Freds40 builds a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, we finally got Weak-Link taken care of ( https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/208739-weak-links-60-bulid.html) and now it's my turn.

My last build was a 40 Freds40s' 64' 40
2.jpg

I absolutely loved that rig but I wanted something that I can drive on the street and do long road trips with wheeling mixed in.

I picked my 60 up from Weak-Link for a song and figured the kids and wife would like this a lot more than the 40 so I changed gears.

I really like how Jason's build turned out but it is a bit more than I'm looking for in this rig. I don't really want to lift this all that much and I'm shying away from an uber wide tire. Plus the red L.E.D. dome light gives me head aches. :lol:

Anyway, here it is. It's an 85 with what appears to be bad 2nd gear synchros.

IMG_1255.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I want to address is the paint. It has a nice layer of oxidation. I have some good rubbing compound that does a good job, I just need to take the time to get after it. I'm trying to convince the wife this would be a great way to get involved in the project. :hmm:

IMG_1253.jpg

You can see the test spot I did on the back corner. Can't tell from the pic but I can actually see myself in the paint now.

Last edited:
Jason had the top end torn apart for a 2FE install but he decided to build the other truck. I figured since the head was off I might as well get it cleaned up. I had it shaved .050 and got a 3 angle valve job.
IMG_1251.jpg

I just got the carb sent off to JimC so that will help driveability immensly as well.
IMG_1252.jpg

That's about it for now. Hopefully I'll have the time to get this thing up and running in short order so I can enjoy the summer up the hill and out of the heat.

Last edited:
Good base truck. This should be a fun little project. Are you buffing by hand? It will be worth it's weight in Ben Gay to buy a high speed buffer. :clap:

My oldest daughter, 4, LOVED going camping and wheeling in the 40. My youngest is now 15 months old. I had high hopes of getting them all in the 40 but I know this will be a whole lot easier. The wife is pretty excited about the 60. In a few years, I'll probably build another truck to hammer on, but I'll keep the 60 for the family camping trips.

Yup, I'll handle the tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom