Diesel H55F To Gas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I remember seeing a thread about someone that got a used H55F from a diesel(I can't find it now) and they were going to put it on their cruiser. I hear there could be a difference between the input shafts. Is there any difference between the gas and diesel H55F?

I remember seeing a thread about someone that got a used H55F from a diesel(I can't find it now) and they were going to put it on their cruiser. I hear there could be a difference between the input shafts. Is there any difference between the gas and diesel H55F?

As I recall the input shaft is longer for the Diesel versions. You may be able to source a gas input shaft, then it is just a question of economics. Try Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, he can get H55F parts.

F and H series are the same, B series have a different input shaft. So one from an HJ60 will work with a 2F, but not one from a BJ60/42.

Ok, thanks for the quick replies.

If it is any help from what I understand the F/H version of the H55F is alot easier to find in north america than the B version.

I want to eventually put a 1HD-FT diesel in my FJ60. However, I was thinking to put a H55 into my cruiser now to get the best performance and reliability out of the current 2F. So 6 cylinder to 6 cylinder, right?? :rolleyes:

It is not a gas vs diesel difference.

It is the 4cyl vs 6cyl difference.

So did the BJ60's come in 4 & 6 cylinders?

I have an H55 readily available off a BJ60, I'll have to see what kinda cylinders hes gots...

The BJ60 is a 4 cylinder "3B" engine, and the transmission will only work with a new input shaft. You can buy a brand new H55F for $2500, and depending on the year of your cruiser, might literally bolt in place of your 4-speed.

-Tor

I want to eventually put a 1HD-FT diesel in my FJ60. However, I was thinking to put a H55 into my cruiser now to get the best performance and reliability out of the current 2F. So 6 cylinder to 6 cylinder, right?? :rolleyes:
No, the H55 is an obsolete tranny that will only bolt up to obsolete engines, like the old F series gas, old H Series diesel and B series diesel.

The factory bellhousing available for modern engines, like KZ, PZ, HZ, HD, FZ, UZ.... will accept the modern R151 and similar trannies.

FWIW, the 1HZ came from Toyota factory with H55F in some applications - 70/75 series cruisers. The input shaft is different than F/H powered cruisers. 1HZ is also known as a 14B (B series) motor (like 1B/2B/3B/13B) but I 'think' the input shaft is longer than 3B/13B but has same spline count. I'm not 100% sure on the interchangeability of 1HZ and 3B/13B inputs. :cool:

So you can put a H55F behind a 1HD -- there is someone on Mud with 1HD-T/H55 in their FJ62. Do a search!

But, as far as I know, H55F is no longer put in new vehicles.

HTH

No, the H55 is an obsolete tranny that will only bolt up to obsolete engines, like the old F series gas, old H Series diesel and B series diesel.

The factory bellhousing available for modern engines, like KZ, PZ, HZ, HD, FZ, UZ.... will accept the modern R151 and similar trannies.

The BJ60 is a 4 cylinder "3B" engine, and the transmission will only work with a new input shaft. You can buy a brand new H55F for $2500, and depending on the year of your cruiser, might literally bolt in place of your 4-speed.

-Tor

Oh, ok. So that's the difference between the H and the B then. I'm not much of a dieseldome...

Gurr,

I think I was the guy that had the thread you were looking for. Here is the link. https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/435850-converting-h55-3b-fit-2f.html

I converted mine from a BJ60 to H55F style.

I never updated on that thread but it was a nightmare that is still going on as I speak. First off, I had to change input shafts, which is a major pain if you don't have the special pullers for the bearings on this tranny. I had to make the pullers and then basically tear the tranny down almost all the way to get the input shaft out. Once I did that and installed the F input shaft I had some spacing problems with the bearing on the F input shaft and I still don't think I have it right because my 4th gear synchro isn't working that great and I have to double clutch to get it in 4th without grinding even though the synchro measured out fine when I had it out.

I also had some clutch/throwout bearing noise that I finally tracked down a couple of weeks ago to the input housing. The 3B H55 input housing is only 35mm in diameter and the F housing is 38mm. I now have so much slop that my throwout bearing chatters and squeals when you drive down the street. I now have to pull my tranny again and put my input housing off of my H42 on the front to fix this problem. I wish I knew this before I installed it!!!!!!!

In short, I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER recommend converting a diesel H55 to work in a gas cruiser, EVER!

I got a great deal on my tranny and thought I was saving a bunch of money by doing this. I would be miles ahead if I had just bought a brand new H55 and had it delivered to my house. This was a major pain! Save yourself! Run away from the diesel tranny!

Don

Thanks for the warning, I'm beginning to wonder if a used one will be worth the difference in price...I may just pony up for a brand new one.

Having converted two trucks now to H55, one with a new one and now with a "rebuilt" one, (and I checked the used one out thoroughly and it came rebuilt from a reputable shop), I would never go with a used one again!

I converted my truck to a diesel (Isuzu 4bd1t) and everything seemed tight until I started driving it and now the shifter rattles and vibrates and annoys me every day. These are the things that the rebuild shop can't fix and one of the reasons I will buy a new one from now on.

Don

I'm running an H55 from a diesel truck (HJ61/ 12H-T) behind a 3F-E and it works perfectly. Mine was used with unknown mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom