"El Tractor" Replacement Dilema (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
well up here the 88 has a auto and I would stay away from it cause there not easy or cheap to fix .... but down there it may have a 5speed it the 84 is a 4speed the go for the 88 ... if there both 4 spd go 84 cause I like the head lights better:meh:

You know, my wife told me the same regarding standard Vs. auto. I think I'm gonna take a vote, so far 60-1, 62-0. As soon as I can, I'll post pictures of the two prospects.

PS I like the round lights better too.:)

2 Round > 4 rectangle---I agree

Get the 60-not hatin on the 62, but 2F>3F, the head hasn't historically had as many problems.

The auto (slushbox as it is affectionately known) doesn't deal with tire size changes as well.

Even though I'm a proud 62 owner, I suggest the 60 because of the manual...
My $0.02

-Carl

is it a 3F or 3FE? in the 62

I assume as a non-USA/Canada locale, it's a 2F-H42 vs. 3F (carb)-H55 debate. If the 88 is a 3FE-A440F ...........

3F head is the same as the late 2F head.... I'm not sure what benefit a 3F has over the 2F without the EFI set-up, the geometry of the bottom end is more robust in the 2F.

It's likely comes down to 4-speed vs. 5-speed, I would go for the 5-speed.

OH yah,
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Last edited:
I would go with the manual 60 out of those two unless you are up to swapping over to manual when the auto goes out on the 62.

I guess there are several unknown decision points. (1) what do you plan to transfer from El Tractor?; (2) how familiar are you with fuel injection vs carb? (3.) what transmissions are in the two rigs that you are shopping? Of course, vehicle color and number of headlight both are matters of much discussion here, but are more aesthetics than technical.

I guess there are several unknown decision points. (1) what do you plan to transfer from El Tractor?; (2) how familiar are you with fuel injection vs carb? (3.) what transmissions are in the two rigs that you are shopping? Of course, vehicle color and number of headlight both are matters of much discussion here, but are more aesthetics than technical.

(1) I' planning on transfer or keep the wheels/tires, radio, power steering pump, steering box, carb, alternator, carb fan,water pump, and wathever is small enough to fit in a small shed. I would like to keep the motor and the axles, but I don't have any room. (2) I am mor familiar with the carbureators. (3) The 84 is a 4 speed, the 88 is automatic, The 84 is the Toyota deep blue, the 88 ???. Headlights; I prefer the round, since the wrecked vehicle has the 90/100 watt Hella H4 halogens that survived the accident (yes we can use these on the road)I 'll like to keep those.:hmm:

Last edited:
Rental Storage Unit for a few months? I assume that PR has them.

Nothing worse than a crappy/malfunctioning carb to make your life miserable. Unless it's a problem with an auto tranny. Not having had trans problems, I'll take the 62.

Damage Update

Today I finally opened the hood, surprisingly it opened, I discovered that only the radiator is broken. Maybe the power steering pump is bent, so I'm going to salvage whatever I can for the "new" Tractor. I realized that the impact was so strong that the radio came off (it was bolted). The front passenger aluminum wheel is cracked, either the transmission or the transfer case is broken, the engine is fine.

I'd put money on the t-case being blown.

Buy the 60 over the 62 any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom