ROTM- klinetime574 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
My disease started back in 1984 before I was even born, my parents had been looking for a bigger car because at that time they only had a Porsche 911 Targa, a 914, and a Datsun 280zx. Even only with one kid you can see the problems they would have there. So they set out looking. They looked and Jeep's and decided they were junky. My Dad had heard good things about Landcruiser's. So they looked into them. Called Toyota dealer in Austin, and they said, "we could order one." My Dad took that as a sign they were clueless. Then one day he bought a Dallas paper and saw an advertisement for Toyota South in Duncanville, TX. The price was below the sticker, so they drove up there. They had a whole row of Landcruiser's. And so they bought one in June of 1984. Simple right?

Original Newspaper Ad
ToyotaSouthAd.jpg

Window Sticker
LandcruiserWindowSticker.jpg

9/16/84- My Dad standing proud next to the new Landcruiser
1984Landcruiser053.jpg

9/25/84- My Dad and my sister washing the Cruiser
84Landcruiser054.jpg

11/16/84- Camping in Guadalupe Mountain National Park
11-16-84Landcruiser055.jpg

2/1/85- It actually snowed in Texas back then apparently.
2-1-85Landcruiser056.jpg

12/29/85- My Dad checking the oil or something. Sister smiling for the camera.
12-29-85Landcruiser057.jpg

10/8/88- Dad's 911 Targa in the foreground, 280zx under the car cover, and the Landcruiser loaded with wood in the background. My older brother is in the 911 and my Dad is behind it.
10-8-88Landcruiser058.jpg

5/14/89- Camping with some friends who had an FJ62
5-14-89Landcruiser059.jpg

11/5/89- Another camping trip. My brother, my Mom and my sister.
11-5-89Landcruiser060.jpg

8/29/90- Dad ready for work and brother ready for school. Mom would have been pregnant with me at the time.
8-29-90Landcruiser061.jpg

7/6/91- My two uncles holding my twin brother and I. That's me on the left, and the Cruiser in the background. I was around 10 months old. I was a happy kid apparently.
7-6-91Landcruiser064_2.jpg

I will post more of a recent history in the next post. We shall call it, turning 16. :D

The Cruiser stayed with us for the long haul, after lots of road trips and adventures I got the key's when I turned 16, four years ago. I had found IH8MUD by this time and I wanted to modify my Landcruiser.

Stock-ish form.
IMG_1271-1.jpg

Another view.
IMG_1273-1.jpg

uh oh.
IMG_1391.jpg

My twin brother and I working.
IMG_1449.jpg

My Dad and I working.
IMG_1451.jpg

Freshly OME'd
IMG_1473-1.jpg

Cue the engine rebuild after my Junior year of High School
IMG_1667.jpg

Motor almost ready to go back in.
IMG_2455.jpg

We knew what we were doing. I think.
IMG_2467.jpg

This was the first time I ever seriously took it off road and Lonestar Jamboree in January 2010. I was amazed how well it did Open/Open in mud and slick ground.
DSC00282.jpg

DSC00310-1.jpg

Glamour shot.
4013949110_dd99cd1b84_b-1.jpg

Recent engine photo.
IMG_20101013_172641.jpg

I've been constantly changing and fixing little things. Like re-doing the oil pan gasket, messing with fan clutches, painting engine parts, and fixing the horn. Because everyone knows it's the little things that count.

I can comfortably say this is the best car ever made. Not once has it disappointed me in any way. I can not ever imagine selling this car for something else. It has a special place in my heart, I grew up in it, and always wanted to drive it. Now I get to almost every day. I feel one with the road in this car. What ever way I point it to go it just goes without a problem. Long live the Toyota Landcruiser.

If I find any more old photo's or think of anything else throughout the month I'll be sure to post it in here :D

Last edited:
wow

Man your dad did a great job taking care of it, looks like you are as well. What a great way to get a 60. Enjoy.

Glamour shot.
4013949110_dd99cd1b84_b-1.jpg

This is still one of my favorite photos on this site because the ride height is perfect and I really like those wheels. Did I remember seeing an A&M 12th Man towel in a photo of this ages ago? I've got one in the centre console of my 200 work truck from a visit over there in 2000.

Great story/history by the way, the 80's photos are cool as!! The best history I have on mine is all the crap that has accumulated under the floormats, back seat and fallen down behind the dash over the years. It's like a diesel powered time capsule.....

Nice.
And to think the year i graduated high school your pop was rolling out of the dealership with his new 60.:cheers:

Nice going, Kline! You have one of the nicest 60's around!

:)

Thanks guys!

And yes NQCruiser I probably had a photo somewhere with a 12th Man towel in it. My older brother graduated from A&M and my twin brother is going there now. Both engineering majors EE and my twin ME.

I'm doing Architecture like my Dad who graduated from Michigan down here at University of Houston.

My Mom sent me some more photos I'll look through them and post them up tomorrow. I have a test in less than 9 hours! yay college.

Great story mate. Love the history. My Dad bought an 81 model in 84 and sold it in 98. I really wish I had of bought it.

Thanks Sixty's Guy and Dirtgypsy!

Some more photos:

My older brother drove the Landcruiser before I did, some in highschool, and then in college he got a Honda Rebel 250. We must not have had our 96 Tacoma any more at this point, because why else would we put a motorcycle in the Landcruiser? haha

IMG_0535.jpg

Cool photo I like less than a week after the OME suspension.

IMG_3000.jpg

Me working on the motor during the engine rebuild.

IMG_1764.jpg

Rebuilt motor and OME'd in the driveway. The truck has pretty much looked the same on the exterior since this photo was taken on July 7, 2009.

DSCN0597-1.jpg

Here is a shot my Dad took while I was driving at Gilmer in January 2010.

DSC00243.jpg

I need to take more recent photos of my engine before I can post any :grinpimp:

Commencing photo dump of Engine and Interior.

Just got this awesome filter from ProwlerDriver. Thanks a lot dude!

I love it, carb loves it, it's a win win situation.

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

DSC00761.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

Interior, sorry it's a little dirty :)

DSC00764.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

cool story! I have the same story as you! now I'm 24 but I've been drinving and fixing my 60 since I was 18... my dad also bought it brand new back in 1982 and it was our car till my dad bought a blazer and then left the old 60 seven years in the garage untill I graduated from highschool!

I understand your love for your car because I'm in the same situation! I coudn't imagine me driving another car and feel like I'm driving the car of my dreams! also wanted to drive it since I was a little kid!

cheers!!!! and great rig! take care of it! I'll get some pics of my truck when I have the chance! sorry for my bad english!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom