85 t-case serial # id? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone have a link of a list that I could verify my t-case serial # with regarding year made.? I looked on the FAQ, Tech Links and searched Forums and couldn't find any. I have an '85 fj60 and needed to replace a seal that SOR says is different between early 85 and late 85 and after. I just want to make sure it's an early 85. The serial number is 515858
It's minus 36 Celsius here and I'm playing with cold metal, glad the warmth of the love for my fj is keeping me warm :D

Never even heard of a serial # on a t-case. Where is it located? Sorry I'm not much help, I've never heard mention of a SN cross reference. Sure would be handy though.

edit: Yeah what RredFJ40 said. Where is the serial located. I haven't ever seen one, but I haven't been looking for one either.

EDIT: Apparently I spew knowledge of which I do not know.....

Thanks for the correction CruiserDrew.

Last edited:
hmmm

the serial number on mine is, if looking at the idler shaft end, on the upper left beside the inspection plate.
Mine's a 10/85 and has a 34mm idler shaft.
I phoned SOR and they said the 34mm shafts were used 8/80 - 4/86. But the problem I had was I am replacing the diveshaft t-case seals and they change from pre 04/85 to post 04/85. Apparently the seal thickness changed, the pre 04/85 was thicker and after 04/85 it's thinner, cost savings I suppose.
Now, my new question, which I may have to start another thread on later after some research, is : Can you use the thicker seals on the post 04/85's? Are they less prone to leaks? I've noticed many LC's leak at this spot, looked at about 15 or so, is using a particular brand or thickness of seal preferable?
Thanks for replys. D

The best way to fix this leak is not by putting another seal. It is likely that there is a ridge already work in the flange. Mudrak makes a double seal speedo housing and this will solve your rear ouput leak...

bk

The later model has a 38 mm idler shaft which is the middle shaft in your t-case. It usually has a ground wire attached to a bolt that holds it in. The earlier model has a 34 mm idler shaft.

I also believe this change occured with the longer transmission. If there is approximately a 3 in spacer between the transmission and t-case, I believe the t-case would be the later one.

I know for sure the first statement is right and I'm pretty sure the second one is right to. If not someone will point it out.

edit: Yeah what RredFJ40 said. Where is the serial located. I haven't ever seen one, but I haven't been looking for one either.

Caleb--This actually is all wrong. The 38mm idler started 4/86. It is independent of the longer H42 transmission. The spacer is significantly longer than 3 inches.

I've never noticed any thickness differences.....

Why not use Toyota seals.....?

Most-likely cost less after the $or box/shipping cost is added.....

does anyone have a link of a list that I could verify my t-case serial # with regarding year made.? I looked on the FAQ, Tech Links and searched Forums and couldn't find any. I have an '85 fj60 and needed to replace a seal that SOR says is different between early 85 and late 85 and after. I just want to make sure it's an early 85. The serial number is 515858
The T-case serial number is a combination of date code and serial.

The format is YMxxx
Y=last digit of year
M=letter corresponding numerically to month
xxx= serial number of case that month

If the number on your case is 5 I 5858, that would be 1985, I=9th letter=9th month= Sept., 5,858th case built that month

See below for two other examples.
First is 6J4694, located at edge of PTO port, 1986 Oct. #4694
Second is 9K149, located on top of case, 1989 Nov. #149.
DSC05624.jpg
DSC05796.jpg

thanks Jim C. + others

That's what I was looking for, Thank you Jim C. New at this so I'm just starting to gather my info on these vehicles. My under hood plate says 10/85 so a 9/85 tcase makes sense.
I hope I have that serial number on the top of the tcase that came with my 83, it has a farrie overdrive unit on it and I think half of the tcase is completely different than any I've seen, no serial number to be found. I'll have to post pics on a new thread for that project. thanks again. D

Caleb--This actually is all wrong. The 38mm idler started 4/86. It is independent of the longer H42 transmission. The spacer is significantly longer than 3 inches.

Thank you for correcting me. I had a wrong assumption of the whole early/late model 60s.

Edited my post to remove the spew of contradicting information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom