Power Valve? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an 84 fj60 with the 2f engine and i have some questions.

I took my car to the toyota dealership because it has a hesitation/stumble at around 1500 rpms. When i am pushing the accelerator at a steady rate as soon as it crosses the 1500 rpm mark it sputters and starts to die. Then when I pump the accelerator it will pass it and once it crosses 2000 rpms it runs like a champ.

The toyota dealership said that it was a power valve in the carburetor. Does this sound likely to anyone?

Thanks

Someone correct me because I'm not up on Toyota carbs, but the typical powervalve is the circuit between the accellerator pump and the jet. Meaning that on initial accelleration, the accell pump gives the initial shot of fuel then as the engine makes less vacuum, the powervalve draws more fuel in until the jet takes over. The powervalve has a rubber diaphram that can eventually rot and not function. If there is a condition in the engine that causes a intake backfire or cough, that also can destroy a powervalve. I am pretty versed at Holley performance carbs, but I couldn't even tell you what a Toyota carb looks like.

As I understand the function of the P valve in the Aisin carb it only comes into play when vaccum drops real low. A steady state acceleration should not open the P valve. The check to see if the P valve is working is to disconnect the arm of the accelerator pump and then "goose" the engine. A proper working P valve should let the engine die for about .5 seconds then kick in.

Sounds like regardless your do for a carb rebuild. My guess would be that you have dirt somewhere in it. Maybe the primary slow jet and once the main takes over above 2000 rpm everything is fine.

If i do need a carb rebuild, would it be better just to buy a new carb?

Also does anyone no if this carb will work? I still have all the emissions stuff and i think i read somewhere that this wasn't an emissions carb.

http://www.nardek.com/toyota-landcruiser-2F.htm

A carb doesn't wear-out because there is not that many moving parts. So no a new carb would not be better just alot more $. A carb rebuild kit costs about $60 for the good one that comes with a new secondary diaphram. The rebuild is fairly staight forward. Just be sure to get the actual carb cleaner dip bucket not just the spray. The dip bucket is much stronger and better for cleaning the hidden crap out of it. Compressed air helps too.

no that won't work its for a de-smoged 2F.

A new fj60 carb will cost $600 minimum, I know I bought one..........but I did so for a reason.

a good rebuild will run $200-275. I had mine on the 60 done for $200 and it runs great. Jim C is the true AIsin carb guru. Mark at Marks Off Road also knows his way around an Aisin.......check em both out, both will do you right.

BlueCruiser84 said:
If i do need a carb rebuild, would it be better just to buy a new carb?

Also does anyone no if this carb will work? I still have all the emissions stuff and i think i read somewhere that this wasn't an emissions carb.

http://www.nardek.com/toyota-landcruiser-2F.htm

How do i get ahold of this Jim C character? I've heard good things about him.

thanks humper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom