FJ62 - what is the timeframe for a H55F swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am aware of the costs, question is what is the required time frame? Also I imagine the overall length of the H55F is a couple inches shorter than the A440F?

Also lets say the 62 got 13 before, is there a noticeable mileage increase with the H55F like 2-3 mpg?

thanks, Andre

A solid week end for this... need to take out 2 pedal bucket put in the 3 pedal bucket,clutch booster or master plus the plumbing to the slave,crossmember fabing and installation,lots of beer and freinds to help mess things up and make it a week long project:beer:

Mileage will be way better aprox 16-18 depending on tires

My swap took 3 months because of various reasons but could be done quicker if you had a complete parts list, bought it all ahead of time, had a full time mechanic doing it and if it needed nothing mid stream such as a new output gear. Maybe 24 man hours? Just guessing- plus rebuild your transfercase while your at it and have it apart.
I love the 5 speed- I can even pass other cars now! I went from 9 mpg to 16 mpg.... In addition to tranny, complete engine clean with sea foam, new vac hoses, air filter, spark plugs and redid exhaust with a flowmaster 50. Runs so well now. It has been said before but the 5 speed is the way to go- mine is a daily driver not a crawler so I don't miss the auto wheeling as of yet but first gear is really low anyway.
All said and done I spent around 6 for everything of which 5 was in parts-4 was for tranny and transfer parts like new drive shafts etc and only Toyota parts as well.

Last edited:
It'll take less time than to build the BioPig #2 :flipoff2:

Seriously though, most of it is a bolt on operation. If you had all the parts in front of you, or even a donor 60 to pick parts off of, it could definitely be done in a weekend if you're cranking.

Before you start, soak every bolt in PB blaster on the 62 just to make sure nothing breaks.

Boy a lot of time..

I ended up buying a FJ62 yesterday as a new daily driver, sweet vehicle so far.. Pics to come!

Unfortunately EFI versus manual transmission and EFI won out... :( I love 60s so much though, it will be sweet to have a 62 which I've never had. I had a weird hybrid year '87 HJ60 with the push button 4WD and gussetted axle and some other FJ62-esque features and I absolutely loved that truck... Nice to be back there, same color and everything...

Boy a lot of time..

I ended up buying a FJ62 yesterday as a new daily driver, sweet vehicle so far.. Pics to come!

Unfortunately EFI versus manual transmission and EFI won out... :( I love 60s so much though, it will be sweet to have a 62 which I've never had. I had a weird hybrid year '87 HJ60 with the push button 4WD and gussetted axle and some other FJ62-esque features and I absolutely loved that truck... Nice to be back there, same color and everything...

Excellent man! You'll love the 62. It really is almost the same truck. I've read that a 3FE coupled to an H55 is quite the combo. Start gathering parts for the conversion and do it when you get a chance to!

Yeah, the 3FE coupled to an H55 rocks. I can speak to the mileage from my experience and it comes down to no change in my use. Initially I did pick up a few mpg but started enjoying winding it higher than the old auto so it became a wash for me.

Good to hear. The auto is shifting really well and I found it boogies around nicely. It is weird that I am actually digging the auto but its really not too bad and I can still hold my coffee in the morning.. :) So we'll see about spending $2500 to install a 5 speed...

Otherwise here is the truck, Pretty clean, super clean interior, absolutely no rust other than a quarter size spot under the rear window... Super psyched... Runs really well and everything works including ice cold AC.. :)

Order of mods are:

fix little things, about 1/4 to 1/2 way there. Most of the interior ones have been super easy...

paint/deal with clear coat...

maybe slight suspension lift...

And after that someone needs to slap me if I decide to take on this stuff, but I thought 80 axles would be awesome... And then maybe the diesel of course.. :rolleyes:

Opps forgot pics...
SM_011.jpg
SM_005.jpg
SM_016.jpg

More, interior is as clean as it looks.. Psyched.. Also OEM steering wheel is back on there, a little boat like but AOK... I always like the 62 interior a little more as well including the slow ass power windows.. :)

In a perfect world I almost think the perfect 60 is a built 62, with round lights of course.. :)
SM_025.jpg
SM_028.jpg
SM_029.jpg

Going from an auto to H55F requires removing the dash and installing a new pedal bucket (some have merely welded a clutch pedal cup onto the one in there). You have to drill the firewall for the clutch master cylinder. You have to rebuild your transfer case (at least a reassembly). You have to change out driveshats (or have them resized)...it is a long list. If you have access to a lift, it will help tremendously. If you have 2 or 3 friends that can help, this is a two weekend job. By yourself, you'll need a full month of weekends, easily.

The interior looks spic'n span clean!

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the new ride, Andre!

All of this is eerily familiar...

Good stuff.. You are well man...

Top of the list for a diesel right now would be a Toyota diesel for ease of install, though the $$ factor would certainly be a tough aspect.

Honestly it is running so good as is even with the auto that I am pretty happy...

But that H55F really would be nice...

My initial impressions being away from a 60 series for some time...

Man is it bouncy again (probably largely related to the suspension) but you really feel how odd the wheelbase choice is on these, and how outdated. The rear wheels should be another 4-6" back and it would be a lot better IMO, but no big deal. And what a great truck, I've gone way out of my way to drive all over the place today and it even made my huge Ford truck feel.. Huge, I am loving how well it zips around.. And it is just awesome around town as well...

Hey good timing. I'm intending to convert my 62 to an H55 when I get back in September. My goal is to have all the parts ready to go when I get home so I can use a good chunk of my 2 weeks off to get it all done.

As for the driveshafts, are 60 series shafts the right length to use when converting? I ask because from what I've read, I don't remember anyone who's put an H55 in their 60 having to do anything with their dshafts.

Hey good timing. I'm intending to convert my 62 to an H55 when I get back in September. My goal is to have all the parts ready to go when I get home so I can use a good chunk of my 2 weeks off to get it all done.

As for the driveshafts, are 60 series shafts the right length to use when converting? I ask because from what I've read, I don't remember anyone who's put an H55 in their 60 having to do anything with their dshafts.

I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be as long as you get them out of a late 60 ( post 5/85 I think? ).

That's right. 5/85 to the end of the 60. The 62 drive shafts are totally off, and the early 60 shafts are off too, but either can be re-tubed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom