Headliner replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm getting closer to ripping out my headliner (which is in great shape). I'd like to re-use it after installing some sound/heat dampener. I talked with an upholstery place here and they can get a new liner for 350$ - same price as from cruiserparts.net for a "good" takeout.

Has anyone re-installed their old headliner? If i pull it carefully and clean up the glue, etc I think i'll save a bit of $ over them doing it. It would be nice to get it cleaned and re-installed. I think there are 2 holes is in and otherwise it's just dingy in a couple spots.

The killer is their labor is $85/hr, so could get expensive fast!

I appreciate any input - if you've done it , have pics etc...

rob

I think there are some other threads on this subject. I'm going to pull my headline out too, so I can get some body work done on the roof. I'm not so sure if its possible to get the thing back in without issues.

If my replacement goes to $ell I might just install some sound deadner and be done with it.

Gotta love the forum. I DID search, and found some old posts 08 and older. I PM'd a couple folks to see how they did theirs... Got a response right away from one and am much more confident pulling mine now.

I also found another shop even closer to me that is going to give me a real quote next week when their installer is back from vaca. So i have a couple options... neither cheap, but doable.

Looking at the SOR headliner as my fallback in case the old one doesnt cooperate when it comes out. Anyone have experience with theirs they care to share? good as original, tight fit?

Im going to try and start removing this tomorrow (have some time at home). Thanks as always for such an amazing group of helpful people! So worth the star to support. I've saved 1000x that over the years now. It really makes me glad when i can chime in and help someone else out.

rob

Are you planing to pull your glass or cut it off as long as you can?
I have to re&re mine too, but i have to shorten it up by 10" as well.
My front windshield is still in so i want to know if it can be done without pulling it.

You will find that its very difficult to get these back into place after you take them out. One of the reasons the shop charge so much is that it is a pain in the a** job and very difficult to make a customer happy. I fixed hail damage cars for years and we would not remove one of the stretch in type. We would make the customer take it to a specialty shop. The ones like they have in an 80 and newer are very easy to remove.

Yours will tear easy, and is difficult to pull correctly around the windows and windshield.

You should try and post some pics of the process. Curious to see how it goes.

Gotta love the forum. I DID search, and found some old posts 08 and older. I PM'd a couple folks to see how they did theirs... Got a response right away from one and am much more confident pulling mine now.

I also found another shop even closer to me that is going to give me a real quote next week when their installer is back from vaca. So i have a couple options... neither cheap, but doable.

Looking at the SOR headliner as my fallback in case the old one doesnt cooperate when it comes out. Anyone have experience with theirs they care to share? good as original, tight fit?

Im going to try and start removing this tomorrow (have some time at home). Thanks as always for such an amazing group of helpful people! So worth the star to support. I've saved 1000x that over the years now. It really makes me glad when i can chime in and help someone else out.

rob

I bought my headliner (haven't even installed it yet) from SOR two years ago and paid $180. WTF!

When I repaint, I am going to replace my old one which is in B condition. I'd happily party with it for $50. It is the gray felt style.

Yes, except early 60s were vinyl and all 62s were felt-like, fuzzy. Not sure about later 60s. Otherwise identical. Tan or gray.

the vinyl / felt cutoff seems to be the same for the narrow/wide cloth pattern cutoff year on the 60's. My 84 has the vinyl, the 87 has the felt.

One of the reasons i'd like to re-do or replace the headliner is because some Asshat glass installer didn't install it back under the windshield gasket properly. So it looks like crap there...

I'm leaning more towards the SOR headliner at this point, unless it comes out super easy... which i doubt. Another option is the upholstery shop may be able to put in a different color. So if it's not too much more $ i may go a darker grey to match the new vinyl i'll be installing instead of the carpet.

I'm going to dive in today and will try to snap some pics.

rob

Please tell me more about the vinyl flooring... Where, how much, photos, etc. please.

Please tell me more about the vinyl flooring... Where, how much, photos, etc. please.

Tinker found it - look for his thread he has pics. I ordered from the same place - Allcarcarpets out of Australia. Was not the smoothest process. Took months to get here (no special backing/underlay etc.), very poor communication (none really). No tracking or ETA. It wasn't super $$, but not cheap either - i think 300-400 iirc. I went with a darker grey vinyl - which is why i'm considering a darker headliner as well.

If i get as much done as I hope i'll try to lay it out and grab a couple shots of it as well for you.

rob

I got a LOT done yesterday. Pulled the edges off carefully (helped it was 80+ yesterday), and marked all the ribs before removing. I'll see how it cleans up (a surprising amount of super fine dust/dirt in back).

I did remove my rear windows to pull it. I'm not sure how you could pull the headliner without pulling hte rear window glass. This works well since I'm prepping for paint anyway and have the aussie windows to go in after.

I'd like to remove the rubber cement like sticky junk they used to adhere all the edges. Thinking goo-gone or similar. ANy suggestions?

I started pulling the cotton padding - what a MESS! I'm going to try and figure out a better way to remove it without completely clouding my entire garage w/ dust/tufts of cotton. The dried adhesive is nasty - another q on what you guys used to remove?

I have a ton of pics, but all on my camera at home... I'll try to post some up later tonight or tomorrow.

Thx!

rob

this is great, thanks for keeping us posted.

Got the pics uploaded, so here goes.

Here's why i wanted to get it re-done. While at it i'll do some soundproofing etc - but some A$$hat glass installer should be dropkicked off a cliff. (no anger issues here...)
DSC_9857.JPG

I'd already started on the DS A Pillar, but here it is still in and nice and tight:
DSC_9838.JPG

Gently peel back the edges (i'd already removed the metal clips):
DSC_9845.JPG

DSC_9846.JPG

Then I carefully pulled the fabric off of the seam further in and walked down the seam:
DSC_9850.JPG

Here's where I realized I needed to pull my rear side windows. I can't see how anyone could remove the headliner with the window still in. The healiner goes up and over the pinch weld completely captured by the window's gasket:
DSC_9858.JPG

At the back, it's easy to pull the pinch gasket/welting to get at the back edge of the headliner:
DSC_9852.JPG

By this point i really had it almost done all the way around. These small black doodads were a real PITA. Finally got under them with a thin wide head flatblade screwdriver and got them to pop out:
DSC_9861.JPG

I'd already dropped the first two ribs, but you can see all the edges off and hanging - ready to pull this bad boy out:
DSC_9867.JPG

Started removing the end of the rib and lowering the headliner down as i went:
DSC_9866.JPG

Here's the rib when still attached. You can roll the rib backwards and they will pop out, but first and last ones a bit more difficult. Not hard really, but i was trying to be VERY careful...
DSC_9869.JPG

I made sure to label each rib so i can put them back in exactly the same:
DSC_9863.JPG

DSC_9864.JPG

OK - a final "wrinkle" (total PITA) to get the last rib down are these 3 clips. Finally I ended up holding the clip with some needlenose pliers and pushing the rod up and off the clip. (you can also see how much of that super fine dust/dirt there is) Also see my rear window washer line I will replace while i'm in here. Not brittle YET... but it's nearly 25 y/o and might as well take care of it now:
DSC_9873.JPG

:bounce:TADA!:bounce: Out and laid out on the new vinyl - zero rips and actually easier than i thought it would be (if a bit slow from being cautious):
DSC_9882.JPG

Final shots showing the interior roof and "silencer pads" - what a joke. 1" jute pads glued to the roof...
Front half:
DSC_9876.JPG

Back half:
DSC_9880.JPG

There you have it - headliner out! I'm starting to de-"silencer pad" it now. WHAT A MESS! I'm figuring out some tricks and will share as i test them out.

Still looking for anyone's experience or suggestions on what will remove the dried adhesive and rubber cement like adhesive...

HTH!

rob

Still looking for anyone's experience or suggestions on what will remove the dried adhesive and rubber cement like adhesive...

Thanks for the pics Rob. Many who are removing that material from their bed area suggest using dry ice to make the adhesive brittle, then it's a piece of cake to chip it out (so I've read;)).

Butt

Would you mind posting some pics of the interior rear passenger roof area? I'm thinking of building a spare tire mount (stripper pole style) and I'm wondering if there is an attachment point near the roof.

Thanks - Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom