Stuck brake drum removal + pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oi! Actually this is just for us rookies, because I bet that most of the professionals have done this a dozen times. But anyway, the left rear brake of my 1983 HJ60 got stuck and I wanted to remove my drum brake, but couldn't. I looked it up in my Haynes manual (yes, I know it's not the best:), but the pictures and explanation for loosening up the brakes are not really clear. So I decided to place some pics.
So here it is. To loosen up the brake shoes from the drum, you have to make the adjuster screw shorter. In order to do that, the manufacturer of the brake assemblies made a hole in the backing plate. From the outside you can't really see (through this hole) what's on the inside, so you'll have to do this by feeling it. When you stick a flat screw driver through the opening (front side, in front of the star wheel), you'll touch the adjuster shaft. Slide the screw driver under it untill it touches the adjuster lever. Push gently against the adjuster lever untill it backs up a few millimeters, so that it doesn't lock the star wheel anymore. Then, with another screw driver, start turning the star wheel downwards (left wheel adjuster has left thread). The brake shoes will now loosen up and you can remove the brake drum. That's it! By te way, in your right wheel brake assembly everything is mirrored. Oh, some pictures are not really what they should be, because my camera is starting to disintegrate:bang:
Problem is, I still don't know what caused the problem with my brake:D
HJ60 69.jpg
HJ60 67.jpg
HJ60 68.jpg

And two screw driver pics
HJ60 71.jpg
HJ60 70.jpg

There are also two threaded holes in the front face of the brake drum. Don't remember off-hand if they are 8 or 10mm, but they are standard cruiser sizes/tread pitch.

Anyway, you can put two bolts into these holes, and use them to help force a stuck drum off. Works great. If there's a lot of wear to the inside of the drum, which has created a lip that hang up on the brake shoe, then as you mention you'll need to back off on the star adjuster quite a bit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom