anti vapor carb fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I bought my truck a few months back the carb fan worked and now not so much. It just quit one day no alarming sounds from the fan just not on when I turn off the motor. DOes anyone know if there is a fuse and where it may be???

the fan uses the same fues as the dome light.

It also has two relays and a thermal switch. My guess is, if it's not the fuse, then the wire to the thermal switch is disconnected or broken. The thermo switch is on the drivers side of the engine. It is connected to a piece of metal that is welded to the pipe that that is used to draw the air in from the PCV valve. It's the metal tab below the port circled in red in the schematic below.

If you ground the wire that goes to the thermo sensor, the fan should come on for 30 or 45 minutes everything you shut the engine off.
egr.JPG

Thanks 2m. Check it tomorrow but where exactly is the fuse??? Talked to the the Toyota dealership guy and said I could remove the fuse under the radio for the starter and replace the one for the fan but he wasn't really sure. Is this correct???

Dome light fuse is in the fuse panel bottom left of the steering column... Little access door you have to pull off.

If your dome light is working, the fuse is ok..

99% of the time the carb fan is not working it's because the wire to that temp sensor has been fried by the exhaust.

If you can find the wire (it'll be a blue wire) and ground it anywhere on the fender, the fan will run for 30 min each time you turn off the engine.

Find the wire, ground it to the fender, and turn the key on and off... If the fan works, then you're good. If it doesn't come back for more help.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/180691-carb-cooling-fan-info.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/277100-carb-fan-wire-help.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/161352-what-triggers-cooling-fan-come.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/181344-fj-60-stock-electric-fan-when-should-come.html

Mine was recently acting up. I could hear the relay clicking on and off behind the driver's side kick panel. I pulled the kick panel and wiggled the relay (very technical approach:D). All seems to work fine now.

Butt

The dome fuse is the 7.5 amp fuse in the upper right corner of the fuse box. There should be a legend on the inside of the cover plate
fuse box 01.JPG
fuse panel.jpg
fuse panel 01.jpg

Yeah dome light works fine, Will start wigggling wires. The fan has been out for a couple of months just haven't fiddled with the issue. Now is as good as ever....

Wires look good.. no problems from what I can see. Relay??? Sensor???

So wigglying a little bit more think it is the wire that goes to the thermosensor.

Some Pics...
IMGP3172.JPG
IMGP3173.JPG

That looks like it, but I can't quite tell from the pic. Try stripping a little insulation of the end of that white wire and grounding it to a bolt on the fender well (anyone) and cycle the key on and off. If the fan runs you're good.

You can also repair that wire to the thermosensor, but not necessary. Just leave it grounded and the fan will run about 20mins and turn off

once again this site pays off. after going for a year w/ no carb fan i decided to fix it. thanks for all the great info.

Mine was recently acting up. I could hear the relay clicking on and off behind the driver's side kick panel. I pulled the kick panel and wiggled the relay (very technical approach:D). All seems to work fine now.

Butt

I had clicking sounds coming from the under the dash as well when the fan was running, then it just stopped working, anyone got a pic of the relay in the kick panel area?

thanks

I had clicking sounds coming from the under the dash as well when the fan was running, then it just stopped working, anyone got a pic of the relay in the kick panel area?

thanks
I'll be jumping back in there sometime later this week because mine is acting up again. I'll grab a pic if someone doesn't post something up first. I may just ground the wire and be done with it.

Butt

Butt that's what I ended up doing it was just too much of a pain to get to the sensor even with georg's advice. And I got little hands. Now it just runs every time I shut her down. For now that is ok I may try again this summer to fixer again.

Mine runs every time I shut her down....I thought this was normal. Mine runs for a few minutes after every time I park her and turn off the key.....3-5 minutes I think is about the average.

My fan seems to be running longer than average (30 mins or so), and today I had to jump the car after troubleshooting another problem where I was turning the ignition on and off all morning. Do you all think that the fan cycling on and off all morning could really wear the battery down that much?

It is also about 35 degrees here in the middle of the day, so if it running on a thermal switch, do you know at what Temp it cut's off around, and where the switch is located?

I ended up disconnecting it today after I got back home. I figured that the problem is not as sever when it's cold out, more apt to have problems with vapor lock when it's warm. I am not expert though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom