Airbags for my FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MANUCHAO

omnia mea mecum porto
Threads
As the title says.....
I got the ARK3004 from Ridetech.com

I got a 2.5" OME Heavy on the back.

Here are some pics...
P1010276.JPG
This are the two brakets that the kit comes with...
I did not know you had to order the air hose and Presta valves separate

P1010295.jpg

This the little spacer/bearing/ring/ whatever.. that goes on top of the leaf pack and under the axle. The bottom bracket has to be drilled out to 1" to accept the spacer.

P1010298.JPG
Drilled out....
P1010276.JPG
P1010295.jpg
P1010298.JPG

The bottom bracket also has to be grinded a tad to it can sit nice and snug on top of the spring pack...

P1010277.JPG

Top side cut/grinded about 2mm on each side.. now it sits perfect on top of the spring.

P1010282.JPG
Bottom bracket ready to be pinched bet week axle and spring..... I did installed the air bag before tying everything up...

P1010283.JPG

spacer sits better now that it did before.....
P1010277.JPG
P1010282.JPG
P1010283.JPG

I got about 4" between the top of the air bag (with no air in them) and the frame... I don't think the top bracket that came with the kit will be strong and/or long enough so, I'll have to see about fabbing something up...

I feel stupid

For a while I thought this thread was about safety airbags. :doh:.

Cant wait to see the finished product

-Carl

So I bought some stock 2x4 rectangular pipe and molded it to the under frame. I think I should be much more strong than the bracket the kit comes with.

P1010301 (Medium).JPG
Cut a quarter of an inch and press it down with a BFH.

P1010303 (Medium).JPG
Now it just needs to be welded..
P1010303 (Medium).JPG
P1010306 (Medium).JPG
P1010301 (Medium).JPG

I was just thinking about this last week. Thanks for posting.

P1010301 (Medium).JPG
Welded in on both sides..

P1010303 (Medium).JPG
Inflated to 45 psi

P1010302 (Medium).JPG
Schrader valve on rear bumper...

My truck never sat soooo leveled before !!!

I think Im going to like them bags eh...
P1010301 (Medium).JPG
P1010303 (Medium).JPG
P1010302 (Medium).JPG

Nice Job Frank! Nice welds too!:clap:

Thanks dude.. I wish the welds inside the frame would of come out as nice as ones on the outside..
Hopefully it wont fall off in the middle of the hwy right ?

Gotta give yah back your FSM or FMS.....thanks brah !!

Bags

Nice work! I really like this idea. It would help significantly with my sagging waggon, but I do wonder about off-road flex. How much can that bag stretch at 45 pounds? Have you tried flexing it out?

Thanks
Ex

I have Firestone RideRite airbags fitted on my rig
prod_info_rr_kit.gif

I must say that the Goodyear setup looks to be of a better design and quality . ( AFAIK not available in my country )
My feeling is that they do limit flex but with the Aussie in the rear I do not really notice it .
They do also soften the ride .

I did that instead of AAL . Now I can have a soft ride when car is empty and extra support when fully loaded . This is a good compromise in an expedition vehicle .
I am still going to AAL soon but still retain the airbags .

Nice work! I really like this idea. It would help significantly with my sagging waggon, but I do wonder about off-road flex. How much can that bag stretch at 45 pounds? Have you tried flexing it out?

Thanks
Ex

Dude. I really dont know how it would be at full flex... Im did some searching and most peeps said it was fine..when they flexed
With that said, my rig if mainly for expedition.
The bag is rated for up to 100 lbs.
I only ran 45lbs to level the truck and its empty..
I might also have to take one leaf out of the pack as it is a heavy set up on the back and the front.
The bag it self compresses to 4" when empty and can go as high as 13" and is rated to 1500 lbs per bag.
They also sell another bag that is 6" empty and 16" when full and is rated at 2,000 lbs per bag. I might of gone with this set up but did not know/ask if they had anything else..

So I think that would address the flex issue but I dont have any personal experience on this.

The other added benefits is that my fuel gage now is pretty accurate... and the whole truck now sits about half inch higher on the front !!!

Very cool..

Dude. I really dont know how it would be at full flex... Im did some searching and most peeps said it was fine..when they flexed
With that said, my rig if mainly for expedition.
The bag is rated for up to 100 lbs.
I only ran 45lbs to level the truck and its empty..
I might also have to take one leaf out of the pack as it is a heavy set up on the back and the front.
The bag it self compresses to 4" when empty and can go as high as 13" and is rated to 1500 lbs per bag.
They also sell another bag that is 6" empty and 16" when full and is rated at 2,000 lbs per bag. I might of gone with this set up but did not know/ask if they had anything else..

So I think that would address the flex issue but I dont have any personal experience on this.

The other added benefits is that my fuel gage now is pretty accurate... and the whole truck now sits about half inch higher on the front !!!

Very cool..

hhhmmm, lots to think about. I also have been thinking about a three plate hinged system. The bag attaches to the top plate, and the bottom plate is attached to the spring pack. If the suspension flexes enough the middle plate that is hinged on opposite sides to the top and bottom plates, can extend. Would have to be 1/4" probably. All just thoughts, but I need to do something. I have a set of AAL in the garage to put in, but I do like this bag idea.

Ex

Thanks for sharing Frank. You should stop by the Trailcrew meeting next month. I’d love to see the setup, talk trailers, and hear about your Alaska trip.

Frank, Nice work. The welds look good but it almost like cheating with your awesome welder. I liked the way dshock did his air bags. He had an awesome tan fj60 with air bags and he put hinges on the bottom bracket to help with flex. LINK

Dynosoar:zilla:

Bags don't replace shocks, they only add load capacity..

Personaly, I would not put anything hinged on the bags..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom