Oh yeah, and I like gadgets :D

:cheers:
1.jpg

I'd like to have one. Mind saying how much you paid for it?

A stereo install shop might have something to flush it up for ya.

Looks like you've got three inclinometers now.

Where are you gonna to put the altimeter?

jwest said:
A stereo install shop might have something to flush it up for ya.

Looks like you've got three inclinometers now.

Where are you gonna to put the altimeter?

That would make sense, something like 2mbb mentioned, but only for the inclinometer sine there's no room aroud the radio.

I guess I'll remove my tilt-o-meter so I'll only have 2 inclinometers to match the number of clocks :D

The altimeter is by Wayfarer IIRC, mountd on the floor. :rolleyes:

Cabron, I bought mine here but understand you can get them from SOR for about $120.00 or $200 on eBay. :eek:

cxs said:
The problem appears to be the non-standard width of the inclinometer, most rings appear to have too large an opening or the second (lower) being the same size as the upper.

Looks good....

Ya know, if you 'd get a 60, there's a hole in the dash custom made for that thing. Real cruisers aren't fuel injected, unless they're diesel. :) :D

What I'd do is get a regular trim ring for a stereo, then a couple little pieces of plexiglas. You could probably get suitable-sized scraps of plexi from a hardware store where they cut it, most likely for free. Cut the plexiglass to cover the gap and glue it to the trim ring. Then hit it with flat black plastic model paint from a hobby store.

Or get a 60. :D

Fred

sisukid1975 said:
Looks good....

Ya know, if you 'd get a 60, there's a hole in the dash custom made for that thing. Real cruisers aren't fuel injected, unless they're diesel. :) :D

I'd get a 60 but would have to swap in a 3FE , auto, and A/C, seems like too much work to have the inclinometer in the "right" place. :D

sisukid1975 said:
What I'd do is get a regular trim ring for a stereo, then a couple little pieces of plexiglas. You could probably get suitable-sized scraps of plexi from a hardware store where they cut it, most likely for free. Cut the plexiglass to cover the gap and glue it to the trim ring. Then hit it with flat black plastic model paint from a hobby store.

Pretty much what I concluded but it's still hard to find one close to the right dimensions. It'll look fine when I get it done, in the meantime I'll be able to tell up from down ;)

Thanks Fred, very happy with it!

:cheers:

I picked one up off eBay for about $150. Now I can figure out my angles as I enter and exit steep driveways.

import silvia said:
So, now that you can gauge your side slope angle, twice by the looks of it, do you know how far over a 62 can go before the roof becomes a support structure. Leaning sideways always gives me the creeps big time.

I wish I did and plan to find out from any method other than self-discovery. :eek:

87CRUSR said:
I picked one up off eBay for about $150. Now I can figure out my angles as I enter and exit steep driveways.

I found I have a lot more 'bounce' in my suspension than I would have thought. The inclinometer shows me more than I really wanted to know as a round corners, stop and go in the city. :crybaby:

cxs said:
I found I have a lot more 'bounce' in my suspension than I would have thought. The inclinometer shows me more than I really wanted to know as a round corners, stop and go in the city. :crybaby:

The inclinometer may not be showing you what you think. If you had no suspension at all (axles welded to the frame) when going around a corner the inclinometer would show that the truck is leaning sideways - even though it obviously isn't. Reason is that the inclinometer responds to centrifugal force as well as gravity. Because of this, the best use of the inclinometer to measure roll angle or pitch angle is when you are stationary.

lovetoski said:
the best use of the inclinometer to measure roll angle or pitch angle is when you are stationary.

Good point, hadn't ocurred to me, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom