A/C Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week a buddy brought his 60 to my house complaing of poor A/C performance. I told him what I did to mine, and how I fixed my A/C. His was exactly the same as mine.

When I bought my 60 the A/C did not work. I went to my A/C shop and had it converted to a full 134 system. It was very cold after, but no/low flow out the vents. A/C shop said it was a duct issue.

I went home to investigate. Started looking around and removing ducts and clips under the dash. After some time with flashlights and a mirror I found the problem.

The cooling coil (evaporator) was completely clogged with lint! I could grab hand fulls (actually finger fulls!) of lint. This blocked 90%+ of the airflow.

Getting inside the box around the coil is a nightmare. I ended up removing the carpet and front seat for room. I then made a special bent air nozzle with a rubber tip and started blowing. I aimed my shop vac to draw in a much debris as possible.

After getting a lot of lint and dust, I could still see many rows were still blocked. Next I used water and small home made nozzle. I also used a little dish soap. Wow... what a dfference. Crud flowed out everywhere. I also found some other areas where the vents where full of debris in the engine compartment and fender wells. I bet this junk helps to cause all Cruisers enemy... rust!

After a lot of time and vac work, I placed a big fan in the cab. The next day i put it all back together and gave her a try.

Well, it works better than I could of dreamed. I now have a meat locker on the hottest day. If you are having A/C issues, and everything appears to be working like it should, try this fix.

Our Cruisers are all 20+ years old and stuff collects in bad places. In this case the blower draws in junk and pushes it right into the coil, blocking the flow.

Check yours out.

Doug

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what did the AC shop charge to 134 your system?

are you talking about the evaporator core? I think that's the name as I recall?

To convert my 60 and replace the hoses was right at $100.00. Yes, I think that is the correct name of the part. It is housed in box on the passanger inside firewall.

I drove my 60 yesterday and the A/C was ohh sooooo nice and cold...AH.

Doug

No, it's the evaporator. But I also cleaned the heater core while I was in there. The core was not nearly as dirty though.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom